I don't instruct loved ones

REVflyer

I've been a quad-head for about 23 years now, literally dozens of their kites have come and gone through our home during this time-frame. I've helped a few folks over the years with a lesson or a loaner kite too.

My wife wants "in" at KP-2015

BUT

You don't teach your own loved ones to drive a car (or how to play golf!) I can't see her as my eager student with a quad-line kite either!, (she couldn't fully appreciate my unique wit & wisdom)

Last night the wife asked me where her Revolution 1.5 kite was, ... (as it was removed from her bag)

and of course if she didn't, that only leaves me left to blame <HA!> anyway I moved it to the "B'bag" of MY rev kites, but NO she wants to learn how to fly it. You don't teach loved ones to drive and I want someone else to help my "best gal in the whole world" learn to fly. Barbara's got a SLE Rev with 3 wraps all around that was used to teach the Blue Angeles Team how to pilot a sport kite. A pretty cool story too, about how it came to be in her possession.

So she then tells me, as I'm assembling it and confirming it's all good to go. "HEY! I want all your modifications put on it, even the new Shook LED lights! And, change the frame to Diamonds also, but maybe you can get Lolly to deliver the replacement frame up to Huntington Beach so we don't pay for freight (she runs our household's money).

She likes the TC Ultra handles as the winder is built in, but I'll set her up with some no-snags and some proper type of line-set just in case she knuckles under.

She has never touched a sport kite of any kind before, but at least she'll not be banging' your kites during the lesson(s).

So who is going to KiteParty 2015 and wants a mission as her mentor for a couple of training sessions? This is serious, a compensated position in fact, in the manner you see fit (probably!) I'm absolutely certain you could squeeze her for lunch and cocktail if that's to your liking! We will both make this worthwhile of your instructional efforts. Who wants a shot (or tag-team training w/my bride)?

-paul

• Like 3

Ha!! Mark, no Barbara is fully aware that to fly team you'll have to qualify first,... she's heard those dinner-time stories many times. You know, where good friends of ours are forced to go fly over on the side of the group aLOnE for now. She's also heard that the weakest flyer gets their choice of all the kites set-up and that, "that winning pilot" has to go get a different kite for themselves to use as a reward. As the wind conditions change and that newbie comes back for another selection process.

Eventually they are FORCED into the team line arrangement, completely ashamed of their skills (weren't we all feeling that the 1st time?). We usually have them lead the team-line first, so they get comfortable with folks standing close-by. Then they are slapped into the middle, but never offered the "back of the bus" when I'm around. Next thing you know they are one of us and sometimes a leader emerges.

Kent,

I certainly appreciate you stepping up and I will take you up on the mentor offer! Be creative in your dining/luncheon pleasure expectations as well. You will eat like the king when my bride is involved.

Thank you one and all, making it special for my best gal is greatly appreciated. I know she will enjoy a variety of mentors very much, Jim Foster in particular!

Her kite is all fixed up now, with a new Diamond Travel frame coming from Lolly in case the wind is too low. Lights handy, but not affixed until necessary. We arrive Thursday, but doubtful I will see any airtime until the misses is set up properly. We are both "morning people" and from the wrong time-zone by 3 hours. We will undoubtedly by up at oh-dark:30 and work on some kiting techniques or at least have a nice long walk on the pier to se if we can reset our internal clocks.

We'll see if we can set the quad-lined hook for my Barbara as deep as it's set in me!

I have some duplicate revs to share, (bought as one for each hand ~ to master two at once flying) Barbara won't care, she'll want her own kites if it bites her at all.

Best thing for Revolution? She's runs our family's wallet.

It used to go like this...

"Hello Barbara, it's revolution kites calling. Do you think your husband would like a Jose Sainz Aztec bird masterpiece in Red and Black? We only have the one in those colors"

Why would they call me?, Barbara is the DM (decision maker)

I used to buy only Red and Black kites so they all looked the same, oh I was slicker than oiled glassware then! I've had to ask friends if they would please assist me with getting a new kite, I'm too embarrassed to ask her myself AGAIN. Lisa Willoughby asked if I could acquire #54, my great gal said "yes!!!"

I've ordered two, lied about their combined price and said it was just one kite, honest to God lover! That is really hard to do straight-faced with Shook masterpiece kites.

Lately I just ordered the sails alone, with a separately built custom leading edge sleeve (thanks again Eliot!) whether the sail is made by Bazzer or Shook I want it built my way and furnished the materials to have it that way AND pay extra for the privilege!

My wife designs her own jewelry, selecting the stones, swapping sketches back and forth with the designer until she's happy with the expected settings. They can go thru a few clasps, or earing-backers until they arrive at the final solution. They can dismantle old stuff, slag the metal and start all over again. If she gets into Revs like she collects kites or jewelry somebody will be covering the rent for the foreseeable future.

At this moment in time, I can honestly tell you Barbara owns more kites than the number of times she has actually flown one. If you think about that statement you can see my enthusiasm. 20+ years, heck we got married and the next day was the Smithsonian Kites festival, so our honeymoon hotel was close to that field! We'll go to kite fest and my bride will buy a couple of kites and never fly them, times a few festivals per year, times a couple of decades. Oh, she doesn't want the stuff that is commercially available, oh no, she follows Brassington into his hotel room, going thru his luggage looking for that prized possession that is absolutely NOT for sale. That's the pieces she wants! Told Scott Hampton she didn't know how much longer she would live and to quit holding out on her. Give her one of those prized children you've created Scott, your first borne male. None of the items for sale to the public are of any interest. My gal knows how to commission artwork too. Banners and displays that are windless are a particular passion. She loves kids the most so her favorite kites are mini-roks flown on sewing thread. You pick 'em from the crowd "waist-high" participants, each student gets a mentor.

She can't outbid Comras head-to-head at the auction, but she is not above dirty tactics to get her way either. I respect and support her superiority in every way! It's not that I'm a bad husband, it's just that everyone should have a Barbara. My bride should have her own Barbara, somebody who does it better than than you, faster and with more love too. But I'm not teaching her to fly quad

Another option is to teach her to fly the way I learned. Take her to a field, give her a kite, lines and handles, and just say "Here, figure it out".

Of course, that won't win you any Brownie points in the "Honey, I need another kite" department.

Oh, she doesn't want the stuff that is commercially available, oh no, she follows Brassington into his hotel room, going thru his luggage looking for that prized possession that is absolutely NOT for sale. That's the pieces she wants! Told Scott Hampton she didn't know how much longer she would live and to quit holding out on her. Give her one of those prized children you've created Scott, your first borne male. None of the items for sale to the public are of any interest. My gal knows how to commission artwork too. Banners and displays that are windless are a particular passion. She loves kids the most so her favorite kites are mini-roks flown on sewing thread. You pick 'em from the crowd "waist-high" participants, each student gets a mentor.

She can't outbid Comras head-to-head at the auction, but she is not above dirty tactics to get her way either. I respect and support her superiority in every way! It's not that I'm a bad husband, it's just that everyone should have a Barbara. My bride should have her own Barbara, somebody who does it better than than you, faster and with more love too. But I'm not teaching her to fly quad

If I win the lottery I know who I'd like to hire as my personal buyer.

ok, so it didn't go as I planned with my bride('s quad lesson,... like that's a first)

I flew and she mostly watched, except for a night fly and short sunday afternoon session on her single lined kites. Thanks to everyone for stepping up with offers of help and encouragement though, made us both feel great!

• Like 2