insignia tape on the NYM

mbro

So just got the NYM and wanted to get some insignia tape on the back where the verticals go, I'm just concerned where it runs through the venting. I'm inland so usually fly on grass BUT, if I get to the coast won't the side against the venting be sticky and pick up sand. Any thoughts on this or suggestions, I know I could cut it into sections and leave the venting bare but will the rods wear on the venting? I would prefer one piece like my other kites. let me know what you all think!

Michael g.gif

My original rods were really rough and marked my B series sail the first time I flew it. I fitted clear protective tape but hated the look and it attracted grit on the edges.

I sat watching the TV in my shed and sanded both sets of rods that come with it with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper done wet and when completely dry sprayed them with a cheap clear coat from a rattle can.

I did leave the area covered by the sticker as that was protecting the sail in that area anyway.

They are now completely smooth and cause no wear at all. Incidentally they are no heavier either.

I was thinking the tape on the rods thing, as Kent said. Also, on dual line kites i've used small pieces of sticky back velcro, the soft side, on the sail just at the point of abrasion. Works really well and lasts for years. I don't know enough about the wear points on a 1.5 rev to know if this is prectical, however. On a dualie, where the upper spreader meets the spine, the sail over the spine wears pretty quickly as the upper spreader rubs against it. For kites that don't have extra protection there, the velcro really does the trick.

You gonna tape every set of rods that you use?? And I'm guessing that getting the tape on the rods without wrinkles will be a PITA! My advice is if you plan to do it - put it on the sail. If you choose to sew it - either lube the thread and needle (glue is sticky!!!) or wait a month to let it "set up". Still flyable not sewn. Then when sewing - make sure your stitches are large, you don't want to perforate the sail and create a toilet paper type tear point that will rip easily.