Shockwave date?

Dave362

Does anybody know when the Shockwave first came out? I ordered mine as soon as it became available. I pulled it out today to take a look. Man, I think I flew the crap outta that thing! I didn't realize it was so beat up. Also, its starting to smell like fish.... gonna have to keep an eye on that.....

The bag it came with sure is nice. seperate mesh compartments for line and handles/stake

carry on..

Dave

I don't know that much about the Speed Series, but this I know.

Both the Supersonic and the Shockwave came on the market in 1998.

From what I heard once, prototype versions of both were passed around the previous year to determined which should go on the market. It was not conclusive so they chose to market both of them.

post-41-0-84424000-1424458381_thumb.png

Very cool! Thanks for posting the ad. That's my sail pattern. i think they called it berry and grape, or something like that. I could be wrong but I think it was only used on the early ones. This kite is lots of fun in a fresh breeze. I fly it on 100' lines and just ram around the sky. I'm currently looking at NYM to improve my skills, but I'll always enjoy the Shockwave. Simple, rowdy fun!

• Like 1

To be fair, my shockwave came to smell like fish honestly. A buddy and I were camped on a lake fishing. I had a couple of Revs along and he brought some dualies. When the fish weren't biting (pretty much all the time), we flew. He was carving these beautiful precision figures on long lines with his Prism illusion. Truly lovely stuff. My skills, and kiting tendencies are, what da ya call,.... unrefined. I was zooming the Shockwave in every direction and stopping abruptly. Shockwaves are pretty loud, so the lake was echoing with Brrrrrrrrap!!!!!!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrrap!!!! I think it kinda freaked my buddy out......

Anyway, I played in the water with my kite too much, and even though I dried it out, the stench of the place remained. Love that Shockwave. Think I'll take it for a spin tomorrow.

• Like 2

I've also had luck cleaning with liquid laundry detergent, undiluted.

If he uses detergent it will smell like laundered fish. Seriously, though, any very mild acid like lemon juice should get rid of the fishy smell. Vinegar is less expensive than all those lemons. You could try lemon dish detergent and that should definitely do it.

good stuff, gents. Funny, the kite looks clean and even feels clean to the touch. I only noticed the smell when I got close to it, setting it up. Kind of like a private joke between me and the kite. I'll probably use mild dish soap, but I may drag my feet a bit. I have to confess I feel pretty special having a kite that smells like a dead animal.

I can see it now..... TEAM ROADKILL

uh, sorry..............

ha! I'm afraid I'll get banned! Ah, the silliness....

I stil have the original Shockwave video. Interestingly, flick flacs at that time were done by holding both handlees in one hand and yanking on the bottom lines. Still works great for me. I think the handes are too short to do them in the modern way. Another cool thing is the dead launch feature. I think it works due to the shape eof the leading edge, which allows wind to get under the sail when you yank on the top lines. All in all, a pretty cool kite. I'm very much looking forward to the delivery of my NYM, but the Shockwave will remain one stylin' ride.

• Like 1

I don't have a Shockwave, but I do have two Supersonics and a SuperBlast 2-4, which are the same basic sail and frame design. Yes, the rolled-over leading edge gives it that capability. Short handles should still allow the Flic-Flac with ease. Longer handles on the Speed Series, in my opinion, would give the kite way too much input. The Speed Series kites can also do some other interesting things that you can't do with a regular Rev.

By the way, the vinegar cleaning suggestion comes from many years of fishing and cleaning fish. Vinegar or lemon juice is how you get the fish smell off your hands.

One bit of info on the Shockwave, it is a very limited kite these days and has been rumored that Rev has dropped it from their production lineup. The only ones that I know of are the ones still on the shelves of select kite stores. We still have a couple but once they are gone we probably won't be getting any more.

The SuperSonic is still in full production.

not terribly suprised by this. Just glad i've been able to enjoy mine. I think the 1.5 variations offer much more in terms of control and innovation. As I've said in previous posts, the Shockwave will for me always remain a sweet ride.......

Interesting to hear the Shockwave end of production rumor from a prominent Revolution dealer. Makes me all the more glad that I was recently able to acquire one. Power & speed have always attracted me. Even just the name of the kite got my attention early on. I had waited until I had more quad line experience to get the fast Speed Series kite. For once in my life I did not wait a bit too long.