Back into kites

Dave362

Greetings to all!

This is my first post on this forum and I just wanted to introduce myself.

I got my first Rev in 1992. I had taken a job in a kite shop in Clearwater beach Florida while the owner went on vacation. It was understood I would take my salary in shop inventory. His last words before he handed me the keys were, "don't touch the Rev ll. Its mine!" The little door bell hadn't stopped ringing before I was yanking it off the wall and stuffing it in my bag. I put the VHS on repeat and kept the handles on the counter to mimic Joe's moves while I waited for costomers. Each evening I'd close the store and walk out onto the beach to fly the Rev. There was a live band playing on the beach and by the light of the hotels you could fly into the night. I did. Later, I ended up with an early Rev 1 and a Shockwave. I got into two line trick flying for a few years and then got busy with life and wandered away from kites. Just last week a little printed kite catalog showed up in the mail. The bug bit instantly and I found myself online looking at what I'd been missing. I found all these new Revs and this cool forum. Now I'm ready to buy a more modern Rev and I feel once again like that kid on the beach. Would anyone be willing to share a comparison betweeen the B series and the New York Minute? I'm interested in the std version at this time and would appreciate some insight into which might be the right choice. Thanks for your time. I think its amazing Lolly directs her announcements to the family.

Any comments would be very appreciated. Just so glad to be back!

Take care,

Dave

• Like 1

Good to have you back into kiting, and to the Revolution Forum. Also, check out KiteLife.com, another forum worthy of your attention.

As far as advising you which kite to purchase -- well here's a fine mess you've gotten us all into, Ollie.

If I had to choose between the New York Minute and the B-Series, I would choose neither one. I own both. I would go to some fests or fun flys, and try each one to find out which feels better. Since you have some quad-line time on a Rev as you mentioned, you may be able to feel the difference. If you can't, purchase the less expensive or the one that looks better to you. Eventually, if you stay with it, you may get the other, but for a completely different reason. The two kites have different panel layouts, which give them their inherent characteristics. If you haven't flown for some time, you may not be able to tell them apart.

Most team flyers use the B-Series Pros, mostly for reasons of durability and color customization. The Pros are hand-made by Bazzer Poulter, the NYM and regular B-Series are factory made, but regardless of which you choose it will be a good decision.

The degree and location of venting also differs between the two. Again, something only hands-on experience will help you understand. (Believe me, you WILL own vented Revs if you stick with it.)

If you're not confused enough yet, I'm sure others will join in here and share their experiences and preferences.

Welcome back to the dark side, breathe, smile and remember; "we have cookies".

The main difference between the NYM and the B-Series is the extra details put into the NYM. The NYM is as close to a B-Pro as you can get without the extra money. It comes with extra detail stitching on the trailing edge, folded and sewn leading edge ends to prevent fraying and multi panel layout for a wide variety of designs.

The other advantage to the NYM is the way that Rev has incorporated the venting options. The B-Series is only available in a single, mid-vent or full-vent. The NYM is available in, Single Dual-Vent or Triple-Vent, all available in the same color designs for uniform looks with multiple kites. All NYM kites are also shipped with the deluxe "Green Race Frame" for light weight and exceptional durability.

The NYM is also Rev's latest and newest design.

As mentioned above though, both of these kites are excellent and are capable of doing every trick in the book. You will be very pleased with the B-Series or the NYM.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, this is good info. I think I'll go for the NYM std at this time and maybe in time get a vented version. Nice to have the opportunity to meet a few of you. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I get back in the air again.

Thanks again!

Dave

NYM ordered! Thanks for the advice all. Besides the green frame I got a two wrap plus a 90#/50' lineset. I have longer sets aready and sometimes field use is at a premium. Shorter lines can really help. Its been awhile since the kite delivery truck stopped at my house. This should be fun!

• Like 1

I'm in Walla Walla, about an hour to Tri-Cities, if you are in this part of Eastern Washington. Best area in WW to fly is at the Community College on the grass practice field between the baseball fields and basketball dome. I only flew once in Tri-Cities at soccer fields by the Trac. Not sure if they approve of non-soccer usage, but only one game going end of October, so I went to the opposite side of all the fields. I had all the beach bunnies to myself.