Disabled Flyers

FlyingHigh

Question

Hi everyone, I'm needing a little help/advice.

I've just bought myself a rev kite after speaking with John Barresi, the reason for this was I wasn't sure if I could operate a quad line kite. I've less mobility from my right wrist down. I'm unable to twist my wrist to get a vertical grip. my wrist normally sits in a L shape ie my hand points down but I can put a wrist strap on that puts my hand, wrist, and fore arm inline and also gives me some grip.

I'm hoping to go to Weymouth kite festival this year and if anyone is going that could give me hands on help that would be great.

• Like 2

17 answers to this question

First, Welcome to the Forum!

I think we all can assist you with you disability.

I personally am not a doctor or therapist. I am just a REV flier with a bit of experience.

Let us start with these three questions:

- How much movement do you have in your right wrist?

- Do you have any degree of movement right and left when your hand is flat in the horizontal?

- Can you hold the grip solidly even when lines pull a bit?

• Like 1

Would like to see the answers to those questions asked. I've relearned to fly after having a stroke. Fortunately no muscle problems - some with balance, some with vision. The amount of movement is the important thing, Revs are controlled more by swiveling your hands, than the push/pull of 2 line kites.

Hope you can overcome the physical, the mental side can provide so much. The sense of accomplishment from learning this can change your outlook on life in general. For me, it has given me a confidence I lacked after my stroke.

If you've talked to JB, you might ask him about me!

• Like 1

Hi Flyinghigh,

welcome

You should be able to adopt a style to suit your limited wrist movement

There are a few good rev pilots around your area who I am sure would be able to offer support and advice. Northern kite Group run a kite club with members around the M62 corridor and beyond

http://www.nkg.org.uk/

Fusion fly in Herrington Park next to Penshaw Monument just North of Durham most Sundays. If you are close you would always be welcome.

the three question:

I've near enough no movement in my right wrist

I've have no degree of movement in right to left

as my hand and wrist sits normally have near nothing in grip but if I put a wrist strap on that brings my hand and wrist in line have good grip as my fingers automatically clasp up.

if this helps its called a right hemiplegia which means my whole right side shorter and weaker than my left.

my hand sits in a down perdition all the time due to the muscles under my wrist pulling all the time that I have no control over.

I also suffer from epileptic fits so that's throws driving out the window so can only travel via bus.

I suggested to JB about pivoting at my elbow

hope this helps a bit more

It is difficult to say what would work for you without meeting you.

My thoughts were to use arm movement rather than wrist.

As for hand position short extentions could compensate for handle position.

A strap could hold the handle in position and give grip. I have designed something for myself as I occasionally have grip problems due to a childhood injury. It works well for me.

It would depend what level of flying you want to achieve. Most people are happy learning basic moves. As you learn to fly you will develop your own style. This will be influenced by you degree of movement and disability.

I work with people who have disabilities and have taught others with limited movement to fly. You may not be able to achieve a full range of moves but until you try you will not know.

the reason I suggested a club is that it is much more fun to fly with others but I do know other fliers who fly regularly on their own.

Do you have an area near you where you can practice

Hi , I would like to meet up with someone to get some hands on. I've looked into trains up to Durham (unfortunately not a Sunday as limited service) but could get up to you Vince for a few hours if interested. im just think as you thought people with disabilities before.

• Like 1

Here are two of my thoughts on possibilities:

Two hands: With you right hand attached to the grip, see if you can move your elbow in such a way(up-down or right-left) that the top line moves forward and back some with the lower line moving in the opposite direction. If this works then you can use your left hand to do the majority of the controlling.

One hand: Roger Maddy(I think I got the right person) came up with an X-grip back in the 90s. If you can get someone to make up such a grip which is very basically two grips attached to each other with bend facing outward. With such a grip you could fly the REV with one hand. There are some who hold two grips together to do the dame thing, but this does take a bit of experience to do this.

We are working out the logistics of meeting up and looking at intoducing him to local fliers in his area. You would always be welcome John. I will keep everyone informed of our progress and any potential problems we encounter.

• Like 1

We are working out the logistics of meeting up and looking at intoducing him to local fliers in his area. You would always be welcome John. I will keep everyone informed of our progress and any potential problems we encounter.

My meaning "a bit too far away" is like 1/3 the way around the world.

I highly doubt I will make it back to England again as I am a bit aged.

Today I met with Flying high and he lived up to his forum name. We quickly overcome the challenges of handle movement. Using splint and later a simple strap to aid grip. He was able to use lateral movement to the same effect as vertical with extra input walking he was very quickly able to get to grips with the rev. We had a full days rev flying. Great day, and success beyond expectation. a great days flying with friends old and new.

• Like 1

Congratulations, FlyingHigh! Glad you can overcome the physical problems. Flying a quad-line is not as complicated as it seems. There are probably some "tricks" that will be very difficult for you to do, but with time on the lines even these may be possible.

Enjoy the smiles; that's what all of us are in it for. Welcome to the dark side. Don't forget to breathe, and remember "we have cookies".

Yes hand a great day meeting up with Vince making lots of new friends, even better getting a rev in the air. Finding ways to overcome holding the handle and getting the movement to operate the rev. but with some input from Vince we got there in the end. thanks everyone.

• Like 1