SUL as my first Rev?

BookBoy

Question

Hi all,

I've been buried in these forums over the last week in preparation for entering the world of serious kites, but still have a couple of questions.

My small amount of kite experience is a cheap 2 line kite bought in a toy store while on holidays 12 years ago. I've had a great time flying it 5 or 6 times a year when we happen to be at the beach but started wondering if there were better kites out there. That's when I stumbled across Revs.

From what I've read, the basic answer to "Which Rev?", is the one you can afford. So while my budget is still not quite settled, I may be looking at an EXP, SLE, or the slight possibility of a B-series.

My big question is around getting more flying time by heading to the local football ground down the road instead of waiting for the chance to hit the beach. I'm not sure how strong or consistent the winds are here, but certainly a lot lighter than I see at the beach.

So, in a long winded (!) way I arrive at the question - what about an SLE SUL as my first REV to give me the best chance of flying locally? Will it be too fragile given I'll probably keep crashing it into grass and dirt? Will I have problems with the SUL bridle? Will it let me down in stronger winds when I do go to the beach?

Am I better off saving a bit longer for a B-series so the 2 wrap frame serves as my SUL option, maybe with some 50# x 50' lines as well? I presume if I were to expect to only ever have one kite this may be the best option.

Or perhaps stick with an EXP for now and some money in the bank towards the next kite when I'm a bit more experienced.

Of course I could always stick with dual lines and for the price of an EXP get a Prism Quantum and a 4D giving me a good range of winds.

I am so hooked, and I haven't even bought the kite yet. Some guys have a mid life crisis and buy a sports car, looks like my sports car might be a kite!

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks

Jonathan

Melbourne, Australia

• Like 2

Difficult to break one tube in shipment without damaging all or some of the others. Check the rest of the tubes closely for any splintering. Once the force of the wind pushes on the sail, any splintered tube will break immediately, and possibly poke a hole in the sail. Gently twist each tube by grabbing one end in each hand and apply some torque. If you hear and/or feel any "crunching" it is broken.

Glad you got your new kite, sorry about the break. It looks good as does your new avatar, although I kind of got used to your old one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip.

I had an even more careful look at them all this morning and found one of the other rods is also damaged. Barely noticeable at first, but I saw a small crease on the sticker. Sure enough, if I put some pressure the the right direction, it bends slightly right where the crease is.

• Like 1

First flight today!

The wind was very light and inconsistent. My replacement 3 wrap frame hadn't arrived so I was risking the 2 wrap. But it was sunny, I had the day off work, and a brand new rev sitting in front of me.

I had a few short flights. A few smooth landings. A number of rough landings. I got excited just by being able to rotate it from leading edge down to upright before launching. I actually did an inverted hover. By accident.

I have to retrain my instinct to pull on the whole handle when I just need to tap the brake. I have to re watch all of JB's videos for the 10th time. I eventually gave in to the lack of wind and swapped the rev for my Zero G.

But I flew my rev. And had a ball 😃

post-5602-0-57835100-1423816211_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cool -- Rev looks great, field looks great. Let the fun begin. As a famous sea captain once said, " ... I have not yet begun to smile." Or something like that. Much more fun, coming to your neighborhood soon!

I know how much you want to rock and roll, but practice very basic moves first, each time you fly. You must have a good foundation on which to build every thing else you can do with a Quad-Line kite. Saving the fun stuff until you've practiced will give you more control and even more fun. Fly straight up, keeping the kite balanced, and then back it down to a landing. Do this at least ten times. Next, go up and turn towards the ground, fly towards the ground as slowly as you can without wobbling too much. Do this at least ten times. Launch and practice turns by flying figure-eights. Do at least ten. Practice holding your kite motionless in all positions, ten reps, woven in between the other things you are practicing.

When you've done 100 of each you will have pretty good control of your kite, and will have a decent inverted hover. That is accomplished by turning towards the ground at the top, (item two in the paragraph above), and flying towards the ground as slowly as you can, trying for slower each time. Trust me, do this 100+ times and you will have an inverted hover.

Practice these basics each time you fly, several times if wind and time allow, and you'll be flying like a Pro in no time. DO NOT PRACTICE for more than 30 minutes without taking a break and goofing around -- don't overthink what you are doing, try to feel what the kite and wind want to do. You can't control the wind, but you CAN adjust the sails.

Most of all, smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe. Remember, we have cookies.

• Like 1

Like RevWizard, I started on my own and wasn't aware of any kite forums. After a whole summer of flying, about 20 hours per week, I only had basic control of my kite. Then towards the end of September it clicked, and I began flying the kite instead of it flying me. Next Spring I happened upon a guy named Jeff Faje at one of the places I flew my kites, Busse Woods, and he informed of Illinois Kite Enthusiasts. Joined the club, and with the guidance of other members, in one year they got me three times further than I had gotten on my own. Get with other flyers if you can, ask questions on the kite forums and watch John Barresi's tutorials until you are sick of them, and then watch them again. I watch them all every Spring, including Line Management, and all the very basic skills, and always find something that will make me a better flyer.

• Like 1

I know this forum is about buying your first Rev, but I thought I'd mention I'm already planning how I'm going to buy my second. Foolishly tried to fly my Rev in winds that were clearly too strong. I didn't break anything, but one launch showed me there was no way I was able to control it.

I need a full vent for days like this!

• Like 1

Other option is to buy a really beat up old Rev and burn a bunch of holes in it -- seriously, it works. That's how vented kites got started.

Tried to find an image of one for you that looks like Swiss Cheese that I've seen before, and one where the owner used his cigar to make holes, but they're not coming up. I'll look some more and post a pic if I can find one.

John B may be able to help us here.

This isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it should give you a pretty good idea.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.revkites.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F4992-what-is-a-teabag%2F&ei=S5niVJfFCNSxogSlt4HIBw&psig=AFQjCNFKR0H4z03QjaZRfq0NYU7KEfOV8w&ust=1424222691496761

The placement and size of the holes is up to you.