SUL as my first Rev?

BookBoy

Question

Hi all,

I've been buried in these forums over the last week in preparation for entering the world of serious kites, but still have a couple of questions.

My small amount of kite experience is a cheap 2 line kite bought in a toy store while on holidays 12 years ago. I've had a great time flying it 5 or 6 times a year when we happen to be at the beach but started wondering if there were better kites out there. That's when I stumbled across Revs.

From what I've read, the basic answer to "Which Rev?", is the one you can afford. So while my budget is still not quite settled, I may be looking at an EXP, SLE, or the slight possibility of a B-series.

My big question is around getting more flying time by heading to the local football ground down the road instead of waiting for the chance to hit the beach. I'm not sure how strong or consistent the winds are here, but certainly a lot lighter than I see at the beach.

So, in a long winded (!) way I arrive at the question - what about an SLE SUL as my first REV to give me the best chance of flying locally? Will it be too fragile given I'll probably keep crashing it into grass and dirt? Will I have problems with the SUL bridle? Will it let me down in stronger winds when I do go to the beach?

Am I better off saving a bit longer for a B-series so the 2 wrap frame serves as my SUL option, maybe with some 50# x 50' lines as well? I presume if I were to expect to only ever have one kite this may be the best option.

Or perhaps stick with an EXP for now and some money in the bank towards the next kite when I'm a bit more experienced.

Of course I could always stick with dual lines and for the price of an EXP get a Prism Quantum and a 4D giving me a good range of winds.

I am so hooked, and I haven't even bought the kite yet. Some guys have a mid life crisis and buy a sports car, looks like my sports car might be a kite!

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks

Jonathan

Melbourne, Australia

• Like 2

Less than a week to go. I've also got a 2 day solo beachside escape booked in a couple of weeks - some dedicated kite flying time :-)

I'll admit to suffering some cold feet about spending so much on a kite that does seem a bit complicated to fly. But I think I'm at the point where I have to get one and at least give it a try.

Jonathan

• Like 2

Get through the growing pains and it becomes a life long chase to perfect your technique!!

As you learn - remember - Give to the kite. If in a crash, there is no avoiding it, step forward, throw your hands out, lessen the impact! Pulling just drives the kite into Mother Earth harder and risks damage! GIVE! ani_idea.gif

• Like 1

The price will be forgotten in no time. Flying a Rev isn't complicated, just a little weird to start with. Pretty soon you'll just react, then you'll be "driving" it.

I think Revolution should put warning labels on the packaging,

"Caution, this product is extremely habit forming." Trouble is the only cure is ANOTHER ONE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Being the closest to a newbie, this has been my progression.

I blew through the intro and novice videos by JB. Lot's of flying around learning basic controls

Intermediate videos were harder. Spent more time trying to hone basic skills. Also flying in different wind conditions because the seasons were changing.

Someone told me to fly with purpose when practicing and that helped to make more progress on specific skills.

Now, I'm learning more to play with tuning the kite or changing equipment for conditions. There are going to be plateaus in your progression, but it should always be fun.

Just don't try to do too much at once. I invested the time in some skills that were a great base for more advanced moves, but perfecting some things to keep in your pocket helps on those days when you feel like you're not making any progress at all.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reassurance. I've watched a bunch more rev videos and absolutely have to have one and give it a go. I get seriously blown away by what they can do in the right hands. Hopefully I'll be in a position to place my order on Thursday or Friday :-)

Mind you, I bought myself a Zero G to play with in the meantime and I'm all over this gliding kite idea - so much fun! I can also see an iflite and a Wala XL in my future. Plus the vented Rev. Plus... oh no, I have a problem!

jonathan

PS. Is it normal to start taking notice of the wind every moment of every day and think about what kite you could be flying right now?

• Like 1

kite:

full sail, B-series or NYM, with Revolution's Diamond (instead of the 2 wrap) and a Green Race (instead of the 3 wrap) upgraded frame options

Seriously consider the travel frame option and a couple of additional sticks w/ and w/o ferules. Now you can make hybrid frame experiments and any damage is quickly swapped out as 1/6 of the cost. Plus, living in the other hemisphere you bought spare tubes just in case. Learn a few hours on the green race first and then tryout those diamonds, Your kite has a huge wind range (zero to mid-double digit mph)

bits:

12 feet of "hi-test bridle line, 100# strength" to make you own adjustable leaders. Two different colors would be a very nice addition,... wink, wink

a roll of vinyl electrical tape (I like red on the right handle, so they easier to identify when laying on the ground). You can make a quick sand cap cover for the beach, so the tubes don't get stuck in the caps)

a long phillips head screw-driver and a carbiner clip, for tuning line lengths as a stationary point

a couple of sharpie markers (Silver & black, Red & blue, Green & orange)

handles:

13 inch minimum, (might enjoy the 15s more), no-snags, (or create your own no-snags from the steel handles with a dry-wall moly and trumpet headed wood screw)

Lessons:

you need to make certain you can meet-up with another quad-head at your earliest possible convenience

(this travel time will save you vast amounts of money in the long run and cut YEARS off of your learning curve too)

kite-Friends:

Bring the family (after you get a handle on the lesson crowd situation individually) and make some new friends as well as sharing your pleasure with the misses. She comes first ALWAYS, like the queen she is, otherwise you'll be going alone for kiting activities forever!

REVflyer - thanks for all the info. But you've raised a bunch more questions for me :-)

I'm not exactly clear how good the NYM is against the B series. Thanks to the declining Aus dollar and shipping It would cost me about $100 extra plus waiting for shipping from US. The extra cost may be enough to kill the idea, but if there's a significant benefit, it may be worth stretching myself.

I'm a bit confused about some of the "bits".

Are adjustable leaders the way B-series handles already come - with a row of knots?

What's a sand cap cover?

What are the sharpies for?

I think I'll do my own no-snag mod and stick with the stock length (13?) initially and think about adding 15" down the track.

As for lessons and friends - I understand the value of some help to get started and I'm sure it would make things so much easier. But I've never seen anyone flying kites (let alone Revs) in my travels around Melbourne. They must be somewhere and I have read of a particular location that is (or used to be) popular so maybe I'll head over there one day and see if I can spot a Rev flyer. There is a dedicated Aus kite forum that seems to have been dead for several years. There are no serious kite shops in Melbourne either. Only 2 serious kite shops in the whole country as far as I can tell.

Plus, as anti-social as this seems, I really enjoy kite flying as a relaxing solitary activity. I need my down time and flying a kite works really well for me. But that's just me, and I can also see the value of having a friend to fly with. My kids are getting very excited about my new fascination with kites too. I think I'll need to grab them their own kites. Every now and then my 6 year old son will say, "Daddy, it's not windy - you should have brought your special kite (Zero-G)". or "Daddy - it's very windy today - you can't fly your special kite! hahaha".

Jonathan

2.5 days until I order my Rev!

Stick with what you decided to do. There are so many variations that I could write a 100-page description of the possibilities, that, at this point, would only confuse or discourage you. The direction you originally took after reading the advice given here will serve you very well at this time. As you become more familiar with the kite's performance characteristics, and gain the confidence that comes with "time-on-the-lines", you will be able to make decisions that apply to your geographical location and preferred style. Stick to the basics for now, the search for perfection will never end. (Ask John Barresi; I believe he will concur.)

• Like 2

The "B" is more than suitable for you. Any differences are pretty minor between them. As for the "bits", you could make longer leaders (most do) or make add ons for what you have. Yes the "B" comes with leaders, but again, most of us make longer ones. Sharpies can be used to create your own personal color code for the lines. Tops, bottoms, lefts, or rights, whatever you decide on. keeps your set up straight. I can speak to the no-snag mod - works wonderfully. But 2 things - don't bugger up the caps as you remove the rings, and watch for the NASTY BURR under the vinyl cap.

Oh, if the kite comes with 2+3 wrap frames - all good. Learn on the 3 wrap and try the 2 wrap in lower winds!

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Lessons from another flier will definitely speed up your learning curve by a lot and reduce initial frustration (if any). Once you get the hang of things, then by all means fly by yourself as much as you want. I get it. Sometimes I just want to ignore the rest of the world and fly a kite.

There should be a few members on this forum from Australia. One is already on this thread. The ones I can think of are on the west coast, but maybe they know someone or can help you find someone near you to get you started on the right foot.

Happy flying.

• Like 1

Funny thing, everyone is a potential kite flier. Just need the right bait...

Essentially, every full sail Rev is the same. The differences become apparent as you fly more. Eg: a more curved leading edge, vents in differing sizes and positions discern a B from a NYM series.

You'll love every kite you get as the each will get their own "personality".

I know Australia's best freestyle pilot is in Melbs. Pretty sure there are some active revvers too. If you are ever over here I will definitely throw open the bag of Revs for you. Even the long bag of duals too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the evening of my birthday and I got the official go ahead to order my combined Christmas/birthday present. A light blue/blue/white B series. Hopefully it will arrive at my office on Monday some time.

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. Photos will follow.

Jonathan

• Like 3

It's the evening of my birthday and I got the official go ahead to order my combined Christmas/birthday present. A light blue/blue/white B series. Hopefully it will arrive at my office on Monday some time.

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. Photos will follow.

Jonathan

And so it begins. (maniacal laugh!. maniacal laugh!)

• Like 1