Polo Revs

SkyDancer

Question

I have two Revs...and looking for a third either to replace my quickly wearing out EXP or get a midvent between B-series vented and the EXP. I came across Revopolo kites that are printed and on sale right now for 250 ($311). My other option would be a B-series either Standard or Mid.

Any thoughts on these kites? Do they fly smoothly like the B-series that I know and love? Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

In addition to the printed Polo's which I believe you have to import, there are other printed sails offered by Revolution and their dealers directly in the USA. I am not sure of the price, but they are shipped from within the USA thus no import taxing or related problems.

The printed sails are the lightest, however that does not mean they fly in lighter winds then the others. The B-Pro is said to fly better in lighter winds due to the shape of the panels. It is said they grab the light wind a little bit better.

a single skin flies differently than a shaped sail, the difference is the airflow (& weight), so you might prefer a single skin in low wind and more shaped sail when it's blowing harder.

Back before Bazzer and Shook, even before the B-series as released,..... "You could make a better kite than Revolution yourself" Well anyway, we flew a knockoff called the 1point6 for probably a decade. It was a bonded assembly process (no-sew single-skinned sail) with a laser straight leading edge, more depth to the center Vee (a foot instead of 9 inches), used longer down spars (32-1/2 vs 30") and didn't have any leading edge venting. It was made from the SLE, but had to be stripped down to fly in our local no-wind conditions. Harold Ames did most of the hard stuff, he'd make a kite and i'd test it for a few weeks, then we'd meet again and debate the findings. Eventually after a few sessions we arrived at the current design. It's old school but you could use the SLE tubes and fly it in no wind. Imagine how your throws would look when you have such javelin as these fat tubes for the leading edge!

So is the single skin solution better or worse? That's a personal connection. For me I haven't felt the urgent need to instant order one of these kites after a few testing sessions w/OPKs. I have Bazzer's Pros and Shook's mesh kites that seem to me to fill all the needs, from port-potties blowing over to indoors or underwater.

The ability to control the graphics on a single skin has changed a lot of things for pilots around the world. You'll go and do what you know needs to be done!~

I'll leave others to comment on the looks ... I choose my sails based on their performance and my objectives.

The short version is that the vented B / Pro will load up on centre whereas the Polo Revs don't due to the placement of the vents and the straighter leading edge. The Polo also has a higher rate of rotation due to a slight change in angle on the verticals - you loose some straight line precision in the trade.

As for the full sail - I can competently fly both pro and Polo in short line 3D situations and I'm comfortable with both. The full sail does not have a pronounced difference in sail loading like the vented, but the verticals cause the same rate of rotation difference.

Some people (like myself) want a sail to load up, others prefer having a light feeling from the kite. I have both sets and can fly them both solidly, but there is a distinct difference between the two. For myself, my choice is the Pro for the best all around sail.

Same differences

The Pro is a better quality B with subtle refinements. Unless you have an educated hand you won't initially notice any difference between the two (I didn't).

Now that it matters to me I fly Pro all the way, but the difference between Polo and Pro is the same as Polo and B

Pretty much all the advances in design come with the normal "B". The biggest being those vertical panels. They help focus wind to the center of the sail for better loading, IMHO! "B"s also have that slightly curved leading edge, instead of that straight style on EXPs or SLEs. Changes the sail shape and makes those vertical panels work in the design.

Plus if you do like a color combo, you can get all 3 sail models in the one style color combo!!

• Like 1

Same differences

The Pro is a better quality B with subtle refinements. Unless you have an educated hand you won't initially notice any difference between the two (I didn't).

Now that it matters to me I fly Pro all the way, but the difference between Polo and Pro is the same as Polo and B

Pretty much all the advances in design come with the normal "B". The biggest being those vertical panels. They help focus wind to the center of the sail for better loading, IMHO! "B"s also have that slightly curved leading edge, instead of that straight style on EXPs or SLEs. Changes the sail shape and makes those vertical panels work in the design.

Plus if you do like a color combo, you can get all 3 sail models in the one style color combo!!

What they said, ditto.