Another Newbie here....

lomcevoc

You guys work at the same place? The odds here are one in ??????? Holy Toledo, Holy Dayton, Holy shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see much Ohio Rev'ing in your futures. I see Pairs multi-line champs in Ohio. I see fields of green, red roses too flashbacks of Twilight Zone, with Rod Serling, doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo.

Seriously though, glad you could get together. Keep the smiles goin' and don't forget to breathe. (Dave, should I send you the "IKE initiation" chicken, or can you get one locally?)

Did some more flying tonight, love this thing!

Is there any videos explaining the inverted hover and landing? I tried most of the night but I could not get the kite to slow enough to transition it to a hover after I inverted it.

Worked on angle decents (if thats what they are called) from both corners of the box onto each tip and standing it on single tips, spins and stopping when I wanted, square loops, figure 8's (need some work to make both ends semetrical).

Anyhow I had a blast. Would like some tips on this inverted stuff.

Thanks!

Lom

• Like 1

Glad you're having fun and getting the hang of it. It gets even better. Since you are familiar with duals, you will have a bit easier time than those with no understanding of "wind window", "stalls", etc.

Keep smiling, don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

It will get easier you just have to practice. A very nice woman, who is also an IKE member, told me to practice with a purpose. At first, I was just flying all over happy to have it in the sky, but once I started practicing specific things, it got easier and made a lot more progress. There's no substitution for time on the lines. Next is team flying. Again, no substitution for time flying in teams. You just have to do it.

Starting up high is exactly where I am having the issue of not being able to slow the decent down in order to transition into a full hover. I have been forcing myself to land inverted only to practice low inverted hovering. For the record I am flying with a purpose and not just flying around, that gets old really fast for me. I have no issues with flying time when I can get it.

Thanks for the help!

Lom

• 5 months later...

Hello Members

Looking for some future advice on my next Rev purchase. I currently have the B 1.5 Standard Vent Night Series with 3 different line sets.

I was satrting to look at what my next one could be. I noticed with this one the other day that I was getting a lot of sail whipping (not sure if this is the "Rev" term but) during some high wind gusts which statred me to think about a second kite with a different vent set up. I would like to keep the cost down by using my current handles and line sets. So any sugestions would be appreciated. I would like something that could shed some of these higher wind days and fly at a more consistant speed (if possible with these Ohio winds).

I have tried several different settings on my handles and found the 3rd knot in and the first knot in works best for my liking and I like best my 50' lines.

Thanks

Lom

Did you get both 2+3 wrap frames with the standard? I would suggest a full vent next. It has enough wind range overlap that with a lighter frame, it will go lower than stated, and with a stiffer frame, fly in high wind easily. If you have those 2 frames, get a full vent with a 4 wrap. With the 2 sails and 3 frames, you can do a lot of mixing and matching to find a decent combo.

I did get what they call the Race frame with the standard frame ( sorry I don't know what the "Rev" terms are yet). I have been flying it with the standard frame in it, the race frame is still sealed up.

I'll have to look at this full vent and 4 wrap option you mentioned.

Thanks so much!

Lom

Being new and not fully understanding the differences between all these frames, which ones should I look at, SLE, EXP,B series, ZEN, ohh so many choices, just want to make the right one for long term.

Thanks again, appreciate the help!

Lom

Simple rod explanation - all frames are interchangeable in their size range. As in - all 1.5 frames will fit in any 1.5 sail. You have a standard sail with a race frame (replaces a 2 wrap) and most likely a 3 wrap in the sail now. Adding a 4 wrap/full vent will give you versatility to put any of them in either kite,

These are the most common rods used;

2, 3, 4 wrap rods - similar style of flex from them, but as the # goes up, so does the strength and weight. Easily identified by the # of feathers on the label - 2 feathers - 2 wrap, 3 feathers - 3 wrap, etc.

Race rods black - light like 2 wrap, stronger like 3 wrap. Have a different flex and return than "wrap" rods, some love, some hate.

Race rods green - weight about 3 wrap, strong like 4 wrap. Used now in all the New York Minute kites, very strong rods, not quite the same flex as black race, but similar.

Diamond rod - latest offering, really light, much different flex and return from "wrap" rods. Not for new fliers, IMHO.

Lots of other rods too, but this is a start. Just stay inside the model you've flown and try different frames in it - however - I wouldn't use a race frame til I got past the "unexpected crash" thing, a 3 wrap is plenty strong enough to learn on!

Any questions - feel free to PM me

OK, so if I understand, all I need is a Full vented 1.5 purchased with a 4 wrap. This combined with what I already have (B series standard vent with standard and race frame) and I should be able to mix n match whatever I need?

So would it stand to say that for the full vent on a windy day I should use the 4 wrap and if I wanted to smoothly fly it on lower wind days I could insert the lighter frames ( standard or race)?

Thanks

Do they ever have a get together around the Ohio area for these?

Lom

Kite festival at Voice of America Metro Park, NE of Cincinnati this weekend. I recommend you go. I will if I can get a ride with someone from IKE, and Team 180GO! will be there. Possibly others from Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and other states. You will learn more there in a weekend than you will all year by yourself, and you will have the opportunity to "test drive" many kite and frame combos. This would definitely help in making decisions about what to get next. Plus, all the people will help and advise you about flying in your area and what would be best for wind conditions in your area.

Seriously, GO. ani_yahoo.gif You will not be disappointed.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, couple quick questions. I'm getting ready to order my second Rev ( a full vented 1.5). What is the " Race Frame" considered as far as wraps go? There is no feathers on mine, just says race frame. I was planning to get a 2 wrap with my new one considering my first one came with a 3 wrap and a race frame. I'm looking at the Barresi signature series for my second Rev. I already have several line length sets (120,80,50 footers) so I should be set on the line stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the support up to this point. I LOVE This thing. It gets better everytime I go out. Just started learning the inverted side slide the other night...it just started clicking and I was like "Yes"!

Thanks again! Let me know.

Lom

Personally I would get a 4 wrap. Giving you a Race, 3 and 4 Wrap frame set. I don't think you would gain anything by getting a 2 considering you already have a Race. A 4 extends you incoming Vented just that bit higher than a 3.

A Race is commonly said to be the weight of a 2 with the strength of a 3. A Race reacts differently from a 2 or 3 frame. It "snaps" back into shape nicely and "loads" better.

2 cents and YMMV.

Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Personally I would get a 4 wrap. Giving you a Race, 3 and 4 Wrap frame set. I don't think you would gain anything by getting a 2 considering you already have a Race. A 4 extends you incoming Vented just that bit higher than a 3.

A Race is commonly said to be the weight of a 2 with the strength of a 3. A Race reacts differently from a 2 or 3 frame. It "snaps" back into shape nicely and "loads" better.

2 cents and YMMV.

Rob.

+1 You can double up the 3 and 4 or race and 3 in the leading edge for really high wind if you have to.

Yup, I would get the 4 wrap frame with the full vent as well.

The race frame seems to overlap most with the 2 wrap, in terms of what winds people will use the frames in. As was mentioned above, the race frame responds differently from the 2 or 3 or 4 wrap. Many people like the race frame and will use that instead of the 2 wrap. A few (myself included) never got used to the race frame, so we will use the 2 wrap instead.

Full vent? get a 4 wrap or another 3 wrap. Either should work. 4 wrap gives you a complete set to match winds, but it also depends on if you will fly in pretty strong winds.

True, many don't take to race rods, they are different in flex and snap. Love them for solo flying a lot, team uses 3s more. Solo flying lets me be a bit more active, team means a bit more quiet in movements. 3 wraps tend to be smoother, race needs to be pumped.