Inverted Flying

Desert Rat Flyer

OK, I'm in an inverted hover and starting inverted flight to fly to the top of the wind window.

I have different feedback and results from flying my full sail vs. my Shook weave.

With a full sail in higher winds, I can feel a lot of pressure at the tips, the kite does not want to climb and I get a flip over. How do I handle this?

Different story with my 100% Shook (mostly its straight forward except for these two exceptions)

- Sometimes, but not often I get the same pressure at the wind tips, I don't get a flip over often, but the kite does not want to climb.

- This is strange but happen more than once. In LIGHT winds the Shook climbs like a rocket to the very top of the wind window father than either rev would normally climb.

With the high pressure (in higher winds) I am pushing thumbs forward hard. Feels like pushing on someone's shoulders as they try to stand up.

Venteds and Shockwaves are much easier to fly reverse.

This might be correlated to the fact that we use them when there is more wind...

Another great setup to fly reverse is with long tails attached to the bottom of the verticals.

If you feel you have to apply too much pressure, try sliding your hands lower on the handles.

Thanks Henri, REVflyer and stroke survivor for the feedback worked great. Had success yesterday relaxing my grip and applying input with my pinky and not my thumbs. Found I had tight in my grip and forearms.

Got to fly with SkyPupper tonight, always a great lesson. Tonight it was the finer refined technique for holding the vertical hover

Cadguy, I will try the walking forward make sense and its a simple skill I can do. biggrin.png

Since you fly with Dave, I'm guessing you have long top leaders? Get used to letting them out, far from the handle. Use this simple test - pick a knot and try launching. Too easy - move to the next knot out, too hard - pull in a knot. Repeat until you can launch with just a step and pull motion! It may be where you're used to, maybe not, but it's an easy way to find a place to start!

After flying for awhile on that setting, try moving 1 knot out farther to see if your "sweet spot" has changed! Most of us end up using considerable brake to get better control!

Stepping back helps keep the kite moving up without moving your hands, thus keeping the kite more steady. Stepping forward when there's enough (or a lot of) wind helps take some of the pressure off so you don't have to fight the wind as much, also steadying your hands. For me, the windier it is, the harder it is to rise inverted and the harder I have to push down with my thumbs. Sounds like the OP is feeling the same. The wing tip flip means you've pushed too hard. The way I see it, walking forward means you're slightly reducing the wind speed relative to the kite, which means you don't have to push your thumbs as hard, which means you're further from the tipping (i.e. flipping) point. Good luck.

• Like 2

Dave got me started off right.

I'm at the max brake on the JB handles. Last knot on the top leaders and the first on the brake line.

Then I got lessons on how to solid hard pull and step to get the kite launch.

Save me a lot of time by learning correctly vs. have to relearn as each time a change was made.

Next, try making your own top leaders with even more knots, but leave out the ones so close to the handle! Start tying knots about 3-4" from the handle and make the leaders long enough to almost span the distance from top attachment to bottom attachment! What the distance is between knots is not as important as making both leaders as exactly the same as you can! Most use about a 3/4" or 1" distance!

• Like 1

Cadguy,

Total success with walking forward. Don't think I would have ever figured this out on my own.

SS

I will be extending my top leaders. Been wanting to move past the end of my current leaders by at least one more knot. Love flying Skypuppet's heavier brake setting, but I can not launch from that position yet.