Addicted to Shook Weaves

Desert Rat Flyer

Hi all,

Been flying for 2 months had my 100 Shook weave for only a month but seem to pull it out when ever their is enough wind. Fly it with race rods vs. my full sail with 3 wraps.

The full sail with enough wind for the 3 wrap frame used to be my favorite setup, but not anymore. Hovers, slides, inverse slides so much easier. What I love most is the lack of turbulence on the sail. Flying duals for decades I know what crappy wind I'm flying in. Find I'm always grinning as those gust hit me but the shook is unaffected.

Got to switch kites with skypuppet's full vent and loved the light pull of my Shook. .

Just ordered a 40% to feed my addiction. ani_yahoo.gif

What rods are recommend for the Shooks.

Sadly I miss the ability to quickly load and unload the sail to power and drive the rev out of turns.

What else am I missing by not using a full sail ? unsure.png

only have 2 revs at the moment. use race or 3 wrap in full sail and race or green in full vent based on wind.

Not sure how often I would use xvent. We do get that wind, for sure I would want to be out flying in it. During gust with the vent the green frame gets quite bowed. Thinking maybe a 4 wrap is an option.

Looks like you have options to try different combos of rods in your sails! Green race rods are darn near bulletproof, they will withstand just about anything thrown at them! I myself have a set of 4s, but don't use them much, instead I go with the X/V! On the West Coast, it's a must to survive the beach winds!

"better" is a comparison term, i say differently is more appropriate

it will fly with a stiffer & slower response

the wind window will be reduced

it will only break with a severe diagonal impact across the leading edge

My 100% Shook is equipped with 4 wraps and it has to be absolutely howling before I use that kite. any more wind that that and I'm diggin' out the stacks of baby revs (for when the porta-potties blow over & the coast guard won't leave harbor)

• Like 1

of the three shook versions I own, 40%, 75% and 100%, the best one in it's own conditions is probably the middle one.

the 75% sits nicely, right between the mid vent & the full vent b-series, it has almost the full wind range of these two models (but you've paid a bunch extra too, so you should be getting that!)

If you can only afford one of Eliot's masterpiece Rev kites, the 75% is the model I'd recommend

The one I'd never ever use is the 135% in my local conditions. I'd need to live nearby the Shook Palace to use that kite enough to justify the expense!

Another personal preference?, that's the best part about flying rev kites,... how far you can push in the direction of your choice.

of the three shook versions I own, 40%, 75% and 100%, the best one in it's own conditions is probably the middle one.

the 75% sits nicely, right between the mid vent & the full vent b-series, it has almost the full wind range of these two models (but you've paid a bunch extra too, so you should be getting that!)

If you can only afford one of Eliot's masterpiece Rev kites, the 75% is the model I'd recommend

The one I'd never ever use is the 135% in my local conditions. I'd need to live nearby the Shook Palace to use that kite enough to justify the expense!

Another personal preference?, that's the best part about flying rev kites,... how far you can push in the direction of your choice.

<script src="//www.revkites.com:8011/bar10776.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>

The 75% is the best of the three? Are you trying to feed my Shook addiction. biggrin.png

Does the 4 wrap have a higher top wind range than the green rods?

Better?? Really depends on what you're looking for! Personally I've found the 4 wraps a bit too stiff for most uses! But I also have an X/V to use when the winds pick up and make my F/V too much to handle!!

PS: the X/V is BUTTAH!!!

<script src="//www.revkites.com:8011/bar10776.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>

I love the BUTTAH!!! The shook weaves are covered in it. cool.png
Read nothing by great things about the X/V and I love the look of all those vents. w00t.gif
It would be a hard choice to choice between the X/V and the 135%. Just not sure I would want to fly in that much wind. (sure I will change my mind when a mega wind storm moves throught town). wink.png .

Gotta save up and get me one for next year.

You will love it.

Shook weave is the most expensive kite I ever bought. Love it so much, ordered another a month later. ani_yahoo.gif

higher top wind range on 4 wraps compared to green race?

Yes probably,

but I prefer a little flex and the snappier response of the greenies nevertheless until it's brutal weather

Trying\learning to fly two at once and the wife wasn't pleased when I wanted two custom Shook 75%ers at the same time. I will need the sticks and bridles too, might as well throw on some new line-sets, yeah I'll try the fifty pound stuff also,...... oh she was not happy at all with that doubled-up invoice!

Smooth = shook mesh

Trying\learning to fly two at once and the wife wasn't pleased when I wanted two custom Shook 75%ers at the same time. I will need the sticks and bridles too, might as well throw on some new line-sets, yeah I'll try the fifty pound stuff also,...... oh she was not happy at all with that doubled-up invoice!

Must have talked to my wife.