CA, San Diego

cwhippie

I will be in San Diego for training the end of this month Aug 29 - 31st. Specifically I will be staying near Miramar, but my class is south near the HWY 163/I-8 interchange. I am looking forward to getting some flight in after class (after 5pm). Any suggestions for locations that a new pilot can stretch his wings? My only kite at this point in time is a vented B-Series so I am looking for something more than a light breeze if possible.

Exactly right! Also "Dogstakin' the B-Series", on a little park area directly next to it. :)

Ahh, I thought so (eyes of a hawk, me... LOL)

It's difficult to say without years of experience, but it looks like the wind is really steady - as though it just blows at the same strength constantly - is that right? I'd love to experience flying in that sort of wind. I've had a couple of nice sessions recently - wind a bit stronger, maybe 10-12mph and less gusty than normal. Makes a major difference - everything is easier to at least attempt (though the crashes do come at you that much quicker too! LOL)! :kid_content:

Try Mission Bay Park. You will find the majority of the REV fliers there.

Check out www.sandiegokiteclub.com for location details.

The wind was strong enough last Saturday for flying a vented REV all day.

In case the winds are too low you might be able to borrow a non-vented REV from someone else.

• 3 weeks later...

So Mission Bay Park is the place to be. Looks like the best winds are between Noon and 6pm (7pm at the latest) after that the wind just disappeared. I was lucky enough to get 10mph+ winds on 2 days and 5-7mph on the other. There were always other flyers on the field withe everyting from revs and dual lines to fighters and sleds with line laundry.

I met up with a John(there are so many) and another gentleman whose name I forgot, and we flew our Revs for a good hour or so the first day i was down there.

So, when anyone is in San Diego, head to Mission Bay Park, it is right near sea world.

• 3 years later...

I am headed out to Miramar in March to bring our Harriers to San Diego. Sadly I have no mode of transportation out there but I will have days off and I am bringing my Rev bag with me. So I am just hinting that it would be super if some local San Diego flyers wouldn't mind swinging by the base and bringing me out to fly for the day!!!!! I really want to fly my Revs in San Diego.

I am headed out to Miramar in March to bring our Harriers to San Diego. Sadly I have no mode of transportation out there but I will have days off and I am bringing my Rev bag with me. So I am just hinting that it would be super if some local San Diego flyers wouldn't mind swinging by the base and bringing me out to fly for the day!!!!! I really want to fly my Revs in San Diego.

Hi Louie, I might be able to help, although I'll be going to Kite Party & the Rev clinic in March so let me know when you get here. John

Hi Louie,

Would love to pick you up and then fly with you if the dates work out. Carol and I are out of town for Kite Party and then the Tennis tournament in La Quinta for a couple weeks. We are in town March 1-6 and then March 22 thru the end of the month. Let us know if this works. Great flying in San Diego.

Edited by Cass

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to miss you guys. The weather has turned better, and I have flown nearly everything in my bag, from a full vent B2 to the Zen. I like Bonita cove for flying. My sone and I also flew on Pacicfic Beach on 50 foot lines. I finally can axel more successfully, and I got a few catch and throws nailed. That was satisfying. Tomorrow is the last day, and we will spend a gppd part of it kitesurfing. I cant say I really like flying the big power kites.

Sorry to miss you guys. The weather has turned better, and I have flown nearly everything in my bag, from a full vent B2 to the Zen. I like Bonita cove for flying. My sone and I also flew on Pacicfic Beach on 50 foot lines. I finally can axel more successfully, and I got a few catch and throws nailed. That was satisfying. Tomorrow is the last day, and we will spend a gppd part of it kitesurfing. I cant say I really like flying the big power kites.

Too bad you couldn't stay long enough to make kite Party in Huntington Beach. Awesome experience. Maybe next year.

• 2 months later...

Well I am super excited because I am coming back to San Diego. I should be there from the 4th of July till the 24th of August. Sadly I will not have a vehicle because I will be out there attending a military school so I can learn to be a Recruiter but I will be mailing my kite bag out to a friend so I am gonna need a little help from the Rev Flyers out there so I can go out there and get mine in the sky in sunny San Diego!!!!!!

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I hope this thread isn't too old to be posting on now :)

Just thought I'd put it out there that I'm heading to San Diego for a few months for a summer internship (I'm from Australia) from mid-May to early-August 2012.

I'll be sure to contact the San Diego kite club and head down to Mission Bay, but if anyone knows any flying spots close to La Jolle/UCSD which is where I _think_ I'll be staying, I'd love to hear about it too.

I'll probably be bringing a Rev 1.5 and/or a Rev 2 over with me, both non-vented.

Hope to meet lots of rev fliers in person at last (there aren't m/any where I'm from)!

Cheers,

Stefanie

Hello Stefanie!

I will be on vacation in San Diego, from June 11th - 15th. I will be staying in the Shelter Island area, which is pretty close to Mission Beach. I have 3 days set aside strictly for Rev flying!!

I was going to post on this in a week. I hope you don't mind if I ask along side yourself. Would anyone like to meet up for some flying? I'm hoping to put some forum names to faces while out there smile.gif

Skennie you got at least one other Rev fanatic to fly with! smile.gif

-Dave

Skennie you got at least one other Rev fanatic to fly with! smile.gif

Excellent! I better start practicing.

You won't be very far from the beach in LaJolla. From UCSD there are buses going all over SD. With a student ID the buses are a bit cheaper. Look at: http://www.sdmts.com for bus and trolley info.

Thanks for the advice. I was a little worried I'd be a bit isolated, but La Jolla is closer to Mission Bay than I'd thought. Hopefully my o/s student ID will work in the states, but I think the SD public transport is considerably cheaper than what I'm used to in Sydney anyway!

Thanks for the advice. I was a little worried I'd be a bit isolated, but La Jolla is closer to Mission Bay than I'd thought. Hopefully my o/s student ID will work in the states, but I think the SD public transport is considerably cheaper than what I'm used to in Sydney anyway!

Check out the web site concerning student ID's. I think you have to be a student at UCSD or another Uni. Then you can get a pass at the respective Uni admin office. I agree on the cheaper prices. I lived once in Munich where the public transport prices were outrages.

• 3 weeks later...

Less than a month to go, until I'm on the beach in San Diego.

Can anyone recommend some good places to eat around Mission Beach? We like bar food, pizza, and Chinese. We already have a favorite Mexican and seafood restaurant, but suggestions are welcome. A good breakfast place recommendation would be appreciated, as would a good dessert place.

I'm excited to be there soon! :)