Rod Question for B series Mid-vent in stronger winds.

Captainbob

Question

I have a B mid vent and am now flying it with 3 wraps. The wind in Atlanta, is generally on the low end of average, so I am anticipating very few days where I can't fly the B with it's present 3 wrap frame. I want to take a couple of trips this summer to the coast, where the wind will likely be much better. Since this will probably be at most, once or twice a year, I don't want to buy a full vent, because it probably would sit in it's case 99% of the time. So my options are having the correct frame for the B MV . Now on the Rev website, they list these rod combinations for the B MV:

3-10 mph (2 wrap frame)
4-16 mph (3 wrap frame)
6-20 mph (3 wrap frame w/2 wrap LE added)
Now I don't have a 2 wrap frame , but I do have a Race Rod frame ( in my 1.5 SLE Std) , so I am thinking I could use the combination of the 3 wrap and the race to get the 6-20 MPH range because I am assuming that the Race and the 2 wrap would be about equal.
Now here is my question, would I be better off just ordering a 4 wrap leading edge set, to have on hand rather than using the 2 sets of rods to get the higher wind capability, and maybe even be able to go a bit beyond 20 MPH if it is gusty? The second part of this question is, since I already have a set of SLE rods, would they be a good substitute for a 4 wrap LE giving me abou the same results, for heavier and or gusty winds? ( I know that if you use SLE rods, you have to use the washers on the end caps, which I already have on hand) .

24 answers to this question

Hey Captainbob,

Yes, the black Race frame and the 2 wrap share about the same wind range. I'd bring the black Race and the 3 wrap frames with you- hopefully you don't have to fly it above 15 mph, but if you do, the doubled-up LE will suffice. I tend to frame for the highest consistent wind conditions, not for gusts- the 3 wrap will take a gust up to 20 mph, but if it sticks around, fly way off to either side of the wind window till it subsides. I'd skip the 4 wrap in this kite, and for that matter the SLE and a doubled-up LE. Getting enough air into a midvent sail to put a decent bend into these frames will require conditions that could be potentially damaging to the sail, if not immediately than over the long-term. IMO.

Take your black Race frame (or 2 wrap), your 3 wrap, 90# lines (120' if possible), and a camera with you, so you can share your exploits ;)

^_^ yeah that's me, thanks! What a day that was.... wind being pushed in ahead of a nasty storm. I had wind all the way down to the ground, for once.

The midvent is so versatile; it will fly in STD sail winds with a bit more effort, and does 3D flying even better, IMO. My second most used Rev :)

I have an alternative that's pretty cheap, about 30 odd dollars.

Get a set of Magic Sticks. This will allow you to run your Race Rods into 3 wrap winds. And it will definitely take the 3 wrap frame to 20mph.

They truss support the frame and give it more stiffness. If you don't like a stiff frame don't get them but they also allow you to run a lighter frame (your Race for eg) which would both lower the bottom end wind and increase the top end wind of the frame.

To put this in perspective, in my B2 Std I used to put my 3 frame in for winds above 20mph. Since putting the magic sticks on I haven't needed the 3 frame at all.

I've flown on the east coast twice in my life, it is surely different than inland winds! I used the vented rev as much as the midvent, standard and sul. I'd come out of the hotel with a kite, it was the wrong one, I'd go back for a different one, the frame was wrong, I'd go get another frame, the wind would get stronger, I'd go get different kite again, that frame was wrong, by the time I started to get it right, 4 days later, it was time to go home. I know I should buy an extra vent, just in case. Coastal winds are a lot different.

I have an alternative that's pretty cheap, about 30 odd dollars.

Get a set of Magic Sticks. This will allow you to run your Race Rods into 3 wrap winds. And it will definitely take the 3 wrap frame to 20mph.

They truss support the frame and give it more stiffness. If you don't like a stiff frame don't get them but they also allow you to run a lighter frame (your Race for eg) which would both lower the bottom end wind and increase the top end wind of the frame.

To put this in perspective, in my B2 Std I used to put my 3 frame in for winds above 20mph. Since putting the magic sticks on I haven't needed the 3 frame at all.

Does installing the Magic Sticks require modifying the Rev at all, so if you don't like the result, you can easily return the Rev to it's original condition? And how difficult is this mod to do?

I've flown on the east coast twice in my life, it is surely different than inland winds! I used the vented rev as much as the midvent, standard and sul. I'd come out of the hotel with a kite, it was the wrong one, I'd go back for a different one, the frame was wrong, I'd go get another frame, the wind would get stronger, I'd go get different kite again, that frame was wrong, by the time I started to get it right, 4 days later, it was time to go home. I know I should buy an extra vent, just in case. Coastal winds are a lot different.

Posted on another thread, I lived on Hollywood Beach. Florida for over 10 years, 300 feet from the shoreline. Very familiar with the winds at the sea shore.

No kite mods needed, they just attach to the present caps easily! Only other thing to add (comes in the kit) is putting a fitting on the verticals and maybe a small patch to avoid wear!

Reason I am asking about these, is the ability to relaunch more easily. The winds in Atlanta today were forecast to be from the NW at 18-25mph, gusting to 35. This was supposed to start around 11 AM, according to 4 different wind reporting apps and weather stations I have on my PC and smartphone. I got up really early, and down to the field at 9am thinking I would do some flying before the "really" strong winds built up. The actual winds at the field were more like zero to 5 mph and everything in between, with 180 degree shifts in direction every minute or two. As the winds got stronger, this direction shifting continued unabated. I must have walked back and forth to the kite 150 times, setting the Rev up for launch, with a stiff breeze, coming from the stake, turn to walk toward the handles, wind shift as I am walking back, kite falls over on it's face as I pick up the handles. ani_wallbash.gifani_wallbash.gif After 1 1/2 hours of this, I gave up, had lunch, came back after lunch, more of the same. All the while, I was thinking about the magic sticks, and at least the elimination of the back and forth 85' walks and resetting everything would be eliminated.

Now of course the wind is 20 gusting to 38mph, so flying for me is over for the day....... I called the shop that sells the Magic Stick kit, ( link below ) and the person I spoke to gave me a detailed explanation of how they work. He said they make two sizes, so I have to figure out which I will get. I am thinking the shorter one would probably be the best.

http://www.flyingsmileskites.com/wordpress/contact-us/

Get the 16" ones, the longer of the two options. They are the purist sticks. More suited for the 1.5's.

Installation is a piece of cake and is done in under 10 minutes. It's all reversible too. The little wear patch for the sail can be removed, carefully. Like Paul said to me, "doubtful that you'll want to take it off". So far he's been right.

There is a certain amount more time to set up but at worst case it's 3 or 4 minutes. That would be if there was a MASSIVE tangle. I've got a French Bridle and Magic Sticks and I've never had a problem with tangles.

Just remember they aren't for everyone but you'll never know unless you give it a go.

• Like 1

install directions are fool-proof, you don't need the reinforcing patch affixed to your sail until you are sure magic sticks are for you

twelve inch works, but the 16s are recommended

(the difference is most noticeable when the kite is "rolled-up into the flying line" to launch or end/landing)

16s do this trick effortlessly, you step-lively towards the kite (leading edge up, resting on the ground, directly downwind) to roll it up

You take two steps backwards to ONE stand it up and TWO take off, in time with your music please, to launch

you can "flail around" learning slack line tricks without risking the walk of shame (Most of the time anyway!)

The kite is easier to set-up and won't blow around on the ground, you don't have to tension the lines (people walk thru oblivious)

best thing?

A KILLER GLIDE used for field recovery.

• Like 1

I ordered the 12". but may order the 16" for my 1.5 std, if I like them. Hoping they will cut down my walks back and forth to the kite to re-set it up , when the wind is not cooperating. Also like what I have read about the, stiffening the frame a bit.

Oh gotta new sail this evening, replacing my full sail pro FINALLY. Misses didn't squwak too much about the invoice either!

I ordered it with a diamond travel frame, but only needed the sail really.

All my heros came thru on the schedule, many thanks again

install directions are fool-proof, you don't need the reinforcing patch affixed to your sail until you are sure magic sticks are for you

twelve inch works, but the 16s are recommended

(the difference is most noticeable when the kite is "rolled-up into the flying line" to launch or end/landing)

16s do this trick effortlessly, you step-lively towards the kite (leading edge up, resting on the ground, directly downwind) to roll it up

You take two steps backwards to ONE stand it up and TWO take off, in time with your music please, to launch

you can "flail around" learning slack line tricks without risking the walk of shame (Most of the time anyway!)

The kite is easier to set-up and won't blow around on the ground, you don't have to tension the lines (people walk thru oblivious)

best thing?

A KILLER GLIDE used for field recovery.

Got the Magic sticks today from Flying Smiles Kites. I took my time, and it took about 15 minutes to install and adjust them. Already flew 4 hours today prior to getting them in the mail, and now it's raining, so will wait till tomorrow to fly with them. I really like the ease of setting up, and breaking down the kite with the sticks installed, it's no problem, just pull the 2 rods out and fold up as normal.

You're adding weight and yet the kite "feels" lighter on the lines?

Sounds like your skills are improving as well, lots of hours in short order are to be commended.

Great practice session is inverted from the ground to the top of the window and back down again, same speed and laser straight

Now do it again but up-right this time, and at the very end (almost ground level) before landing

powerfully flick both thumbs forward & add an aggressive step forward (in unison) The kite will wind up flat on the ground, leading edge facing you and the flying lines wrapped all the way around the kite.

Step backwards and "snap" both handles towards your shoulders with thumbs-up positioning to un-roll and relaunch

The trick is easier from in the middle of the wind window and with a wrap in the lines (brings them together and centers)

With practice it is four beats of music, almost land and hover(1), snap to rolled-up(2), snap back to upright(3) relaunch(4)

You don't have to do anything fancy or run around to make this work for you Bob. SPANK it!