Need help with the basics in the UK

Pignbroke

HI all, got myself a 1.5 SLE a couple of years ago done a few solo hours with it but with external commitments had to sadly pack it away, but now i am ready to get it out dust it down and get back out there and master this beast.

I live in the West Midlands UK and really need to meet up with experienced flyers so i can get a hang of the basics, happy to travel so let me know if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Brian

There is an active group of very able Rev fliers that meet on Dunstable Downs on Sundays, a short drive from junction 11 on the M1, I used to be one of them but have had to take a break from Rev flying to sort out some other stuff in my life. I'm guessing it won't be long before one of them replies. I know it's a but of a drive for you but if you don't get any offers from closer to home money spent on petrol will save you hours on the learning curve. Obviously don't set of without a prior arrangement because they do have othe commitments, but in guessing it won't be long before one of them replies

Hi Brian,

You would be welcome to join us on Dunstable Downs on any Sunday, Post Code LU6 2GY, and learn a lot in a short while !gathering.gif

it,s worked for a couple of newbies who have been with us for a few months. ani_yahoo.gif

I see that it is a fairly long drive from Telford so the weather needs to be good for you to make the trip, up to 12 MPH wind and no rain/thunderstorms !

I use this for the national forecast,( http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/lu6_2gy )

and this for the actual weather, ( http://dunstablehpc.co.uk/ )

The Dunstable Downs Kite Festival is on July 26th and 27th this year and is always worth a visit to meet up with other fliers !

PM me and we can see if something can be arranged.

Bob, you got that right ! we are missing you ! ​ sad.png

Bill

My first try would be Kiteworld ( http://kiteworld.co.uk ) they preference you to order online but I would recommend you ring them first to check stock availability, and the till also make sure you order the right sticks there are loads of options and it's easy for a newbie to get it wrong.

Just checking - but did you break the rods themselves? And if so, where, inside at the joint to the center rod, or outside where the caps are located?? Or did you break the caps themselves??

Most breakage at the connection between rods is due to a failure to seat the rods tightly together when assembling! End breakage is usually caused by ground contact, as are caps!!

Just wondering which?

Do you know which rods the kite has in it now? I'd recommend 3 wrap, 1/4" rods for a beginner. Lighter are a bit dodgy, heavier have no flex unless it's really windy!

Good luck!!

Hi Brian,

You said the kite was an SLE from a few years back. Are you using the SLE leading edge which is wider diameter tube than the vertical spars and the end caps fit inside the spar. If so there should be a large washer fitted on each end cap to protect the bungee from being damaged by the spar end. If that is where the damage is then "go kites" can supply you with spares available on their eBay shop and are in stock. The damage could be broken washers or damaged bungees caused by missing washers on a SLE shaft.

If you do not have SLE spars but standard 1/4 inch spars they also have 3 wrap centre and vertical spars available.

If you need more help a bit of elaboration on "broke both tips" would be helpful.

Cheers

Stephen

• Like 2

Hi Brian,

You said the kite was an SLE from a few years back. Are you using the SLE leading edge which is wider diameter tube than the vertical spars and the end caps fit inside the spar. If so there should be a large washer fitted on each end cap to protect the bungee from being damaged by the spar end. If that is where the damage is then "go kites" can supply you with spares available on their eBay shop and are in stock. The damage could be broken washers or damaged bungees caused by missing washers on a SLE shaft.

If you do not have SLE spars but standard 1/4 inch spars they also have 3 wrap centre and vertical spars available.

If you need more help a bit of elaboration on "broke both tips" would be helpful.

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Brian,

Stephen is on the money there, saves me repeating it !

It would seems to me that you were using the SLE rods on end caps without washers and that resulted

in cutting the bungee,s blue_sad.gif

As Bob stated, Kiteworld have replacement kits @ £5.99.

And as Mark implied, a picture paints a thousand words !

Bill

Hi all, thanks for all the input, just to clarify it is the 2 leading edge end rods, center one is ok but both ends snapped about half way up (not good piloting i think) it is the thicker leading edge with Ultra Light marked in gold which i think is the 3 wrap.

So looks like it could be reasonably expensive i think!!!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Bad luck. Both Kiteworld and Go Kites have 3wrap spars £18 for centre and £17 for outer.

Always check the ferrules in the centre so that they do not come loose and start to move. If a ferrule moves then the joint becomes a weak point and breakage can happen. You might consider buying a complete set as they come in slightly cheaper than 5 individual spars and you would have spares. Also note that the EXP spars are 3 wrap and £1 each cheaper at Kiteworld, they are the same size as 1.5 spars just marked differently.

Good flying.

Stephen

Hi all, thanks for all the input, just to clarify it is the 2 leading edge end rods, center one is ok but both ends snapped about half way up (not good piloting i think) it is the thicker leading edge with Ultra Light marked in gold which i think is the 3 wrap.

So looks like it could be reasonably expensive i think!!!

Brian

If it's the thicker L/E you have, I would suggest that rather than replace like for like, it may be better to replace with an EXP L/E (3 pieces) not many of us use the thicker L/E anymore (won't confuse you with details, just trust me for now). The EXP L/E is more fragile than the SLE but it's more flyable and if you get some tuition you should be fine.

• 1 month later...

Well at last i managed to meet up with the guys on the Dunstable Downs today, a massive thanks to Bill for looking after me and showing me the errors of my ways, for me it was great to be shown the correct way and i now have the confidence to setup on my own and get on with flying and enjoying the whole experience.

Any new flyers reading this i would recommend that you meet up with someone with experience as this will save you time and money (broken rods in my case) in the long-term.

So thanks again Bill and also thanks to Mark, Graham and Andy for your time today.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the end of July for the festival and hopefully you will see an improvement in my flying.

Thanks

Brian

It was a pleasure Brian, I think we all thoroughly enjoyed the day so

" sign_welcome.gif TO THE DARK SIDE "

You did well on setting up,breaking down and basic launch and control!

At one time I flew next to you and demonstrated what it is like to fly with somebody and with crossed lines yet you did not lose control or panic, that's good for what was essentially your first successful session ! clap2.gif

Bill