New Rev

Bruce 49

Question

Hi, Bruce

Welcome to the dark side. Get on the IKE forum, ikeclub.org, and talk to Jynx. She's from the Milwaukee area. I'm in Schaumburg, NW Chicago suburbs. The midvent might leave you parked on the ground much of the time in this area of the midwest. The full sail is the choice for first Rev in our area.

However, talk to as many people as possible before buying, and get out to some IKE club flys and check it out in person. We all have plenty of kites that you can try before buying, and all of the club members will be happy to let you try theirs.

• Like 2

Hi, Bruce

Welcome to the dark side. Get on the IKE forum, ikeclub.org, and talk to Jynx. She's from the Milwaukee area. I'm in Schaumburg, NW Chicago suburbs. The midvent might leave you parked on the ground much of the time in this area of the midwest. The full sail is the choice for first Rev in our area.

However, talk to as many people as possible before buying, and get out to some IKE club flys and check it out in person. We all have plenty of kites that you can try before buying, and all of the club members will be happy to let you try theirs.

Hi Mark,

I'll go along with you on the full sail. I have spoke to a few people, and they say the same thing. Now, I think I'll be going with the B-Series Standard, with the 2wrap & 3 wrap frames. All I have to do is decide on a color. I did meet Jynx briefly, last September at the Frank Mots fest in Milwaukee. I hope to run into her at Veteran's Park this summer.

Hi Mark,

I'll go along with you on the full sail. I have spoke to a few people, and they say the same thing. Now, I think I'll be going with the B-Series Standard, with the 2wrap & 3 wrap frames. All I have to do is decide on a color.  I did meet Jynx briefly, last September at the Frank Mots fest in Milwaukee. I hope to run into her at Veteran's Park this summer.

Depending on where you buy from and the deal you can get....

A set of Race Rods pretty much does the job of both those frames. Cost of a set could be the same though! I believe Race Rods have a better reflex action especially in a Standard sail. Could be worth a look.

Depending on where you buy from and the deal you can get....

A set of Race Rods pretty much does the job of both those frames. Cost of a set could be the same though! I believe Race Rods have a better reflex action especially in a Standard sail. Could be worth a look.

A wind of Change has the B series and $1 for upgrading to Race Rods. http://www.awindofchange.com/product/revbarresi.html

I just spoke with Lolly at Rev. She told me of a new design called the "New York Minute". Just when I was ready to order, I've got another choice to consider. Now I'll have to stare at the "NYM" for a day or two before I decide. If you haven't seen it yet, here is a glimpse.

NYM flyer.pdf

I just spoke with Lolly at Rev. She told me of a new design called the "New York Minute". Just when I was ready to order, I've got another choice to consider. Now I'll have to stare at the "NYM" for a day or two before I decide. If you haven't seen it yet, here is a glimpse.

I have the brochure on that kite, and frankly, it doesn't appeal to me at all especially for a beginner. It comes with 4 different sails

Standard:

Single vent 20% venting good for 3-6mph - bumpy winds

Double Vent 42% venting 6-10 mph

Triple Vent 70% venting "High Wind"

The frame is the Green Race frame.

Seems to me that one would need to order at least two and possibly three of these to get the flexibility that one would get in a SLE or B series with a couple of frames. A few people that I have talked to in the Chat room were not crazy about the Green Race frame either.

I have the brochure on that kite, and frankly, it doesn't appeal to me at all especially for a beginner. It comes with 4 different sails

Standard:

Single vent  20% venting good for 3-6mph  - bumpy winds

Double Vent  42% venting 6-10 mph

Triple Vent     70% venting  "High Wind" 

The frame is the Green Race frame. 

Seems to me that one would need to order at least two and possibly three of these to get the flexibility that one would get in a SLE or B series with a couple of frames.   A few people that I have talked to in the Chat room were not crazy about the Green Race frame either. 

The New York Minute Line is like the B-Series line (not Pro), but with an additional venting option. It's my understanding that they use the same leading edge material and sail cloth as the B-Series, so the performance should be very similar, when framed alike and in comparable conditions, especially with the std sail. The green Race frame happens to be a favorite of the pattern's designer, Ben D'Antonio, but any dealer including Revolution will frame it however you like. Order a NYM with a couple frames and it competes directly with the B-Series, IMO.

After 7 years of the B-Series being the only option, it's great to see another pattern on the higher-end Revs!

The New York Minute Line is like the B-Series line (not Pro), but with an additional venting option. It's my understanding that they use the same leading edge material and sail cloth as the B-Series, so the performance should be very similar, when framed alike and in comparable conditions, especially with the std sail. The green Race frame happens to be a favorite of the pattern's designer, Ben D'Antonio, but any dealer including Revolution will frame it however you like. Order a NYM with a couple frames and it competes directly with the B-Series, IMO.

After 7 years of the B-Series being the only option, it's great to see another pattern on the higher-end Revs!

This may all be true, but the information on the brochure is very confusing to say the least. It doesn't mention what the wind ranges would be with 3 wrap, or black race frame in any of the 4 sail versions. It does state that it has a 25 panel sail, and a "no fray" leading edge. The info on the Rev site says that the Green race Frames are heavier and stronger than the Black race Rods, so it seems very odd that a single vent kite NYM with the Green Race Frame would have a wind limit of only 3-6 mph. An unvented 1.5 SLE with a Black Race frame ( the weaker one) has a much wider wind range than that, according to people that fly that combination. Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like 1

You are very correct Captainbob, the literature on the NYM line is lacking- Revolution doesn't even show it on their own website yet! (That I can find anyways)

The 3-6 mph range you found was preferrable- you'll find the preferred range of a B-Series kitted out in Race frame to be about the same, per JB. Not to say it can't be flown higher or lower than that, just that's the sweet spot with that frame. The ranges given for the B-Series are extremes on Revolution's website- a 2 wrap flown up to 12 mph? That frame, like a black Race frame, usually doesn't see wind above 6 mph! But, technically, it could.

Revolution really should put out some specs across a few frames, like they do with all their other products ;) but I'm willing to bet that once they do, the specs will be similar to the standard issue B-Series.

• Like 1

The NYM kites are different from the B-Series but the differences are subtle. Most noticeable is the venting. If you like the way a vented kite "smoothes" out the flight and controls the gusts better, then you may prefer the NYM. More vented options. Ben loves the green rods over others except diamonds. But they fit his style. JB likes diamonds, black race and three wraps but not green. Again, they match his style and needs.

You will fly a full sail B-Series for many, many hours without "needing" another kite. Or you can get addicted like some of us Revheads and collect all the options you can think of. I have all the NYMs and all the B-Series. All the frames and have ordered my second Pro. I don't have close to Ben or JB's skill but I find different kites seem right in different conditions. I probably still put more time in on the full sail B–Series than any other.

Pick the NYM or B-Series full sail and start with three wrap or green race rods. Once you master keeping the kite off the ground add a black race or diamond frame for lighter wind. For stronger wind you will need something vented, but it sounds like your primary area is a full sail area. Fly with the groups mentioned. You will learn this kite much faster with their help.

Best of luck and welcome to the dark side.

Marshall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Numbers!!

Sorry, it's feel that rules!! All the numbers on Rev's site are SUGGESTED, you can use them or leave them! Your choice of sail, rods, line length, handles, leader settings, etc, all affect what flies in any situation for YOU!

My personal choice is venting whenever I can get away with it, but not if it compromises a team situation! Experience will guide you to try almost anything at least once, to see if that's a combo YOU like! Find what works for you (as long as your budget tolerates) and who knows what you will find on this journey!!

• Like 1

Numbers!! 

Sorry, it's feel that rules!! All the numbers on Rev's site are SUGGESTED, you can use them or leave them! Your choice of sail, rods, line length, handles, leader settings, etc, all affect what flies in any situation for YOU! 

My personal choice is venting whenever I can get away with it, but not if it compromises a team situation! Experience will guide you to try almost anything at least once, to see if that's a combo YOU like! Find what works for you (as long as your budget tolerates) and who knows what you will find on this journey!!

Yeah it's feel that rules but what do you do when you are new to the sport and don't have the chance to sample equipment? There has to be a baseline set of numbers for these instances.

Agreed Dave, agreed! But too many times I see people too hung up on them, expecting this or that from a piece of equipment that just is the wrong sail in those conditions! Revflyer has it right in his WOW club - they recommend you DON'T buy til you try something and make your own judgement if it is right for you!

• Like 1

You're right Wayne, people do get hung up on the numbers... human nature I guess.

Man I sure do wish I lived near a club like WoW.... I'm lone Rev pilot out here wtf :( hoping to sample some equipment at upcoming Kite Party, so I can make some informed decisions about a New Rev for me :) I'm thinking 1 NYM 20% and some new B-Pro's.... maybe a diamond frame to go with one of them....

Yeah it's feel that rules but what do you do when you are new to the sport and don't have the chance to sample equipment? There has to be a baseline set of numbers for these instances.

That is my feeling. I just started flying kites and Revs in particular, and the only way I could decide what to spend a few hundred dollars on for a Revolution kite, was to read the spec sheets on this website and dealers websites, and I had to believe what they were telling me. If I had a couple of thousand dollars, I guess I could have bought one of each Rev to start, but then what would be the first one I would try to fly? Added to that is that vast majority of new customers, probably will have no chance to even see a Rev kite, much less fly one, prior to purchase. I live in a city of over 5 million people and have yet to see a Rev fly except the one I bought. I think very clear explanations of a product's capabilities, especially geared to the new potential customer, would go a long way to help the buyer decide what would be the best way to go. Green Rods, Black Rods, 4 wrap, 3 wrap, 2 wrap, Black Race, Green Race, SLE, vented, non-vented. and people think...." I guess I will buy something else, this is way too confusing, and they move on,

Agreed Dave, agreed! But too many times I see people too hung up on them, expecting this or that from a piece of equipment that just is the wrong sail in those conditions! Revflyer has it right in his WOW club - they recommend you DON'T buy til you try something and make your own judgement if it is right for you!

If I had waited until I had actually tried something, I would most likely have never bought any kites, except maybe a SLK. wink.png

CB - I agree with 1 exception - if numbers are gonna be used - understate them!! Then instead of pushing a piece of equipment to the breaking point, because it says it's rated to X mph, keep it in a safe operating zone!!

More or less it comes down to two sails are really all that's needed - a standard and a vented - everything else is just filling personal likes in flying styles! Yes there are high and low end (wind wise) options for consideration, how many use them on a regular basis?

With the 2 sails you've got just about everything covered, again everything else is your own preference!

Makes it simple enough for me!!

CB - I agree with 1 exception - if numbers are gonna be used - understate them!! Then instead of pushing a piece of equipment to the breaking point, because it says it's rated to X mph, keep it in a safe operating zone!!

More or less it comes down to two sails are really all that's needed - a standard and a vented - everything else is just filling personal likes in flying styles! Yes there are high and low end (wind wise) options for consideration, how many use them on a regular basis?

With the 2 sails you've got just about everything covered, again everything else is your own preference!

Makes it simple enough for me!!

So it would appear that the performance of a certain Kite and frame combination, would be a bell curve rather than a stated high and low wind speed, and the ends of the bell curve would be the less desirable conditions to fly that particular model in. I think a bell curve would probably be a better way to illustrate the performance of a kite-frame combination for the beginner.

• Like 3

Makes sense here!

I recently PM'd another forum member about "his" feel about rods and what he used in situations. His setup is completely different from mine! His perception of how the rods reacted (feel) in similar wind conditions, just weren't my observations! Are either of us "wrong" - NO! Again, line length, line weight, handle length and bend, rods you choose, all go into developing a feel for what works for you!

You decide to buy "X" sail, but don't like it? Sell it and try something else! Rods not your style, move them out to someone else! There is a strong market for "good" used kites out there, you might try some to find your combo!

Whatever you do - fly, often! Develop that "feel"!

It's the nice thing about Revs - there is no right or wrong, just a personal connection with what works for you! It's a lifelong journey!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. I've ordered the New York Minute standard (RTF) pkg. I think it will be a great Rev to begin with. Now, I just need all of this snow to melt, and to warm up just a little more.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've ordered the New York Minute standard (RTF) pkg. I think it will be a great Rev to begin with. Now, I just need all of this snow to melt, and to warm up just a little more.

Congratulations on your new Rev. You will probably be the first to get one, so if you have time after flying it a bit, posting a review of it would be great.