Lines for Rev SLE 1.5 for beginner

Captainbob

Question

I just ordered a Rev 1.5 SLE and was thinking about ordering a spare set of lines for it. It comes with #90 85 ft, and I was wondering if I should get a longer set for the spare set like either 90# 100 ft or 120 ft, or stay with the shorter length until I get some more experience.

I've personally witnessed buggying on a full vent 1.5 (that individual was no "giant" in stature though, HA!) He eventually move to the outer banks, guessing the no-wind of the mid-atlantic states got too boring.

Unrelated:

One time Bob (Sundown) pulled a plastic kid's wading pool out of his pickup truck, then set-up an 8-pack stack of dualies and proceeded to lean back on the pool's edge whilst sitting inside it, (thereby raising the front significantly ~ Bob's a very big boy).

Oops, i forgot,... the night before we arrived for first Sunday fly it had snowed 8 inches of fresh powder. We couldn't go to the Monuments (construction again!) so we went towards an equestrian park instead. Hadn't plowed the lot so we pulled over on the side of the entrance road.

Anyway, we were all laughing at and kidding Sundown as he was lovingly cleaning out the pool's interior, then he set-up and went scootin' across the field howling in ecstasy. Know what happened next? WE double-quick formed a line to wait for our own turn scudding in the winter pool!

Oh yeah, 120s are a great flying length of lines regardless of your kite choice

• Like 1

120's were the right choice for you, CB..............IMHO. They will be much easier on you, during the learning process, but then, there's that long wind-up afterwards............again, good luck ani_victory.gif

Longer the lines.............the greater the reaction time you get, when something goes south ani_wallbash.gif

• Like 1

After flying at the field next to my home for a few weeks now on the Revs, I decided that 120 ft would be not a good move for me. People in the park will sometimes walk across the field, or near the kite, and with the 80' I have, it is much easier to control, than it would be with an additional 40 feet on top of that. In addition there is a tree line to my right and left with the prevailing west-east winds, so lateral distance would be somewhat of an issue. I did want to get a spare set of some kind of lines, and with all the light wind days, I decided to order a set of 90# 50'. I will try flying the 50' in lighter winds, and if my flying skill is not up to the shorter lines yet, I will wait to fly them when the time is right. Maybe some day in the future, when traveling to a festival, 120' will be the next option, but right now, I don't feel they would be useful in my situation.

Here you can see the field with the trees to the right and left of the very long field. SLE3.jpg

Yep, I see what you mean. Got to be a tough spot to fly in. No way the wind isn't swirling in there. ani_wallbash.gif

Just for the heck of it, go out and cut yourself four or five small saplings, 6 - 8 foot long, and sharpen one end with a hatchet. Then attach a 2 or 3 foot piece of surveyor's tape, to the other end, and go stick these in the ground. Put one on your right, one on your left, one to the right of the kite wind-window, one to the left of the kite wind-window, and finally, one in the center of the wind-window, just out past where your kite travels. Now, as you fly, take a look at the tell-tales on the sticks, an you'll probably be amazed at how many different directions, the wind is actually blowing...............(just something to do, one day when you are bored) ani_victory.gif

• Like 1

Yep, I see what you mean. Got to be a tough spot to fly in. No way the wind isn't swirling in there. ani_wallbash.gif

Just for the heck of it, go out and cut yourself four or five small saplings, 6 - 8 foot long, and sharpen one end with a hatchet. Then attach a 2 or 3 foot piece of surveyor's tape, to the other end, and go stick these in the ground. Put one one your right, one on your left, one to the right of the kite wind-window, one to the left of the kite wind-window, and finally, one in the center of the wind-window, just out past where your kite travels. Now, as you fly, take a look at the tell-tales on the sticks, an you'll probably be amazed at how many different directions, the wind is actually blowing...............(just something to do, one day when you are bored) ani_victory.gif

After reading your post, I decided to check out a site that was mentioned in the AKA listing of flying fields on their website. It is the Georgia Perimeter College in Decatur Georgia. I was already in Decatur this afternoon, so I drove over there, pulled up to the field and see a middle aged guy packing up this huge SLK. He had a roll of about 1,000 feet of 300 pound test line. I walked over to him and started asking about flying at this field. First of all, this has to be the Holy Grail of kite flying fields in the Atlanta area. The main part of the field is adjacent to the College Admin building, and there is not a tree in site. It is manicured short grass, and completely level. He is a lawyer, and told me that he always flies his kites there , and reels out the entire 1,000 feet of line, and still doesn't reach the main road that borders the field on the East side. He has been flying there for 12 years, both during the week and on the weekend. Plenty of parking right next to the field. He has no problems from the college people, spectators, or the security folks that are there. He says the winds are smooth because of the openness of the field, and lack of trees and buildings that are in the winds' path. The only down side is that it is a 17 mile trip to this field from my home, but it is on I-285, so takes only about 20 minutes. Well worth it, and the time I waste fighting the winds at my local field, will be saved by this 20 minute drive. Can't wait to fly there next week . ani_victory.gifani_victory.gif

Fantastic ! I sure wish I could find a place like that, somewhere close by ani_wallbash.gif

Still ought to set out some tell-tales, on your home field, just to see what is happening. I don't know, but maybe you could even leave them up for about a week, so you could check it out, under different conditions......you'll probably be surprised, at just how squirrelly, it really is.....

Fantastic ! I sure wish I could find a place like that, somewhere close by ani_wallbash.gif

Still ought to set out some tell-tales, on your home field, just to see what is happening. I don't know, but maybe you could even leave them up for about a week, so you could check it out, under different conditions......you'll probably be surprised, at just how squirrelly, it really is.....

Yes I think I will do that. Probably will indicate 'wind shear" much of the time. ;)