EXP vs SLE vs B-series

andy666

Question

23 answers to this question

the framing members and bridles are all interchangeable

different panel sizes & number of panels used, different fabrics, different location of framing components are all construction variables between the 3 referenced kites. Increasing labor cost and using higher quality raw materials make for a more expensive product. That doesn't mean one specific model is the only thing goin' on though! Any of the Revolution kites are great flying wings. It comes down to the thickness of your wallet and whether the current model (state of the art)today is exactly what you desire

I believe there are differences in the leading edge too (amount of curvature built in by design, not necessarily the material it's made from)

Unless you can't feed the step-kids on a semi-regular basis you should plan to buy the best model you can honestly afford. You get what you pay for, even if you might not be able to appreciate that fact immediately

• Like 1

Andy, I am an extremely new flier, but here is all the information you could ever want. Read as much as you want to get a better idea. You're not the first and you won't be the last to ask.

BTW, you'll be extremely happy with any of them, you just have to figure out which one you want/need first. Any of them can be adjusted numerous ways for different flight characteristics. You'll begin to learn that later and will get YEARS of fun and use out of any of them.

• Like 1

It's sort of the Ford, Mercury, Lincoln comparison!! If you're just looking for the absolute basic, go with the EXP! Want it a bit better, SLE. Top of the line, "B" series! You'll also notice availability of more submodels as you go up the ladder! The "B" for instance is offered in 3 versions, std, mid, full vent, better able to pick out the correct sail for that days wind conditions! SLEs are in 2 versions, std and full vent, and EXPs are in one model, std!!

Are you anywhere near SparkieRob or West Australian?? Two members of this and the Kitelife forums, from "down under", they would (I'm sure) let you have a go on their kites, before deciding!

No matter what you get - welcome to the world of Rev!! The Darkside Rules!!

• Like 3

I haven't looked up how far apart you are, but let me say this ... Getting with someone for some hands on time together makes a massive difference.

I know people who have wasted a year because they didn't take a short flight and get to understand even the right way to setup the kite.

That's not to say you can't do it alone - that was the only way I had when I started. Now that I am reasonably experienced and educated, you should see how fast people learn and integrate things when I can show them hands on.

• Like 1

It's sort of the Ford, Mercury, Lincoln comparison!! If you're just looking for the absolute basic, go with the EXP! Want it a bit better, SLE. Top of the line, "B" series! You'll also notice availability of more submodels as you go up the ladder! The "B" for instance is offered in 3 versions, std, mid, full vent, better able to pick out the correct sail for that days wind conditions! SLEs are in 2 versions, std and full vent, and EXPs are in one model, std!!

Are you anywhere near SparkieRob or West Australian?? Two members of this and the Kitelife forums, from "down under", they would (I'm sure) let you have a go on their kites, before deciding!

No matter what you get - welcome to the world of Rev!! The Darkside Rules!!

Wayne, now I'm troubled.

Unless my memory is messed up again - the second kite I purchased, after the EXP, was an SLE mid-vent. So I think SLE comes in all 3 versions. I'm pretty ignorant about the ultra-light, but I believe the ultra-light was produced only in the SLE line. (Is that correct?) If so, that would make 4 versions of SLE.

Bs come in three versions - full, mid, vent.

And B Pros come in four versions - adding the Extra Vent. That is the perfect sail in those real heavy gusty winds at the beach,

The reason you troubled me, Wayne, is that I generally trust what you say over what I think I might possibly believe to be true. Now I've got to check my kite bag - is there really an SLE mid-vent hiding in there? smiley-pinch.gif

Anyway - the EXP is an excellent introduction and is adaquate to learn the basic skills. The main problem is that it comes in only a full sail, and seems to be relatively heavy material - so it is limited in the wind range. (The full sail in any of the types will have a limited optimal range.) I have flown my EXP in up to near 20 mph winds with the factory EXP rods (which are essentially "three wrap"), and both the kite and I survived, but that is closer to the power kite experience than the usual Rev 1.5 exquisite control experience.

Fair winds!

Yes Howard, there are mid vents of the SLE, but not available at every store! If I remember correctly, they are gotten through The Kite Connection and there might be others! He gets them in that Black Rainbow pattern, that's exclusive to his store! So you might have one!!! The SUL version of the SLE has been discontinued as a production model, but still is stocked as a left over! You can special order most any model in just about any kite style direct from the factory, if you have enough cash to make it happen! I believe I once saw an EXP vented!! I had deliberately left out the Pros, as it was a new flier asking and I didn't feel he needed to know that option yet!

Does that answer your dilemma?? ani_giveup.gif

Yes Howard, there are mid vents of the SLE, but not available at every store! If I remember correctly, they are gotten through The Kite Connection and there might be others! He gets them in that Black Rainbow pattern, that's exclusive to his store! So you might have one!!! The SUL version of the SLE has been discontinued as a production model, but still is stocked as a left over! You can special order most any model in just about any kite style direct from the factory, if you have enough cash to make it happen! I believe I once saw an EXP vented!! I had deliberately left out the Pros, as it was a new flier asking and I didn't feel he needed to know that option yet!

Does that answer your dilemma?? ani_giveup.gif

Yes, you can special order the 1.5 model in SUL and the Mid Vent at The Kite Shoppe.

• Like 1

1.5 model SUL's are discontinued. You may want to snatch them up from any shops that still have them laying around. :) Rev no longer produces these. As for the Mid Vent, you can order those from any authorized Revolution dealer. Keep in mind that some special orders and customs could incur a small up charge.

1.5 model SUL's are discontinued. You may want to snatch them up from any shops that still have them laying around. smile.png Rev no longer produces these. As for the Mid Vent, you can order those from any authorized Revolution dealer. Keep in mind that some special orders and customs could incur a small up charge.

What replaces that model, for light wind flying?

What replaces that model, for light wind flying?

Briefly:

The B series is better in lighter winds due to the panel design. The B Pro is even better and cost a bit more.

Also an alternative is the single piece printed sail which you usually will not find in the catalog, but ask for it.

Any of these along with race rods and other newer type rods will also improve light wind flying.

• Like 1

All I have is a B standard with either black race..or diamond rods..and maybe 50# line.

Some will agree ...some won't. But some of these sails are not needed. It will boildown to time and technique...and how much effort you want to put onto it to acheive your percieved "happy spot"

I'm with Hedge Warden on this, Rev flying is a very rewarding hobby, it's not an easy journey to do alone but certanly not impossible. I would strongly reckoned you try and find yourself a mentor to set ou on the right road, dollars spent on gas will save you hours of trial and error and greatly reduce the learning curve especially in the early stages.

Oops sorry I've just looked back to your opening pat and seen that you are in Australia, and so you may have a long journey to meet up with a potential mentor. With that in mind I would suggest you make as much use of this forum as you can. Clearly not as good as face to face support but there is a wealth of experience and advice to be drawn on here.