no snag leaders

tommylurvebus

Question

Hey guys . After only having 1 set of no snag handles for the last few years ish ( on my 50ft line set ) I am finally now totally converted to their superiority, at least on any set up under 80ft ( plenty of time to unsnag on long lines ). So I am now changing all my short lines over to no snag. Since I like to my handles attached this means a lot of new handles and time spent making up new top leaders.

Anyhow to the point!

Just checking that you guys are running slightly shorter top leaders on the Rev factory made no snag handles due to the shorter stock ( no need to replace these ) bottom leaders, and the slightly different angle of bend on the handles. Not being top of the class at math and geometry my workings end up with shorter top leaders for the same amount of brake.

I have tried the set up flying with one no snag and one standard handle on and it seems to work fine. Of course I may be automatically compensating for the differential, hence the question and me checking with guys and girls . Shorter top leaders on no snag handles........ Fanks for reading now im off to a green and muddy field...........

6 answers to this question

Just checking that you guys are running slightly shorter top leaders on the Rev factory made no snag handles due to the shorter stock ( no need to replace these ) bottom leaders, and the slightly different angle of bend on the handles. Not being top of the class at math and geometry my workings end up with shorter top leaders for the same amount of brake.

I have tried the set up flying with one no snag and one standard handle on and it seems to work fine. Of course I may be automatically compensating for the differential, hence the question and me checking with guys and girls . Shorter top leaders on no snag handles........ Fanks for reading now im off to a green and muddy field...........

I have much longer top leaders on my no-snags. The leaders themselves would span from top tip to bottom tip of 13" handles. I fly with, offhand, about 7" of difference in favour of my tops. "Brake heavy"

It really comes down to personal preference though.

Just the opposite.........Much longer leaders on top, than on the bottom, no matter what kind of handles. I have 12 - 13 inch top leaders and maybe 4 inch bottom leaders...........

Go here (Kitelife Forum), and read the entire topic http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5530-pigtails-tuning-your-rev-with-knotted-leaders/#entry37547

example: {this is just my personal set-up, others will be little different}

My reference points (red knots) are as follows:

Top red knot is at 7 " out, from the top handle tip

Bottom knot is 2 1/4" out, from the bottom handle tip

Differential is 4 3/4"

The reference points are simply where I set-up initially, and usually let the top out a knot or so, once I get to flying.............

post-2742-0-72037500-1382882101_thumb.jpg

(std 13" handles, moded to be sangless)

post-2742-0-54961400-1382882089_thumb.jpg

(std 13" handles, side by side with an 11" set)

I have much longer top leaders on my no-snags. The leaders themselves would span from top tip to bottom tip of 13" handles. I fly with, offhand, about 7" of difference in favour of my tops. "Brake heavy"

It really comes down to personal preference though.

Thanks for the reply sparkie. I too am flying with 7 .5" difference top to bottom leaders. But to gain that differential my actual leader length is different for the different types of handles ;) if ya see what I mean. Its interesting that your leaders are longer on the no snag. Do you ever use end knots? or are they saved for a rainy daybiggrin.png

Think I may pop a few more inches on just for good measure ... kind regards t

Sorry reef runner my ramblings were a little unclear. Yep of course my top leads are longer than my bottom. By aprox 7.5 inches giving me a brake heavy set up. but to achieve this 7.5inch differential I seem to be needing different top leader lengths on different handles. Wow now im confused!!!

Sorry reef runner my ramblings were a little unclear. Yep of course my top leads are longer than my bottom. By aprox 7.5 inches giving me a brake heavy set up. but to achieve this 7.5inch differential I seem to be needing different top leader lengths on different handles. Wow now im confused!!!

I understand (but I was wondering about that).

The way I compensate for that, is to make my top leaders, several knots longer than my initial set-up point, and much longer than I think I'll ever need. That way, I can always shift, in or out, as need be. Then after several outings, I can cut them off, leaving enough length to cover the extremes............... ani_victory.gif

I understand (but I was wondering about that).

The way I compensate for that, is to make my top leaders, several knots longer than my initial set-up point, and much longer than I think I'll ever need. That way, I can always shift, in or out, as need be. Than after several outings, I can cut them off, leaving enough length to cover the extremes............... ani_victory.gif

perfect !