Replacing cracked rods

Cath Shook

Help needed from the experts!  I think I asked Lolly this last summer, but can't remember the answer.

Can 1.5 SUL rods be replaced by EXP rods.  Both are 2 wraps, right?  What else do you suggest when I'm replacing customers rods in my store, at least in a pinch.  They're here for 1 week, sometimes I'm out of the exact rod they need, but want to get them flying again, and not enough time to order one from CA (I'm in NC).

New question:  Outside LE Supersonic rod on my kite - since I played rough while learning, and then pushed it somemore, I've found a crack on the tip.  Rod says Ultralight, same as 1.5 SLE.  I thought all the Speed series rods were different than the 1.5 series, but am now confused - obviously.

Thanks,

Cath

Can 1.5 SUL rods be replaced by EXP rods.  Both are 2 wraps, right?  

Inaccurate, to the best of my knowledge... 1.5 SUL rods are 2 wrap... EXP rods are 3 wrap.

What else do you suggest when I'm replacing customers rods in my store, at least in a pinch.  They're here for 1 week, sometimes I'm out of the exact rod they need, but want to get them flying again, and not enough time to order one from CA (I'm in NC).

Assuming you're speaking of non-Rev rods, I can't really comment since I've found much better performance from the various true Rev rods and have kept at least a few around for the very rare occasions when I actually break one.

However, someone else here may be able to share their experience with other brands of rod. ;)

New question:  Outside LE Supersonic rod on my kite - since I played rough while learning, and then pushed it somemore, I've found a crack on the tip.  Rod says Ultralight, same as 1.5 SLE.  I thought all the Speed series rods were different than the 1.5 series, but am now confused - obviously.

I'm passing on this one, the Speed Series is not my forte. ;)

Re replacement rods, if you really can't get hold of the real thing then Avia is the closest in stiffness to weight ratios.  However, in 10 years of flying revs in competition and demos (including 4 European titles)  you just cannot beat the real stuff.  Infact I am still using the original rods I got way back when.  I only broke one rod and that was because the megabyte tried to eat my kite!

So the moral is, there is no substitute. but that of course is just one man's opinion :wink:

I am only interested in the Rev rods in this discussion.  So again, if I have a customer in on, say Tues, with a broken LE (outside, the most common of very rare breakage issues, unlike dual lines) is there a substitue 'rule of thumb'.

FYI, I manage one of the KHKites stores on the Outer Banks, so we do have high traffic during the summer.  I hate not being able to have the right parts in, but it does happen sometimes.  So, just trying to work on learning curve and urgent fixes.

Thanks, Cath

Cath, to answer your question directly... If someone came to me with a broken SUL (2 wrap rod) and I didn't have any handy, the nearest substitute is the EXP (3 wrap rod).

It's a bit heavier, but it's also the nearest thing.

For help with identifying Rev rods by way of the gold labels they come with, check out this URL:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14

Thanks Jon -

Will also tell the customer to order the real thing when they get home ... I don't like mis-leading fliers, or customers in general.

And so many don't understand why we require them to bring the kite itself in for repairs!

Cath

Hi Cath, just a quick thought on the cracked rod.  In the past we have made a quick repair by stuffing the cracked end with some 6mm carbon tube, about 25mm longer than the crack should do it.   Glue this in and then use a little electrical tape on the outside.  

Whilst this does add a little weight, it really makes little or no difference to the flying.  I still use a rod like this and I made the repair about 2 yrs ago!

As for the other issue, I believe that you could substitute an Avia or Sky Shark tube for the broken rod but try and balance the kite up.  So for example if they have broken a down spreader then they should use the new style rod on both sides.  The same is true for the outer sections of the leading edge.  This technique has two benefits,  the flier now has a spare Rev rod and you got to sell them two new ones :wink:

I hope this helps?

Cath,

Good to hear of another NC rev flyer. I don't get your way much, mostly I get to SOBX, around AB and EI. Which shop are you at, across from Jockey's Ridge? I have visited that shop but it's been several years ago.

I checked my revs and the products tab at the left about the SLEs. Here is what I found actually on the kites.

1.5 SLE - advantage / 4 wrap also have some with ultralight / 3 wrap

1 SLE - advantage / 4 wrap

ferrels in center section for both of these.

supersonic, blast, superblast - ultralight / 3 wrap

ferrels in end sections

Blast and superblast came with an additional center section for  "high wind" this is an advantage / 4 wrap

Here’s what I have found on Rev Spars.  I am only listing the comparison for wing tip spars as that was what was asked in the thread.  This information is for factory replacement spars only, if someone has changed their original factory supplied rods for something else then this post may not apply.  Please let me know if any of the information here is wrong and I will update it accordingly.

All Rev vertical wing tip spars are 3 wrap (Ultra Light) except for the Powerblast 4-8, the REV 1, SUL, and the Indoor.  The Powerblast 4-8 uses an SLE as the wing tip spars, the Rev 1 uses the “Revolution Equipped” or 4 wrap spar for the wing tips, the SUL uses the “Professional Use Only” or 2 wrap spar for the wing tips and the indoor uses the special “Indoor” rods.  As you can see from the list below, there are several rods that can interchange between the different kites, nice to know if you are out on the field and you break a rod and have a couple other Rev’s in your bag.  Also nice to know because you can order one rod as a spare and it will work for multiple Rev’s.  For instance, if you own a Blast, a Shockwave, a Supersonic, and a Rev II - you only need to order 4 verticals and you will have one replacement vertical for all four kites (instead of having to order 7 separate verticals)!

Wing tip spar measurements:

Powerblast 2-4:

Inner - 38.25"

Outer - 31" (Same rod as the EXP wing & EXP outer leading edge, and the Rev 1.5 wingtip)

Blast:

Inner - 28.5"

Outer - 24" (Same rod as the Shockwave Inner & Rev II)

Shockwave:

Inner - 24" (Same rod as the Blast Outer & Rev II)

Outer - 22" (Same rod as the Supersonic Inner)

Supersonic:

Inner - 22" (Same rod as Shockwave Outer)

Outer - 19"

Rev 1.5 SLE & EXP:

Wingtip - 31" (Same rod as the Powerblast 2-4 outer, & EXP outer leading edge)

Rev II:

Wingtip - 24" (Same rod as Shockwave Inner & Blast Outer)

REV 1 (Revolution Equipped - 4 wrap rod):

Wingtip - 36" (Same rod as the REV 1 outer leading edge  - not applicable on the SLE).

If you find that you don’t have the exact replacement shaft in stock, you can take the EXP wingtip shaft and cut it down to fit every other size wingtip shaft except the Powerblast 2-4 Inner rod.  This makes a quick and easy way to get your customer back on the flying field without having to wait for the replacement rod to arrive.

I hope this info helps you out.