Flying at Miami Beach

Felix

Does anyone know local regulations for Beach flying close to the National Hotel in Miami Beach?

I will be there for 10 days at the beginning of December on a work based trip so it would be good to know what is possible. Jacob will be there as well so if there are local fliers maybe we could arrange an early morning gig!

Felix

PS We will be staying close to the convention centre!

• Like 1

Felix my friend,

I am so excited to know you'll be in Miami beach!

By the time you arrive i'll be settled into my new home there.

The beach by the national is pretty wide but dominated by many beach chairs and lounges. There are areas to fly there on shorter lines, say 75 feet or so.

Worry not though, we'll have some options!

So psyched!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

Felix my friend,

I am so excited to know you'll be in Miami beach!

By the time you arrive i'll be settled into my new home there.

The beach by the national is pretty wide but dominated by many beach chairs and lounges. There are areas to fly there on shorter lines, say 75 feet or so.

Worry not though, we'll have some options!

So psyched!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

So we should pack some short lines. I think that I have some 80ft sets...

Felix

Hi Rich,

We will be flying in on 1st December. The first few days we'll be working from 8:00am but when the event opens there will be flying time in the morning...

It's Art Basel Miami!

Felix

Excellent! Maybe we can wrangle Jay Nunes, kelly and the rest of the Tampa crew to come down and play with us!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I live and work and in the Miami/ Fort Lauderdale area and would love to meet up with you. There aren't any Rev flyers nearby (except for a couple of guys that I am teaching) so I could use the company. I agree that 75' to 80' lines are about the longest you can expect to fly, especially during the tourist season. I've been flying with 40' lines most of the time when I go to the beach. There aren't any regulations about kites that I know about but showing courtesy is always best.

Hi guys,

I live and work and in the Miami/ Fort Lauderdale area and would love to meet up with you. There aren't any Rev flyers nearby (except for a couple of guys that I am teaching) so I could use the company. I agree that 75' to 80' lines are about the longest you can expect to fly, especially during the tourist season. I've been flying with 40' lines most of the time when I go to the beach. There aren't any regulations about kites that I know about but showing courtesy is always best.

Kurt,

Maybe good for ya or maybe not but I just relocated to Miami Beach and need to get the area on the Rev Map so lets get out and pound some sand!

I'll pm you my info but t be prepared......................heheheh!

Also, you should try to get up to the tampa area and fly with the Kiting Tampa Bay folks. Theyre a great bunch and love to fly at a moments notice! For example, 2/8-9/14

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much any beach you can get to is a good option!!!!! Also Haulover Park in North Miami is a good go to as well!

Near as I can tell there are no restrictions on beach flying. I'd suggest 75' lines.

Sadly I am out of town most of next week so no chance for us to fly but reach out to Kurt Cira on the board here; he can probably steal a couple hours to fly!

Hi Swannie.

From Miramar it's pretty easy to get to Haulover Park. Take the 826 from Golden Glades east till it ends, then go south on A1A (Collins Avenue) about a mile. There is parking and some grassy areas on the west (Biscayne Bay-Intra Coastal side). A good bet is next to the Kite Shop in the trailer at the south end of the park (you can park free next to the store). Winds tend to be east to north-east now. The beach at Haulover is wider than most down here, but 75' lines are about the maximum. I'd bring some shorter ones as well. For inland flying there is a Broward County park called Vista View just north and east of I-75 and Griffin Road (a few minutes north of Miramar) that is built on an old landfill so it's high and mostly treeless. The grass isn't the greatest but it works with winds from any direction. Admission is only $1.50/ person.

I'll PM you with my contact info and we can see if we can get together.

I'm out of here tomorrow (Thursday) morning and I don't think the schedule will allow for any more flying while I'm here. The wind has been kind of crappy, anyhow. I think I need to bring a vented kite next time ... but I need to buy one first. :)

I did try Haulover beach which worked out good (note to self: apparently it's a nude beach, who knew?) but I wish I would have seen that area just south of the beach that you were mentioning, that looks interesting for flying. I don't really care for the sand you guys have on the beaches down here. :)

Maybe next time I'm in town I'll try and hook up with you guys again.

Thanks!

Swannie

I hope you didn't harass those nude sunbathers.cat_lol.gif Only the north end of Haulover Beach is clothing optional. I agree that our sand is not the best thing for your sail. At least I'm not dragging mine across the sand all the time anymore. I usually fly at some baseball and soccer fields or a golf course close to my house with nice soft grass.

I am working with a view of the beach from my desk and today is definitely a full or extra-vent day. The kite-surfers are having a great time.

Too bad we won't get a chance to fly this time. Hope we see you next time through.

Heading down to South Beach December 16th through the 19th. Anyone there like to do some flying let me know. Any suggestion where is a good place to fly, and which kite to bring with?

I should be around and will def fly with ya.....BTW, who is this?

We can fly over by Haulover pier.

Bring 75' lines.....any longer and your choices to fly are severely limited.

What kite to bring......one that flies of course! You can fly anything you want out of my bag if you don't want to stress about it. Otherwise, bring a full sail, a mid vent and a full vent......variety, right? Or again, fly OPK!!!!!!!!!

PM me and we can discuss logistics, etc......

I'm still meeting new pilots down here and will try to wrangle them to come fly with us!

Well let me introduce myself. My name is Xay, but you can call me Say if you like. I've been flying Rev for about a year now. Skill level I won't disappoint you to much. I am normally on the IKECLUB.org, that's where you will find me, and sometime I come on here. I bought my first REV last year, my kite of choice are B PRO. Some of the peoples here do know of me, or fly with me sometime.

Anywho I'll PM you soon.

Xay

• Like 1

Hi Xray,

Since I live near Fort Lauderdale I don't spend a lot of time at South Beach, although I work close to Haulover Park, commonly called North Beach. Kite flying is not prohibited on the beaches as far as I know. I would suggest using Google Maps satellite view to check out the beach near where you will be staying. South Beach has been built out so the beach is fairly wide, much wider most beaches to the north. That's the good. The bad is that South Beach is very popular so it can be crowded. Earlier in the day or before sunset are probably the least busy. Look on the satellite view for areas without cabanna's.

I can try to meet up with you, but be sure to connect with Rich (quaa714). He is in Normandy Island area of Miami Beach (between South and North Beaches) and likes to fly whenever he can. If you are going to bring just one kite I'd suggest a Mid-vent, but as Rich said set with standard and vented would be best. Lines 75 feet or so are goodt, but I find I often need to use shorter ones (40' or so) if the beach is busy. There is a Kite store with an adjacent grass area on the bay side of Haulover Park near the bridge over the inlet at the south end. It's a good place to fly especially if the wind is west to northwest. Hope to meet you.