Diamonds, diamonds, diamonds, are a Rev fliers best friend......

beach

• 3 months later...

busted one part of the 6 piece travel Diamond frame leading edge showing off this past weekend in ocean city. Was doing a few throw and catches, found a shovel stuck into the sand, nice & straight up! Well the throw was magnificent, my body placement relative to the shovel handle positioning was NOT! Flew laser straight and folded like an elbow on impact, right around that darn handle. Everyone laughed, but I was kind of pissed about my gross error in judgement.

That was a necessary reminder

that every occupied stroller is

not a target for my entertainment

I had some extra pieces, so just slapped in a new 1/6 length replacement and was back in the air again.

Diamonds are a great stick, if you can get passed their price of admission. I love 'em in a 40% Shook & my SUL pro.

• Like 1

Snap was pretty central just on the line of the diamond decal. Looking on the bright side this could be the start of a FAB mix and match travel frame. And the wife spoke to our dealer Stephen today he has been very very kind .. BIG SHOUT for KITEWORLD UK. Great service.

Hi Tommy,

Now I have broken one blue_sad.gif

I was using a B series full sail in steady winds of about 7 to 9 mph and flying towards the window edge when a vertical rod let go without any warning and it snapped in the same position as yours at the edge of the decal! blue_mad.gif

This is the only rod I have ever broken and I was surprised that it did as I understand other flyers have used them in much higher wind conditions pushing the limits but staying intact.

Could it be that I had a defective one ? I don,t know, I was just annoyed and binned it! still it,s all down to experience and eventually I will get a replacement.

Bill

Without magic sticks, I'd guess the real wind range to be about 5 mph and not a bunch more! Especially any first run tubes out there! There were some issues with the layup of the materials! With the reinforcement the magic sticks provide, I'm sure it's higher, but as REVflyer said - they aren't a guarantee against breakage!!

Weaker than black race? I wouldn't say that! Different flex and weight, and works well in the suggested wind range! Just another piece of kit that needs be flown in the proper winds! Push it too far ----- SNAP!

As with everything Rev, you have to be comfortable with your equipment matching up to conditions!!

• Like 2

All this talk about wind range is at its core, irrelevant.

Pilot ability is what ultimately flies any kite........

Rev 1 ... black race rods ... 50+km/h winds then ...

I eagerly await the video of the flying cat_lol.gif

busted one part of the 6 piece travel Diamond frame leading edge showing off this past weekend in ocean city. Was doing a few throw and catches, found a shovel stuck into the sand, nice & straight up! Well the throw was magnificent, my body placement relative to the shovel handle positioning was NOT! Flew laser straight and folded like an elbow on impact, right around that darn handle. Everyone laughed, but I was kind of pissed about my gross error in judgement.

Hee Hee Hee!!!!

Been there done that!

Hmmm, There may be.....I'll have to ask Sammy.

It was Dugard and me flying and Sammy being a little.......well anyway

There was a lot of damage done that day to a certain lime green B series and Dugard did some cool on field bridle repairs in a howling wind and rain.

Of course we were giggling the whole time!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Diamonds, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Fully loads up in 3mph of wind, almost half the black Race frame requirements (>5mph)

Can easily maintain sail pressure with less than 3mph with walking backwards.

Responds like a wrap frame, IMO, which I like.

Sturdy enough for gentle axels and catch n (gentle!) toss. I'm not brave enough to try an upright flic flac yet, but I think Watty's style might be safe enough. I say gentle axels and tosses because I'm sure I could snap this frame on a less-than-ideal-conditions one.

Straight up precision flying the other day, 2.5 mph on my SkyWatch... it was magical. Utterly magical.

Keep up the AMAZING work Revolution!

• Like 3

These Diamond rods have endured severe abuse from me, all banged around on the ground and spanked hard in the air,.... and yes I've broken a few, but only thru pilot judgement errors!

~ snapped one in my hand when the wind flipped kite over,

~ another on a shovel sticking up, doing a throw

~ on a steel hand-rail bouncing too aggressively

In my opinion only two sticks are necessary for my 1.5 kites, green Race and the new Diamonds, usage depending on the desire to frame flexible or stiff

your mileage may very!

If we all ask nicely,....

betcha' travel frame formatted Diamond tubes would be available (then you only break 1/6th of the leading edge at a time, HA!)

• Like 2

I am like Paul. I spank my diamonds pretty hard and have yet to break one(since T.i.). I usually fly them in 3mph and under...but at Wildwood I pushed the envelope some and ran them in some good wind with a standard sail and they still survived.

I also follow the 2 frame routine...but with black race as the second option.

• Like 1

I put my full sail pro with Diamonds away around 10 mph, can get scary when you Hit forward and a gust arrives at that Exact Time ! Love these rods and from my limited experience on 4 lines , 2 to 9 with no issues . Tune with a Ton of Brake and most will find these spars to be Not Fragile

Your mileage may vary :)-

• Like 1

Gulp....

I've gone from my Diamond frame SUL straight to a Mid on more than a couple of times. It handles 10mph+ quite easily.

Note: I have sticks and a frenchie on it though.

Ha!, worse yet for me SparkieRob,... I'll use my zen until others are on Mid-vents (yes w/Diamond, sissies and French) All powered up and instantly responsive, leaps like a cheetah that's how I want it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the rig (modified as I would prefer it be flown and we've never met), other side of the earth and all is mere inconvenience. Makes a world of difference on the size of the window and the allowable safe wind range.

Latest mod is to mount LED flashers on the magic sticks to back-lit the kite. Get a tiny unit with multiple colors and see what you think. We were blown away in Wildwood

• Like 2

Myself, if it's windy enough to use a full sail, then there's my choice!! I'm only using a Zen if I feel there isn't enough to really power up a std!! And I consider myself a Zen fan!! I will use 50' or 120' lines and have every bit of fun on it! I like that powered up feel, but if the wind picks up, I'm switching!!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Last weekend at Portsmouth I had the opportunity to fly Diamonds in our printed team sails and compare them with the Decs rev 1 and TFS ultra light sails with Diamonds. Some kites had two wrap or race. All kites felt great. Rev 1 gave great feedback. The TFS ultra lights were also very impressive and I loved our printed sails but I may be biased!

The Diamonds allowed flying in very tricky conditions with a wide variety of sails and set ups. The Diamond rods are certainly a very welcome addition to my kite bag. This winter we will be looking to see how they react to indoor flying. :)

I have diamonds in my 1.5SUL and in ZERO wind (was outside but dead calm all the same) the response from the frame is great. Near instantaneous load and unload snap. I would describe it as punchy. I fly mostly off 30' but also 20' and it is very responsive. Diamonds are just pure fun in ultra low to zero conditions.

Just as a note, I have Magic Sticks and a French Bridle too.

• Like 3