Rev folded sizes

sylvanillo

Question

Dear Rev enthusiasts,

As I haven't found an answer on the following, I am creating this topic.

I want to try Rev flying after a few years of power kiting (unfortunately, no luck with the second hand market, each time I've been bidding on eBay, there's a gracious person who bids 2 pounds more in the last minute to take it, incredible! so I will take it brand new). And to add a few details anyway since this forum seems friendy and it's my first post, my girlfriend and me we leave in UK (Oxford) and we are respectively Spanish / French. And by the way, I have found plenty of interesting stuff, motivating me in the upcoming Rev experience...

Hopefully, some won't find the question stupid. I'd like to know the sizes of the Rev's once folded, at least approximately. To keep the kite in the car it's ok, but it is to know whether it would fit in a suitcase (not hand luggage obviously.... unless Rev does that blue_smile.gif!!!).

Because I'm a passionate fisherman, I know that a large suitcase typically can take a rod holder of aprox 80-85 cm (31.5''-33.5'') as a maximum.

Is there a Rev which would be this small once folded? The B2? That way, it would just go to the fishing rod cordura holder and that's it!

If there is one, my new Rev would probably be this one.... We are going to Canarias for our honey moon soon and it would be so great to simply pack a Rev kite....

Thanks in advance!

17 answers to this question

While you can fold a 1.5 series Rev down to about 34" (the approximate length of the longest spar), mine are usually about 36" long when folded. This is because I leave some space between the ends of the center rod and where the kite is folded over so there aren't any extra stress points on the folds. You probably don't need that much space, but it's the way I've gotten used to doing it. So, length of a folded Rev may vary depending on the person folding it. I once needed to get my kites down to 34" (to fit in a document tube for plane travel) and decided to just take all the spars out of the kite and fold up the sail separately instead.

A B2 will definitely be smaller than the 1.5 series when folded, but sorry I do not know the size of those.

While you can fold a 1.5 series Rev down to about 34" (the approximate length of the longest spar), mine are usually about 36" long when folded. This is because I leave some space between the ends of the center rod and where the kite is folded over so there aren't any extra stress points on the folds. You probably don't need that much space, but it's the way I've gotten used to doing it. So, length of a folded Rev may vary depending on the person folding it. I once needed to get my kites down to 34" (to fit in a document tube for plane travel) and decided to just take all the spars out of the kite and fold up the sail separately instead.

A B2 will definitely be smaller than the 1.5 series when folded, but sorry I do not know the size of those.

Don't worry, that's already extremely precious information. Thanks a lot for all the input!!

jimfielder, awindofchange, dragonfish: first thanks so much for responding, and then.... very good news!!!

I really don't know why I didn't come accross the Rev site page about this travel frame / package, although I haven't been browsing it quite a lot recently, I suppose it's because I am drooling while watching all the products info and the videos on the most well known models.

Ok I will try to find out how to find one of these....

Otherwise the B2 is likely to fit given dragonfish details.

To awindofchange: I have browsed your webshop a number of time, since obviously it is frequently referred to in this forum and because you often give advice, the problem is you are in the Rev native country blue_smile.gif while here in the UK there's only one shop distributing the Rev's - kiteworld.co.uk - and their range and availabilities are still limited.

Anyway main response: thanks and have a good time with your kites.... (still plenty of daytime in the US!!)

I may be stating the obvious, but you may just be missing a trick here. It's way easier to take out and replace a Rev frame than for many other kites and a Rev sail will fold down to take up less space than a tee shirt. The question you should be asking is, "how long is the longest spar." and there in lies my problem, the longest 1.5 spar is very slightly too long to fit diagonally into my Samsonote Oyster, if you have larger ceses, you may well just be lucky.

Stone in Shoe Bob: yes of course, the longest spar. And I don't think I'm gonna be more lucky than you...

awindofchange: ah ok, I was in fact searching for that on the website yest. evening. But you also need to add the EU incoming tax... Just had another pass at the Kiteworld shop and a B2 is already an exotic kite so needs several weeks. But I can go with a French site, where Rev's are far more common. UK kiting is terrible you know.

lylenc: arf thanks so much for completing the data!!

Hello back,

Unfortunately it appears very difficult to get a B2 anywhere in less than several weeks thumbdown.gif Even in the various retailers in france there hasn’t been any luck.

I was wondering the following.

Since

… The EXP frame is for 4-15 mph

… The travel frame is for 4-20 mph (it’s also mentioned as an “UL” frame)

… The EXP and 1.5 SLE are same sail / same size

Then

… EXP package + travel frame would give the same than the 1.5 SLE package, with the advantage of a travel frame?

Am I right?

Thanks in advance

sylvain

Any kite can take a travel frame, you might have to dremel the spars and ferrule it up yourself. Luckily for us, the Revolution factory recognizes (STILL!) the advantages of great customer service. Their clients requested and they complied. Call 'em and ask for what you want,.... many times you'll find you can have it or something close enough to suit your purposes!

I've been doing this rev-thing for a couple of decades and the equipment, plus the available instructional guides are so much more advanced as time goes by. The kites leap into the air with a stationary pilot now, instead of sluggishly moving as we ran around. We used to have to make our own customs to get it to fly in my local conditions. Honest to God, I could make a kite better than the factory when I first got into it! (great builders in my club, National Champs even). Today, if you are willing to invest appropriately, you can get a spectacular flying device right out of the shipping tube.

The EXP is a fine kite, many of us started there, my advice is different though. I want you to eat ketchup sandwiches all summer and use those saved funds for the best rev models. Those are Shook mesh and Bazzer crafted customs. It's not that much more money! It's worth the extra expense even if you can't feel it immediately upon receipt.

Why learn to drive a bus in the super-store parking lot when you could take a Ferrari out onto the test track instead? Either way you're going to crash learning, maybe even break something (not a spectator!) The top end Revolution product is just as durable as the entry model. Why not have it crafted in your choice of colors, frames and targeted towards your local wind conditions? Eventually you will buy the best stuff and if you aren't hooked right away a top-end Rev has some immediate resale value.

The best investment is to go hang-out with other Rev pilots at every opportunity,.... for a couple of years! Learn on OPK (other people's kites). Experience different techniques and equipment. Then, when you know exactly what you want (and have saved enough ketchup sandwich money!), you can pull the trigger on the kite of your dreams. Regardless if you acquired a five designer masterpiece or a 2nd hand EXP, it will be your first REV and loved like a new child blessing the household.

If waiting for weeks is expected where you reside already, heck!, what's another couple more weeks to order direct? Find somebody going to the USA that you know and trust. Arrange for the factory to freight the order to the friend's hotel. You want a travel frame and they have "nothing to declare" for tariff snoops upon returning home. It fits in the luggage easily!

The EXP, 1.5 and the B-Series all use the exact same frames. The EXP frame is the exact same frame as the 3 wrap Ultra Light frame used in the 1.5's and the B-Series. The only difference is that Revolution sticks an EXP sticker on the ones for the EXP and they put the 3 wrap Ultra Light sticker on the ones used for the B-Series and 1.5's.

The Travel frame can handle slightly more winds because the segments are shorter and have ferules installed in them.

Hello back,

Apologies for the delay.

I did chose a Rev finally. Based on all your comments, I opted for an RTF EXP pack, plus a travel frame. These 2 products give like a 1.5 SLE (2 frames, one light one more rigid) with the advantage of being able to carry it on travel.

However, I am not satisfied with this Rev kite - it is compared to its price.

On opening the pack, I was slightly disappointed by the quality of the sail. Then, the frame which is made of 5 equal sticks, seems made of high modulus carbon but not that high quality.

The day after, we moved to a field for a first flight. Bad surprise, the bridle came unmounted, which is strange for a Ready To Fly package... Aie, I should have checked that at home. I wasn't 100% certain how to mount, and for this price better not taking risk, so back home to search for Youtube assistance.

This morning, I had a moment to try again. Second bad surprise, the lines were full of knots, nodes etc, 20 minutes to disassemble the lot and put order.

After that, we were at last ready.

All things compared (power kites, other kites, quality), overall 190 pounds has seemed to me far too much for this kite.

However, it seems it is now flying and we'll give it chances to prove its qualities :)

There is no such thing as 190 lb lines. They should be 90 lb. Look again. They were probably wound well, sometimes when you unwind the lines one will come off the winder and the others don't. If you don't notice this immediately and keep unwinding as if they had you will end up with a mess.

The bridle not being mounted to the kite is strange. Is the kite new or used? On new kites the bridle is normally mounted to the kite. Like you said, most people who haven't flown a Rev before would have no idea where to start. Definitely let the person you bought the kite from and/or Revolution Kites know about this.

However, the amount of smiles this kite will eventually put on your face is worth a bit of effort.

Welcome to the "darkside", have fun, smile, and don't forget to breathe.

P.S. -- Find an experienced flyer to help you learn. It will help a great deal. There are dozens of great flyers in the UK who will be more than happy to help. Check the member map and PM some of them.

I'm thinking the 190 pounds he mentioned was the price!

First time out might be some issues with lines, but if you've studied John B.s video on line management, that should become no problem!

Watty has a video on the forum that shows how to replace a bridle, so reattaching one should be relatively easy!

Quality of sail? Not sure I understand that one!

Vertical rods on the back!!

Breathe!!!

Any kite can take a travel frame, you might have to dremel the spars and ferrule it up yourself. Luckily for us, the Revolution factory recognizes (STILL!) the advantages of great customer service. Their clients requested and they complied. Call 'em and ask for what you want,.... many times you'll find you can have it or something close enough to suit your purposes!

I've been doing this rev-thing for a couple of decades and the equipment, plus the available instructional guides are so much more advanced as time goes by. The kites leap into the air with a stationary pilot now, instead of sluggishly moving as we ran around. We used to have to make our own customs to get it to fly in my local conditions. Honest to God, I could make a kite better than the factory when I first got into it! (great builders in my club, National Champs even). Today, if you are willing to invest appropriately, you can get a spectacular flying device right out of the shipping tube.

The EXP is a fine kite, many of us started there, my advice is different though. I want you to eat ketchup sandwiches all summer and use those saved funds for the best rev models. Those are Shook mesh and Bazzer crafted customs. It's not that much more money! It's worth the extra expense even if you can't feel it immediately upon receipt.

Why learn to drive a bus in the super-store parking lot when you could take a Ferrari out onto the test track instead? Either way you're going to crash learning, maybe even break something (not a spectator!) The top end Revolution product is just as durable as the entry model. Why not have it crafted in your choice of colors, frames and targeted towards your local wind conditions? Eventually you will buy the best stuff and if you aren't hooked right away a top-end Rev has some immediate resale value.

The best investment is to go hang-out with other Rev pilots at every opportunity,.... for a couple of years! Learn on OPK (other people's kites). Experience different techniques and equipment. Then, when you know exactly what you want (and have saved enough ketchup sandwich money!), you can pull the trigger on the kite of your dreams. Regardless if you acquired a five designer masterpiece or a 2nd hand EXP, it will be your first REV and loved like a new child blessing the household.

If waiting for weeks is expected where you reside already, heck!, what's another couple more weeks to order direct? Find somebody going to the USA that you know and trust. Arrange for the factory to freight the order to the friend's hotel. You want a travel frame and they have "nothing to declare" for tariff snoops upon returning home. It fits in the luggage easily!

My sentiments exactly. Buy the best one you can afford. It will pay for itself eventually!

• Like 1