Inverted hover?

Cashmerecasey

I was looking for some advice on how to hover upside down. I am able to to do it for a short bit, but kite eventually wants to land with leading edge facing down. As the kite slowly lands, I think I must be applying too much reverse to try to correct, because the lines go slack, then kite wants to spin. Any ideas, or is the answer obvious "more practice" :) thanks

Did you read the just for fun tutor?

Applying a lot of brake will help a lot.

When you fly with the original leaders, the top leaders are imho too short.

Youll have to extend them and it takes a bit to get used to this but you will notice the difference.

And.. Find pilots in your area and fly with them. It helped me a lot. Succes!

• Like 2

Hi cashmere,

Hope this pic helps,

The orange leader i currenly use with the orginal handles.

The original leader (black) can also be used for achieving this length when larksheaded at an "extend" leader (white) between the handle and the original leader.

And It also prevent wear at the handle end, just replace the exender leaders...

This one i got from this forum,, stroke survivior mentioned this if i remind it well wink.png

What matter the setting i am using the knot, just in between of a roaring kite when flying fast forward and falling down when hovered LE up.

I.o.w. the kite should be silent as possible when FF flying but still hover LE up without walking backwards.

It depends on the wind to set this knot but ussually it;s the third or second knot from the end of the top leader.

On my other handles this is exactly 8.5 inch from the handle end and flies as a dream.

Keep in mind that this is my setting a.t.m. and may not work for you wink.png

fair winds.

Nathan

post-5163-0-15219100-1378044605_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot. I wasn't really sure if there was any advice that could be given other than just PRACTICE, but I appreciate other options. I am waiting for my second rev to arrive in mail ( like a kid waiting for christmas) which is a b-series mid vent so I should have longer leaders to work with and try extenders. Thanks again all

• Like 2

the kite has to back-up or you don't need all four strings.

Set-up the kite with too much reverse,... a quick fix is to slide your grip lower on the handles, imagine your pinky finger is BELOW the foam

practice flying to shoulder height and hover, inverted the whole time. Super-tiny adjustments on the handles and move your feet (forward or backward) to change the wind strength.

the kite is easier to fly inverted, the weight is down and you'll change the angle of attack to alter your position.

practice until you're sick of it and then do something else. eventually though you'll need the skill to back-up inverted to directly overhead, laser straight lines and locked-in speed control. This will take many hundreds (or thousands!) of hours to make looking effortless on your part

There's one trick we came up with when I was helping a friend learn to hover inverted. A common problem in that hover (and a lot of other things) is the tendency to over control. This starts with a little wobble, and builds until you lose it altogether.

What we came up with was flying to the top of the window, turning over, and flying back down. The trick is to fly back down as slowly as possible while maintaining control. Go slower and slower until you are hovering. Slow forward (downward) motion, as opposed to trying to hover, helped him tame the over control wobbles.

• Like 3

There's one trick we came up with when I was helping a friend learn to hover inverted. A common problem in that hover (and a lot of other things) is the tendency to over control. This starts with a little wobble, and builds until you lose it altogether.What we came up with was flying to the top of the window, turning over, and flying back down. The trick is to fly back down as slowly as possible while maintaining control. Go slower and slower until you are hovering. Slow forward (downward) motion, as opposed to trying to hover, helped him tame the over control wobbles.

That is a great way to think about the problem. I'm not trying to fly upside down, I'm merely trying to descend really slowly.

That is a field recovery technique to get back what you used practicing inverted hover in the land of no wind!

True enough. Even with some wind, giving to the kite by walking forward is a great way to slow down that descent without wobbling. Learn to hover inverted and get field management as a bonus! :D