Help please.

Well here it is. The question that seems to have been asked over and over again on these forums. Which kite should I get? I am new to rev flying and love it already only a couple weeks in. I purchased a EXP and I am looking at getting one of two kites that I have narrowed it down to. I am looking at either

1.5 B series std

Or

1.5 B series Mid-vent, also purchasing the racing edge.

The wind here in my area in central Washington state averages out between 3 to 15 mph. Mainly fluctuates with gusts in that range. Budget only allows me to purchase one kite for probably some time, probably only one more EVER as soon as the Boss (wife) finds out I got it. :) I really love the speed of kites, but also love the stability rev's have to offer.

So I guess what I'm asking is, which kite of the two would be a good option for me. I'm sorry it's just the same ol boring question, but i Just wanted some experienced pilots opinions out there. I have been reading posts on forums like crazy and all the information is much appreciated. Please give me your feedback.

P.S

Looking forward to our Washington State International Kite Festival (WSIKF) coming up. Record attempt of 100 Rev's will be a cool topic for the guys at work.

Welcome to the Revolution Forum. This is the best forum to ask your questions as it is dedicated exclusively to the Revolution Kites.

My personal opinion is: (others may differ, maybe not)

Looking that you have an EXP and the wind range you mention in your area, I would tend towards the mid-vent as it fills in the upper wind very well.

In fact with the race rods you will get into the lower wind ranges with the mid vent.

• Like 1

Welcome!!

Seeing as how you have the EXP and it is a full sail (std), I'd go with the mid! Your call, with Race Rods a full vent will go low enough to overlap the EXP's wind range!! Remember all 1.5 frames interchange and your EXP = 3 wraps! Most go with some sort of full sail and full vented to get both ends of the wind range!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info so far, it is much appreciated. Oh Oh I'm here in Wenatchee, so getting to see someone fly and different varieties would be cool. I understand that upgrading isn't going to make me a better pilot, I'm just eager to learn more and get some hours behind my belt.

I find myself playing meteorologist in my own head, telling myself when it would and wouldn't be a good flying time:) I've made several dead end trips to the park thinking I would have enough wind to fly, even going as far as setting up to realize there isn't enough wind. :( oh well, I just hope I ain't the only new guy who's done this stuff.

• Like 1

Don't worry - you're not alone!! Many anticipate only to be disappointed!! Keep hanging in there!!

Have you tried new longer top leaders on your handles? Most of us have them! We use them to adjust the sail's angle of attack into the wind! We shoot for a "neutral" a setting as the day's condition allows! There's info on them in other threads on the forum!

Equalize your lines!!! Take some time to check this!! Make all 4 lines as equal as possible to eliminate having the kite steer itself! Nothing more frustrating than thinking you're doing everything right and have the kite do something on it's own!!

Advise on crashing - If your gonna crash, despite your best efforts, GIVE TO THE KITE!!! DON'T PULL!!! Pulling just drives the kite into the ground that much harder, risking breakage! We want to see flying, not broken kites!!

Remember to breathe and enjoy a life long adventure!!

• Like 1

Hi Cashmerecasey,

Well i am new to this as well, so what can i say to you...Welcome to this great addiction!! Patience is the key here imho. One day you think you got it all sorted out and the next day you think you will never learn.....

Experienced pilots told me that could be a part of the learning curve, Keep practicing is my advice.

As a newbie i all ready can tell that a set of race rods is allways a good choice :)

Fair winds!!

• Like 1

Hi, C. C. -- and welcome to the dark side. Breathe, don't overthink what you're doing, smile and have fun! It will all fall into place by itself. When that will happen depends on the amount of time you spend behind the handles. Relax, the "breakthrough moment" is only a short time away.

Thanks for the info so far, it is much appreciated. Oh Oh I'm here in Wenatchee, so getting to see someone fly and different varieties would be cool. I understand that upgrading isn't going to make me a better pilot, I'm just eager to learn more and get some hours behind my belt. I find myself playing meteorologist in my own head, telling myself when it would and wouldn't be a good flying time:) I've made several dead end trips to the park thinking I would have enough wind to fly, even going as far as setting up to realize there isn't enough wind. sad.png oh well, I just hope I ain't the only new guy who's done this stuff.

Greetings & welcome to the Darkside. Your questions & comments sound just like mine. Keep asking & flying, it helps us others along the path. I started with the 1.5 SLE full sail & later purchased the B mid vent. I love the Revs so much I don't think you can go wrong with any selection. Keep em in the sky!

My quad-line friend,

you will eventually have a whole bunch of these Rev products in your possession, over time or quite quickly. They each warm a special spot in your heart and you enjoy sharing your passion with others as well. With enough time passage, you will develop your own unique style and personal preferences, seeking out witnesses to your antics or others to fly with in multi-line team and pairs.

One new rev kite per year? That sounds reasonable, any spousal-unit could agree to that.

One a month though requires being single or a double secret slush-fund Visa card tied to your meryl lynch inheritance

One fully commissioned masterpiece with custom crafted assembly besides? Insisting upon it being finished over a weekend retreat at the shook palace? . . . Who in the world could justify that decadence?!!? (I bet many of us could guess correctly!)

It is Rich Comras, NOT me!

• Like 3

One fully commissioned masterpiece with custom crafted assembly besides? Insisting upon it being finished over a weekend retreat at the shook palace? . . . Who in the world could justify that decadence?!!? (I bet many of us could guess correctly!)

.... or just drool from the sidelines!

Well said though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hello Casey, I got to agree with revwizard on the mid vent it is a great all around kite. If you can make it to the wsikf august 19-25 there is a good chance you would be able to fly a bunch of different rev types, or at least the ones you had questions about. hope to see you there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Casey and Elmo, I can vouch for the fact that there are "a bunch of different rev types here" at wsikf and many of them are indeed questionable. ;) Lets see, there's that whole jersey crew, some guy with a blue hat and bug goggles, papa smurf and crew, and many buff-clad kite ninjas, for starters. They (we) may look a little weird, but we'll let you try our kites.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Please allow me to share my personal observation/experience concerning Revs. Buy the best one you can afford. B-series at least (pros are better), full sail or mid vent cover a large wind range, get a Zen if your wind is predominantly light. It is worth the investment and if you get one of the "entry level" models...exp, sul, sle, you'll just end up getting the other ones also.

• Like 1