Flying an inside outside

deutsch

Question

Hi, all

Would like to know a little about a Rev Inside flyer. Will an inside fly in really light to no wind, outside? Also, how do you decide what line size and length to use?

Do any of you fly it outside?

I am a strictly recreational flyer no competition and mostly no wind outdoor kiter.

Thanks,

Deutsch

11 answers to this question

Yea, I do know a few folks that use the Rev Indoor outside, but I for one never take it out. The slightest breeze on that kite makes it twitchy and hard to control. In super light winds I stick with a std B-Pro or maybe a Zen if I am feeling lazy.

• Like 1

I've done it a few times and unless you have absolutely zero (indoor) conditions it's horrible. Even the slightest of air movement and it's not worth it.

I will either fly a standard 1.5 on short lines or (more likely) turn to single line gliders.

If rev came up with a 1.5 size that fit in between the standard and indoor and could take the sand and concrete, I think everyone would want one

Guess I'm that guy...

I don't connect the dots like a normal person.

(Normal is just a setting on your washing machine.)

I do fly my indoor, outside, a lot.

I am fortunate that there are dead quiet days (nights are even better), but you still have to be prepared for any pressure, any direction.

Do the end cap mods that Spence has posted on Kitelife (Thanks Spence... Glad you guys share).

http://www.kitelife.com/tutorials/modding-rev-indoor/

I added to it by placing a silicon wafer inside the cap to give the spar a bit of protection from compression shock loads. End cap to spar end isn't hard on hard plastic with wafer.

(This is my theory, no proof, but I haven't stress cracked any more rods while street flying)

The kite is twitchy, unruly, and I love it.

My light air skills have improved so much (JMO) from the indoor/outdoor time.

I can short line fly my MP S&S (in pic above) in much less of a breeze.

My idea of flying may be intolerable to others, but I have a good time and get to laugh at myself.

I need my kite therapy sessions multiple times a day if possible. Those around me will confirm that.

Looks like it will be another evening of no wind.

Have fun either way.

• Like 2

Yea, I do know a few folks that use the Rev Indoor outside, but I for one never take it out. The slightest breeze on that kite makes it twitchy and hard to control. In super light winds I stick with a std B-Pro or maybe a Zen if I am feeling lazy.

I'm doing the same as Watty. ;)

I've done it a few times and unless you have absolutely zero (indoor) conditions it's horrible. Even the slightest of air movement and it's not worth it. I will either fly a standard 1.5 on short lines or (more likely) turn to single line gliders. If rev came up with a 1.5 size that fit in between the standard and indoor and could take the sand and concrete, I think everyone would want one

The SUL fits in between nicely but you would have to move fast to get off the shelf. The other option is maybe a Pro Std done as a SUL.

I took my Indoor outside yesterday for its first flight. We've been having zero wind now for a couple of days. I must say its a different animal and the 10 foot lines make it right there in your face.

Posted Image

I'll be doing it again but ONLY in zero wind. Not going to risk it. I'll fly my SUL if in doubt.

• Like 2

The SUL fits in between nicely but you would have to move fast to get off the shelf. The other option is maybe a Pro Std done as a SUL.

. . . . .

The printed Revs are a great alternative to the SUL. Given that the sail is made from a single piece of ripstop they are lighter than the SUL and I believe the lack of seams allows air to pass over the sail more smoothly. I love mine, it will do all the up close and personal stuff the SUL will and it will also fly team more comfortably on 120's , in lower winds.

The one thing I will say is that, being a one piece sail it does need to be treated with a little more respect. There is still plenty of overlap between printed and Std but I would probably think of changing up to a Std a little sooner when the wind speed picks up.

• Like 2