New Progessive Stack

Mike

My Progressive Stack just arrived in the mail today.

The colors are my club colors and Lolly designed the pattern. I didn't know what it would look like until it showed up on my doorstep.

It's looks great and it flies really great right out of the box.

I like flying the progressive stack compared to a standard stack. With a normal stack of all the same sized kites, all the flier sees is one kite, the front kite. The spectators get all the fun. With this arrangement (Rev II, followed by 1.5 with a Rev I in the back) I get to see the stack as well. And it handles beautifully.

The winds were hovering between 5 and 7 and shifting directions. The stack has all 1/4" spars with a 4 wrap in the Rev II, and 3 wraps in the other kites.

Here's a few photos of my daughter flying the kites:

post-14-1186779334_thumb.jpg

post-14-1186779329_thumb.jpg

post-14-1186779324_thumb.jpg

My Progressive Stack just arrived in the mail today.

The colors are my club colors and Lolly designed the pattern. I didn't know what it would look like until it showed up on my doorstep.

It's looks great and it flies really great right out of the box.

I like flying the progressive stack compared to a standard stack. With a normal stack of all the same sized kites, all the flier sees is one kite, the front kite. The spectators get all the fun. With this arrangement (Rev II, followed by 1.5 with a Rev I in the back) I get to see the stack as well. And it handles beautifully.

The winds were hovering between 5 and 7 and shifting directions. The stack has all 1/4" spars with a 4 wrap in the Rev II, and 3 wraps in the other kites.

Here's a few photos of my daughter flying the kites:

Very Nice! You will have a nice time with them.

As time goes by you might want to try working on axels with them. It is much easier with a progressive train versus straight(all the same size) trains.

Tails can also be very nice to look at. Tails longer the then a meter should be limited to the last REV in the train. I personally prefer six long tails all on the inner trailing edge.

This past weekend, I was flying at an airshow and had a good chance to really try out the stack.

According the NOAA weather page, which gives a history of wind speeds for the past 3 days, I was flying in winds between 5-7 mph on Saturday and 7-9 on Sunday with a brief period of 10 gusting to 17mph.

The stack was such a ton of fun.

I love the stack in 5-7 mph. It files smooth and graceful and was a great eye-catcher for the crowds and drew lots of comments.

I was able to do all the usual Rev moves: dive stops, upside down slides, reverse flight, even reverse circles, landing on a post, threading the needle thru someone flying a b-series, lock the leading edge of my front kite with the b-series, etc.

I didn't do any axels, but I've never learned to axle even a single Rev. Something I've gotta practice one of these days.

While the stack has only a very mild pull in light winds, in the brief period of heavy wind, it had a strong controllable pull. In the heavier winds if I flew slow and stayed out of the power zone, my arms were relaxed. If I flew fast, I could lean way back while flying the kite--which looks kinda cool. For reference, I weigh 120 lbs.

I enjoyed flying these kites sooo much this weekend, I wanted to share.

Here's a couple more photos:

post-14-1187029358_thumb.jpg

post-14-1187029399_thumb.jpg

What a good job they look Mike and thanks for shareing the Buzz they obviously give ya.If you want to borrow a pair of Nineteen fortys diveing boots or crash weight gain manual for the higher wind days,jsut ask..... :lol:;)

Now to ditch some twoliners i dont fly anymore and then have a chat with Rev again.

Thanks again Mike,youve wet my whistle.

BRIAN...

ps,which rev did you land on a post,1st,2nd or 3rd ;)

...If you want to borrow a pair of Nineteen fortys diveing boots or crash weight gain manual for the higher wind days,jsut ask..... :lol:;)

...ps,which rev did you land on a post,1st,2nd or 3rd ;)

Ha ha!

When I was first learning to fly a 6 stack of 1.5s I went out and bought football shoes with cleats to keep me from sliding away :P

Has anyone flown a vented stack? John Mitchell?

I did the tip stand with the kite in the back, the Rev 1.

When I locked leading edges it was with the kite in the front, the Rev II.

When I did the thread the needle I had to remember to move back a lot further than usual, since a stack is a bit deeper than flying one kite. :)

I found all of those moves easier to do with the progressive stack since I can see all the kites at once.

Someone like Lee Sedgwick can do all that stuff (and much more) with a 6-stack of all Rev I kites, but for us mere mortals, I find the progressive stack easier.

I've flown Rev II stacks and Rev 1.5 stacks, but the progressive stack seems more stable.

I never tried a totally vented train whether progressive or straight.

I have had a vented in straight trains. I placed it at the front of the train.

I look at it this way:

1. the REV with the least amount of sail surface goes in front

2. the lightest REV goes to the back

REVs are not my only kite trains. I have also done a number of single and dual line kite trains.

post-41-1187043192_thumb.jpg

post-41-1187043355_thumb.jpg

post-41-1187043574_thumb.jpg

If you have decent wind a vented stack has the same benefits as a single vented in both standard and progressive, I have been testing both and for my area the vented is the way to go smoothness and stability and allot less oscillation at dead stops, same results you get when flying a single vented (only more).

Now all I need to do is get a vented progressive set that matches :kid_brooding:

Just E Mailed Ben about a stack or progressive stack.I do fancy one now after reading about them.Think all the info is good,but need to research a little further.

Any tips,hints will be v cool.

BRIAN...

Hi Brian,

After discussing with steve (kiteworld) the other day about what revolution kites and frames they keep in stock, he did mention that they are now selling a progressive stack. The Kiteworld website has been updated to include this. Also thought you might be interested to know that he will have race spars in stock in just over 2 weeks.

Andy

Hi Andy,Thanks for that mate.

The race spars are on ther way my freind.Ther frameing my latest custom Masterpiece[cant tell what it is.I would have to kill you afterwards]Ben has kindly sorted one each for me and Dave.Ive also ordered a spare set of Race Rods.

Will checkout the link to K/world.

Cheers Andy

BRIAN...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Very Nice! You will have a nice time with them.

As time goes by you might want to try working on axels with them. It is much easier with a progressive train versus straight(all the same size) trains.

Tails can also be very nice to look at. Tails longer the then a meter should be limited to the last REV in the train. I personally prefer six long tails all on the inner trailing edge.

John,What length tails are you suggesting for this progressive stack ?

John,What length tails are you suggesting for this progressive stack ?

Tails look best on the last kite. I use six tape tails made from Icarex polyester, on the inner trailing edges that are 12 to 15 meters long, width is 25mm.

If you have to put tails on the first two kites, they must not be longer then the train lines. Other wise you will have a real mess.

Glad to hear from you Ant, I have been glancing at the Sky for the last few Days, just checking to see if you had taken off with your Blast stack.

Any pictures??? Video would be FANTASTIC. Presume your shoulder joints are back in thier sockets now then.