Old Friend - FOUND!

portlandflyer

I've been flying a bunch lately, mostly my "new" set of used Pros! But in my bag was this sleeve that hadn't been opened in quite a while!!

So one day when the winds were only so-so, I opened this sleeve and out came my old Rev 1! Now this kite came with a 4 wrap frame, 11" handles, and 150# lines! I used to fly it at festivals, but only if the winds were perfect for it! And this was many years ago!

Over the last few times out, I put the Rev 1 on my 90# lines with 13" handles and the only light wind concession, was that I had put a Race frame in it! I'm remembering how much fun that kite is!! Yeah, I know, it's not the latest, greatest, thing out there! My Pros are proof of that!! But it did kindle the fire that burns in me today!! Oh, and did I mention how much fun that thing is? Not a light, no pull feeling on the lines, but a solid tug, even in light wind! Now I know why this size platform was picked to be the basis of the Zen!! Big, solid, and still responsive to the touch!!

I'm loving my old friend!!

• Like 4

In the long path of life I revisit the beginnings from time to time to remind me of how far I've come. With Revs it's all new to me but one of my goals is to fly the Rev 1 well as it is the old school kite of the group. The large sail always wows me when I see it on the end of the lines.

• Like 1

I've been pondering the vented Rev 1 for some time. Still need the Zen for my inland conditions. But until my Rev time accumulates & hopefully skills, I will fly what I have using the next Rev as some kind of self award. Don't have all the line sets covered but it's all coming eventually, right? The journey on the Dark Side continues.

Yay for the REV 1!!!!!

When the 1.5 was introduced I couldn`t stand them......too much of a compromise between the 1 and the 2 I thought...at the time. Took a couple of years....and many revs...to come to appreciate the 1.5 size and generally one of it`s models is the first out of the bag.... They are my "workhorses" but when a 1 does come out it makes it even more special.

My 1`s always will be my faves!!! I have 3....2 Sedgewicks and a classic. Was going to get a Zen but spent the loot on some BMK dualies before they were no longer being made.....the 1 w/2wraps will suffice for now.

bt

• Like 1

Great, I thought my Rev bag was complete with a full sail 1.5, midvent 1.5, and full vent 1.5. Now I need a Rev I ? And a Zen ?!? kid_cussing.gif

Easy Rob, easy!!! I'd say either one would do! The Rev 1 is very "old school" slow, graceful, the Zen is more a light wind only specialty item! Neither would be considered quick! Kinda like comparing a Rolls to a Ferrari!

Besides - the Rev bag is never "full"!!ani_wallbash.gif

Great, I thought my Rev bag was complete with a full sail 1.5, midvent 1.5, and full vent 1.5. Now I need a Rev I ? And a Zen ?!?

Easy Rob, easy!!! I'd say either one would do! The Rev 1 is very "old school" slow, graceful, the Zen is more a light wind only specialty item! Neither would be considered quick! Kinda like comparing a Rolls to a Ferrari!

Besides - the Rev bag is never "full"!!

..... that will have to be "bags" soon!
  • Like 3

My first Rev was almost a Rev 1. I found one in a kite shop and had noooo idea how they were flown, so I didn't purchase it. Then I saw iQuad in Wildwood flying 1.5s and I was done. That was it for me! I still have that kite and fly it frequently. It's as thin as tissue paper, but I still love it!

I experienced a stretching feeling, causing a bit of oversteer! Not like 90#, where the input is instantaneous! Not totally unexpected, as the 1 is such a large wing! But I could put up with it, as it allowed me to fly in very light wind! But really the first time I noticed it!!

• Like 1

I know that the emphasis this year at WSKIF is putting 100 kites up, but I'm thinking maybe if we have enough Rev 1s, we could do some sort of mega-fly with them! Just thinking!!!
I experienced a stretching feeling, causing a bit of oversteer! Not like 90#, where the input is instantaneous! Not totally unexpected, as the 1 is such a large wing! But I could put up with it, as it allowed me to fly in very light wind! But really the first time I noticed it!!

Some of us started with the Rev1s so they just work for us and yes they handle differently. We did fly on longer lines when first flying 8 with Rev1s. 120ft would not be enough for a column of 10 Rev1s I suspect <grins>

Felix