which big Rev is better in light winds?

mombo

Question

Hello to all,

I have been around here (this forum) for a while now but this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which would be better in lighter winds maybe 3-8 mph... the Blast or the Super/Power Blast? It looks to me that the Power Blast might be from everything that I have read but I thought maybe someone might have some first hand advice to help me decide. Thanks for any advice, Mark

13 answers to this question

I guess the first question is what are you flying now.

Are you looking for a kite that flies in light air, or a kite that pulls hard in light air.

Some suggested a Zen on FB.

(Don't know why replies on FB don't pass back to Forum)

Zen is a dream to fly in light air.

I'm currently a no wind (Indoor Rev) to light air junkie.

So much I've learned the past 6 months has turned out to cross transfer.

I have a feeling your looking for power.

I know Penny has buggied with a Blast when it was first released.

Will see if she has more to add.

I prefer foils for boarding/buggy engines.

Tell us more and will take it from there.

Great question. Glad you jumped on the forum.

Mark

Seattle, WA, US, Earth (I think)

I find the Super Blast to be an excellent light wind kite although i prefer to fly with an 8mm frame rather than the much stiffer SLE. However, as with most things in life the biggest advantage you can get is to practice. Good technique will make far more difference than kite choice in the long run. Try and remember to keep the sail loaded until after you have finished a turn. You may well take a couple more steps backwards but then you can regain them with interest on the way down again.

So, Super Blast + Race Frame = Fun!

I wouldn't consider a 3 to 8 mph breeze as light wind at all. To me light is when the smoke rises straight up and does not dissipate, . . . . indoor conditions with an unlimited ceiling!

You could fly a mid-vent w/Race frame in 3 to 8, although I'd prefer a full sail and might even use a Zen if I had long flying lines laid out. As stated previously, it's more about technique than equipment. Someone with lots of low wind experience could fly when others would struggle, even on the same equipment.

The speed series kites will fly in low wind, but it is much more effort for the same reward compared to other models also available (*personal statement*). You need to more clearly define your desires or objectives, for better advise from a Rev dealer or the forum members.

Certainly try-out some different kite models, if the opportunity presents itself, see what fits your wallet and heart's desire. I've owned all the speed series kites except the 4-8, the only one I kept is the Supersonic (the littlest one). It's personality is so unique,... a bumblebee on amphetamines. It's a flick-flak monster with killer side slides thrown in. I connect with the little thing like no other!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replys, Right now I'm flying a 1.5 and a B-Series. I live inland and the winds here are mostly 3-8 mph but are very dirty. The winds are always changing direction and speed most of the time... it takes alot to keep it in the sky. I would be flying around just fine and then the kite would just drop out of the sky. I was hoping that the Blast or Power Blast might have a little more float to keep it in the air till the wind kicks back in. Also I think it might be fun with some extra pull on the days with better wind. It is very hard to learn any technique or maneuvers in these conditions but I'm planning on getting to the beach soon... it is 1 1/2 hour drive. to the closest beach.

Thanks again, Mark

Your description of light changing inland winds is similar to the conditions I fly in frequently. The wind blows nicely all day but by the time I get to the field it is approaching evening with the calm air & little puffs. I have a SLE, a 1.5 mid-vent, a Rev 1 & a Power Blast 2-4. I bought the big PB 2-4 hoping for some light wind advantage plus the fun it would bring in a good breeze. My skill set is minimal but these conditions give me plenty practice for light wind techniques. The PB is stiff & heavier than the 1.5 series. So if you stall it when the wind drops it just falls. It does glide well if you are at the top & turned away to gain ground. The best light wind set up for me at this time is the full sail 1.5 with race rods on light 50' lines. I watched JB's videos & noticed how he keeps loading the sail by sort of popping the lines then pulling a bit or maybe backing up also. That really helped me quite a bit during the lulls. But you are probably beyond my beginner status. I will eventually get a Zen & wear it out. Then there's the gusty high wind days....

• Like 1

Dayhiker is correct in his post, if you are battling changing wind conditions where the wind drops out, you will have the same problem with the 2-4 as you do with your 1.5's. Best situation for super light winds would be the full sail 1.5 series with 2 wrap rods, this way when the winds drop out you can still work the kite by backing up and keeping it in the air.

I am afraid that the 2-4 is not going to make those conditions much better for you. It will however be a blast to fly when the winds do pick up and will pull you around a ton! (which is always fun!)

So I ended up buying a used Super Blast for a good price. If it works well in the low winds here or not ... I'm sure it will be a lot of fun when the winds are a bit better.

Thanks all for your replys. Mark

• Like 1