rev 1 frames

timmyz

Question

i just picked up a rev 1 with a 4 wrap 1/4" frame and would like to get an sle frame for it. where can i get just the leading edge rods or do i have to buy the complete frame set ? i understand that there is both 3 and 4 wrap sle frames for this. if i want to go with 3 wrap sle leading edge, can i still use the 4 wrap verticals or is it best to go all 3 wrap. i hope that made sense. thanks tim

21 answers to this question

The SLE frame is available in both individual rods and the complete leading edge (3 rods). The down rods remain as 1/4" rods.

Now, you might find some one willing to sell you a set "cheap", as they are not a very popular frame.

There is a whole slew of other rod types available that are more versatile and popular such as:

1/4":

- 2 wrap

- 3 wrap

- 4 wrap

- race

- green race

- Zen

Then there are special orders such as the 1/4" 6 wrap

The SLE (3/8") rod is(was) available in both 3 and 4 wrap. Some say they make great tomato stakes. However they do have their good side in a few wind conditions.

John, I don't think the Green Race are available in the Rev 1.

We have the SLE rods in stock and you can purchase them as single rods or all three for a complete leading edge, or you can purchase the whole frameset. Just let us know what you need and we can get it for you.

You can purchase them online here:

http://www.awindofchange.com/category/rev-rev1-parts.html

Or give us a call at our store at (702) 736-1476 and we can process your order. We ship worldwide.

Kent,

Do REV I Green rods exist? Yes! I have a set.

Whether they are available at this time, I don't know.

I made the suggestion to Dave a couple years back. The next time I was in the shop he had a set ready for me. At that time five sets were made.

The green rods are in general, my preferred rods for the REV I.

Kent,

Do REV I Green rods exist? Yes! I have a set.

Whether they are available at this time, I don't know.

I made the suggestion to Dave a couple years back. The next time I was in the shop he had a set ready for me. At that time five sets were made.

The green rods are in general, my preferred rods for the REV I.

We have the SLE rods in stock and you can purchase them as single rods or all three for a complete leading edge, or you can purchase the whole frameset. Just let us know what you need and we can get it for you.

You can purchase them online here:

http://www.awindofchange.com/category/rev-rev1-parts.html

Or give us a call at our store at (702) 736-1476 and we can process your order. We ship worldwide.

i mainly fly by myself and i thought the sle leading edge would be something i would get the most use out of. thanks tim from pittsburgh

Rev 1`s rule!!!

I have 3 Rev 1`s and I really like an SLE in my (self)vented Rev 1. Not so much in a regular sail....but still ok. For those I have a 2 wrap and race frame set for one, and a regular 4 wrap in the other.

The stiffness of the SLE (in the vented) in higher winds keeps it manageable for me. In lower to non existant winds I like the flex of the 2 wrap or race frames.

I may be wrong but generally the naysayers to SLE`s....myself included...are directed at 1.5`s. I tried an SLE in both a vented 1.5 and a regular sail and ugh....no thanks!! The larger sail of the 1`s seem more condusive to an SLE imho.

However....don`t stop there....get a 2 wrap or a race frame as well ;)

bt

Rev 1`s rule!!!

I have 3 Rev 1`s and I really like an SLE in my (self)vented Rev 1. Not so much in a regular sail....but still ok. For those I have a 2 wrap and race frame set for one, and a regular 4 wrap in the other.

The stiffness of the SLE (in the vented) in higher winds keeps it manageable for me. In lower to non existant winds I like the flex of the 2 wrap or race frames.

I may be wrong but generally the naysayers to SLE`s....myself included...are directed at 1.5`s. I tried an SLE in both a vented 1.5 and a regular sail and ugh....no thanks!! The larger sail of the 1`s seem more condusive to an SLE imho.

However....don`t stop there....get a 2 wrap or a race frame as well wink.png

bt

thanks for the help. i'll have to give kent (awoc) a call and pick-up a different frame or two for this. i went through the same problem with my 1.5 rev, now i have four 1.5 s and every frame for it. what an addiction. tim from pittsburgh

thanks for the help. i'll have to give kent (awoc) a call and pick-up a different frame or two for this. i went through the same problem with my 1.5 rev, now i have four 1.5 s and every frame for it. what an addiction. tim from pittsburgh

Well there ya go.....now you'll have to get another 1 or two....what the hey.....might as well get a couple of 2's as well.

I would love to get a Zen but in the last year I've been on a classic old school dualie kick....but did snag a "mini" Sedgewick 2 with a 2 wrap travel frame very recently....mmmm noodles for dinner again!!!

bt

Broke a 4 wrap leading edge in my Sedgwick flying in high gusty mountain winds. Made me ponder the SLE for the Rev 1. But now I realize a vented would be a better choice. Just got my 1.5 B mid vent as my fourth Rev & it was amazing to fly it in similar conditions. I too fly solo & rely on advice from the forum.

Wow! That's rare to break a 4 wrap. Where did it break. How many pieces.

Concerning a vented. Yes, it would be a better choice for those type of winds.

The SLE rod is very stiff thus tends to keep the sail flatter, thus the wind dumps off the sail faster because it is not cupping. It is nice in strong winds but lacks in most other areas. It has its place in my bag and I do use it, but not very often.

Just out of interest, of the three rods I've broken during my Rev life ... 2/3 were 4 wrap spars.

The last one (a 3-wrap) was because I ran out of talent when playing with the waves and paid for my mistake. Of the two 3-wraps that I broke, the first one was a hard rotational contact with the ground while trying to learn an inverted hover and the other was contacting the beach sand during an inverted side slide (there wasn't that much wind, that was just the frame I had in at the time).

Nothing to do with the Rev 1 but my point is that (at least in my experience) it isn't that hard to break a 4 wrap - especially when one runs out of the talent or experience to keep the gear 'safe' in the prevailing conditions or environment.

Good rule of thumb - If you think you need a 4 wrap frame in a full sail, swap to some thing vented!! I rarely put anything over a race frame in my std, I find if I need more frame, then I switch to the mid instead and put as light a frame as I can get away with safely!

• Like 1

In light winds it is nearly impossible to break anything, 2 wraps rarely ever get broken unless they are flown in winds that are stronger. That being said, 4 wraps always take the most severe abuse because they are always flown in the strongest winds. The kite is alway flying its fastes as well, meaning that when it contacts the ground or other objects, the impace is more severe. We sell more 3 wrap and 4 wrap replacement rods than 2 wraps.

In light winds it is nearly impossible to break anything, 2 wraps rarely ever get broken unless they are flown in winds that are stronger. That being said, 4 wraps always take the most severe abuse because they are always flown in the strongest winds. The kite is alway flying its fastes as well, meaning that when it contacts the ground or other objects, the impace is more severe. We sell more 3 wrap and 4 wrap replacement rods than 2 wraps.

Well, that sure makes sense. ani_victory.gif

Stronger Winds + Fast Speed = Severe Impact (BIGGER CRASH) cat_shifty.gif

Concerning a vented. Yes, it would be a better choice for those type of winds.

The SLE rod is very stiff thus tends to keep the sail flatter, thus the wind dumps off the sail faster because it is not cupping. It is nice in strong winds but lacks in most other areas. It has its place in my bag and I do use it, but not very often.

I was level & climbing at about 30' in the left center of the window. The spar broke in the middle of the gold label. I may have previously cracked it in ground contact & the gust merely finished it off. That seems more likely. It was funny how the sail stayed in position but the kite did a nice side slide to the right. I did not know what was wrong until I landed & the sail drooped on the left side. Guess it was fortunate that I did not tear the leading edge fabric. The spar hinged instead of breaking cleanly. It was a crazy day to fly. NOAA forecast was "west winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to 28. My Kestrel wind meter confirmed the forecast winds. I am new to Revs & not that much of a pilot. I now have a better selection of kites & rod sets. I will likely not fly the full sail Rev 1 in winds above 10mph. If it's gusty I will enjoy the mid-vent 1.5 with a 3 wrap set.

Choice of sail is a personal thing!! I don't like too much pull (my choice), stroke and other factors play into my decision! I tend to go with a slightly underpowered, rather than an overpowered sail (again my choice), especially if flying solo! I'd be hard pressed to remember the last time I put a 4 wrap frame in anything other than my f/v or x/v!! And that would be rare too!!

I am experimenting with a slightly overpowered sail for team use! The extra "go" is useful to avoid accidents and still have control in moves!! Learning to ride the brakes!!!

wow this question really took off. i haven't been at the forum in a few days, so thanks for the advice. since i mostly have light wind conditions i should give kent a call and order a 2 wrap or race rods. tim