Hi from the UK.

Guzzi rider

Hi folks. First post from a first time Rev user. Only flown it twice so far as its been too cold (sub zero and snowing on my days off work) but now on a weeks holiday so should get some air time :-) . My rev is an SLE full sail red and black plus a set of ul rods. First flight was a disaster, just could not keep it in the air. Second time out was much better, yep you guessed it, verticals were the wrong side of the sail. RTFM. LOL. Already gleaned a lot of info from this forum and hope to contribute in the future.

All the best. Steve.

• Like 1

Hi,welcome to the Forum and welcome to The Darkside.

big_starwars.gif

One piece of advice, don't struggle on alone try and find other Rev fliers, an afternoon with a good mentor will make the learning curve a much easier journey, save you weeks of learning from trial and error.

I don't know if you've figured this out yet, but us Rev fliers are a gregarious bunch and we tend to gather in clusters, I don't know of any in Kent but The Decorators gather on Black Heath, there are a few fliers around Clacton in Essex, and there is another large group (including but not exclusively, The Flying Squad), that fly on Dunstable Downs in Bedfordshire. I am one of the Dunstable fliers but I'm having to a break from flying at the moment so sorry I can't offer to help myself, but I'm sure someone will soon come forward and offer some F2F help.

If you don't get to meet up with others, see if you can get along to a kite festival sometime - the Portsmouth kite festival over August Bank Holiday weekend has traditionally had quite a gathering of Rev flyers. These are great opportunities to talk all things kite and pick up a load of ideas. When you're ready - basics covered: flying with controlled speed, hover at any point of the clock face - they can also introduce you to the fun of team flying.

BTW: a set of 120 foot lines is a worthwhile investment...

Above all else, *have fun*!

Hi Steve,

All that Stone in Shoe Bob states is very good advice ! without him as my mentor and others on Dunstable Downs I would be

way behind the learning curve !

Blackheath, Sunday 10.30 onwards and the same at Dunstable Downs will usually catch Revs in action but with the

up and coming festivals some fliers will be away, see the calender link. http://www.kitecalendar.co.uk/

We have a new Rev flier on the Downs, Mark, not a member yet but I keep nagging him, and after only a couple of weekends

his skill set has improved with a few tips from the rest of us!

Bill

http://www.kitecalendar.co.uk/

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and advise so far. Meeting with other users might prove difficult as I work three from four weekends :-(.

Did manage a couple of hours yesterday at the local park, wind very variable from pulling me across the field to nothing at all. Lots of take off and landing practice LOL. Need more practice. Most fun I've had with a kite since I bought a five metre pkd buster power kite. Looking forward to working my way through the tutorials. Thanks again folks, I'll keep you updated as I progress.

Welcome Steve! :)

Wow!! A message from the gods ! ;-)

Thanks John, I've Lost count of the number of times I've watched your videos and feel I have learnt a lot from them. To all others who have both welcomed me and offered advice I thank you and assure you I will take it on board, particularly about flying with others. I WILL seek out Rev flyers locally and learn from them. Already worked out I need a vented to slow things down a bit when the wind's up, why isn't there a Rev with a zip out panel for higher winds ? Lol ;-) Raining again today so no flying, back to the videos :-(. Thanks again all.

• Like 1

you could make you own vent covers (affixed w/velcro buttons) but you are adding some more weight and affecting the lower end of the wind range. Dave Ashworth has a home-built with 3 vents on each wing and covers for each, you open or close according to the variable conditions. While the rest of us fiddle around with switching-out frames and different sail/venting configurations,... Dave just keeps right on flying!

• Like 1

Wow!! A message from the gods ! ;-)

. . . . .

Thanks Already worked out I need a vented to slow things down a bit. . . . .

Reading this I'm wondering if you are missing a trick here. When I bought my first Rev the official line was you fly with all four lines the same length. However most experienced fliers flew, and still do, with "break applied". This is done by tying extra knots in the break line leaders on the handles. If you buy a B series they come with pre tied leaders on the handles, but the SLE just had plain leaders, that was a while back, the SLE may now come with pre tied leaders but if it doesn't you need to investigate there are threads on the forum, I'll find the if you need them. Flying with "Break Applied" by default kills excess drive and makes the hover much more achievable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not being around lately guys and gals, but the sudden and unexpected death of my stepdad has meant I've not been flying at all. It's amazing how much paperwork , stress and general family discord has been generated. I thank you for all the hints and tips you've supplied and have been checking out the links you have given me. Things are slowly returning to normal so hope to get out flying soon as I need to de-stress and I can't think of a better (chemical free) way of de-stressing than kite flying. Thanks again .

Sorry to hear of your loss, I know how sometimes life can get in the way, I've had a bit of the brown stuff in my life lately and had to take a bit of a sebatical.

Thanks for getting back to us though, some of us were talking about you on Dunstable Downs Sunday and were wondering why you had gone quiet, Rev flying is not for everyone and that's fine, but it can be a bit frustrating when newbies just disappear without a trace.

Welcome back and enjoy the journey.

• 2 weeks later...
We have a new Rev flier on the Downs, Mark, not a member yet but I keep nagging him, and after only a couple of weekends

his skill set has improved with a few tips from the rest of us!

I just noticed that Mark is a member known as " marki " but has not posted yet !

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the Darkside ! ani_yahoo.gif

Who,s the lucky one to live on the doorstep of Dunstable Downs, it makes us green with envy!

Bill