Pairs Advice Wanted

West Australian

next time together, you guys are way beyond follow the leader now

work on quarter pivot turns (side-by-side, like 2 columns & in unison)

objective is to control/maintain your altitude and match the speed of your partner

slow turns, hold each quarter stationary in between movements

think "geometry"

okay do it again,

but as wing-tip pivot-turns this time, going up or down an imaginary vertical line (side-by-side, like 2 columns & in unison)

• Like 2

Did you mean something like this wink.png

I put the target kite where I could touch it with the Rev, just as though it was someone flying with me. Don't have to do that anymore. I'm a very lucky guy with a wife who loves to fly as much as a I do. She likes Street Rods and Vintage travel trailers as well. How lucky can one guy get?

Myself and West Australian crossed lines this morning and..... it was unreal. Great fun. Even had a couple of tangles but with a bit of a laugh, it took no time at all to fix. Will definitely be doing that again. We were on 80 footers as they were the longest lines we both had. Can't wait to try 120's! It was good to be it that kind of proximity of another kite. To interact with and upon another in the air is a joyous feeling. YOU WERE ALL RIGHT, it wasn't as scary as it looked. Advice for newbies, CROSS THOSE LINES!!

• Like 2

Myself and West Australian crossed lines this morning and..... it was unreal. Great fun. Even had a couple of tangles but with a bit of a laugh, it took no time at all to fix. Will definitely be doing that again. We were on 80 footers as they were the longest lines we both had. Can't wait to try 120's! It was good to be it that kind of proximity of another kite. To interact with and upon another in the air is a joyous feeling. YOU WERE ALL RIGHT, it wasn't as scary as it looked. Advice for newbies, CROSS THOSE LINES!!

Oh, dear.....you're hooked now..................

Enjoy the ride....

• Like 3

It sure was great fun.

Amazing how easy it was to sort out the kites.

I should be getting those long lines soon.

We just have to keep flying, we will get better at it.

I should put a mesh screen over my top lines though.

Stop you taking short cuts through there ;););)

Oh, dear.....you're hooked now..................

Enjoy the ride....

Oh yeh. I like to fly, just generally.

I try to fly every weekday infact.

But Flying with someone, just makes it so much better.

It does not matter if you are in the same patch of sky or spread out in the field.

Just having someone else out there to share it with. Sweet.....

• Like 2

you "hook a team" by going to the same place, on a schedule,.... then just keep repeating yourselves. Eventually folks will see you, try it, some get interested and some go so far over the top that it is considered a serious addiction. (Those are the folks you're seeking!) Someday soon, a whole club of various kite fliers will be with you and you 2 guys are the grand pookas!

As founding fathers of a new kite club it is your true purpose to spread the joys of all styles of kiting! Your particular focus is to assemble a team of quad-heads and actually look like you have done this stuff before (together!) Many pilots will come and go before you are finally satisfied, remember though,... we were all the new guys once and, the journey is more pleasurable than the destination. There are lots of ways to get there! Which route is going to become your style?

• Like 3

Hi, did you see the published team standard for newbie team flyers? A pair is a team http://www.revkites.com/learn-to-fly/revolution-team-flying-manuals

Thanks mate, that's a great resource.

you "hook a team" by going to the same place, on a schedule,.... then just keep repeating yourselves. Eventually folks will see you, try it, some get interested and some go so far over the top that it is considered a serious addiction. (Those are the folks you're seeking!) Someday soon, a whole club of various kite fliers will be with you and you 2 guys are the grand pookas!

As founding fathers of a new kite club it is your true purpose to spread the joys of all styles of kiting! Your particular focus is to assemble a team of quad-heads and actually look like you have done this stuff before (together!) Many pilots will come and go before you are finally satisfied, remember though,... we were all the new guys once and, the journey is more pleasurable than the destination. There are lots of ways to get there! Which route is going to become your style?

Thanks for the Encouragement.

Perth West Oz used to have a bigger stunt kite scene years ago.

It is mostly kite surfing out here now. Hopefully that will change.

I will be happy to help it change......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Did you mean something like this wink.png

I just had to smile when I saw this. The one time I staked out an SLK to fly my Rev around, it was a purple Prism stowaway parafoil just like that one. And that kite actually belongs to my 5 year old daughter. :)

Does anyone have any advice on Pair flying for a Rev Rookie?

My advice is fly with someone much, much better at it than you are. :)

My first pairs experience came at Kittyhawk last fall after the OBSKC. Dennis Smith was kind enough to show me the ropes, and thanks to his calling and flying I managed to not crash either of our kites. I almost looked like I knew what I was doing, but I knew it was all Dennis.

It was about the most fun I've had flying since I first picked up a Rev. I highly recommend it.

Last Sunday at a club fly, a buddy and I were flying two of my Revs with dual tails on them. We hadn't planned on pairs. These kites had different venting, different line lengths, even different SIZES. He hadn't flown quad in years. We just kind of gravitated into the same space in the sky and started playing. It was a blast. And even our impromptu antics looked cool enough with all those tails that people were putting down blankets to watch.

I'm hooked.

• Like 3

don't build up "the smith" too much Brian, he needs a wheelbarrow to hall around his ego,..... luckily for him, I'm the still totting his luggage. He beats-up on me every time. Usually by double digits & he's been doing it for almost a decade now (in MMB). Nobody on earth ever flew a TC Ultra like MJ's guy either in case you imagine he's one dimensional!

As a "soul flyer" I have little chance of victory against an excellent musician who can also craft superb choreography, even if I do know how to use my THUMBS! We have had some epic battles together and I enjoy his company

..... just don't let on that we all admire him

• Like 1

Brian, that statement I can completely appreciate and whole heartedly agree with (from personal experiences of my own!)

Dennis is a unique friend of mine and has helped me many times, as well as crush my feeble spirits thru superior performances just as frequently < LOL! >. He's a fun leader on the quickly-assembled team line-ups and a hoot as my crew in Freestyle/OIOU. He's my mortal enemy in quad-line pairs, precision, ballet. We ride each other like ponies with lively comments!

One time at an outer banks workshop or quad-line clinic, whatever!,... the point is we asked him to instruct us on how to properly assemble choreography. He said three words,... "know your music" What? That's it? That doesn't help a soul flier. I have to improvise quickly responding to music I'm hearing for the first time. I don't know what's coming next or how long that musical burst will last. I need help from the sound tent managing the song's length. MY peers and the judges at least suspect I'm pulling it out off my tail-feathers as we go along.

That is exactly the secret to enjoying yourself (in my opinion) over a long hall. You make it up and are witness to how things come out. You might win or get creamed, but you don't fret or frown on the traveling trip. You pick music (or it's picked for you, mystery ballet!) standing on the field.

You've notice how many "greats" have come and gone? From builders & pilots, to the true innovators. The worked on their craft to master it, then got burned out and vanished. I always feel like it's my first time and I can't believe how cool this stuff is. I'm not at work, I'm jacking around with everyone watching me. There's no pressure, whatever happens I'll be back! It's not about winning, it's about making sure that smile never departs from my own face.

John Barresi and I used to laugh,... I was a kite builder, fiiddler and he flew precision figures, now we have switched sides. I haven't built since Bazzer and Shook came on board as Rev associates, but I do actually go out with a purpose to practice precision figures. Who would have ever thought our interests would reverse to this degree?! I hate precision, but if you don't fly it you're stuck judging and I'd really hate to see the end of competition, for all of it's woes. I do it just so it survives and I get to see some old friends every few months or so. We came up thru the ranks together. I've been in "masters" since '04 and probably haven't won (the only event a care about is MMB) twice in that decade.

Lots of my brothers & sisters on the competition circuit are all gone now. But I can usually look forward to see "the smith".

I'll get the luggage Dennis, (at least until I can beat you, and as a soul flier too!)

Back on topic, this is about pairs advise.

Go find someone and make them fly with you, drive hours each way if you have to, it's worth it. The fun, the knowledge, the technology, the friendships shared,.... honestly it more fun than is legal in this country!

• Like 2