Never used music. Am l missing out?

Stephen

Hi,

I have been reading in several posts and also some of the interviews on Kite life (the Lee Sedgwick in particular) about how important music is to fliers when just out flying recreationally as well as demo/competitive flying.

As someone who has never used music when flying I am interested to hear about how others use music and what I might be missing out on.

Cheers

Stephen

I'm not sure at what point in my developing skills that I added the music but it was pretty early in the process. I do know that I fly to/with the music and it is boring to me without. On my last trip to the coast I forgot my mp3 player and was willing to pay my son 3 hours labor to deliver it to me. Fortunately he suggested streaming Pandora with my new smart phone and that got me through the weekend. With music I can fly 3-6 hours and the time just flys by. Try it with music - you won't likely go without it afterwards.

I never fly to music. For me music of any kind is one of two things: the absolute focus of my attention to the exclusion of EVERYTHING else, or really annoying noise. I like music, but not while I'm doing something else. Exceptions are dancing (of course, although I have been known to totally ignore my partner) and while driving (music and driving seem to occupy different parts of my brain).

Six of one....half dozen of the other....

I don't think you'd be "missing out" at all as the ambient soundscape you are in can be the best "music" in the world....John Cage's 4'33 for example... At the same time it is nice to put on your fav ditties and dance with the kite. This can help with one's "timing" by all means.

I'm a musician and am lucky to use kiting in my work....I can listen to stuff I have to learn or different mixes of pieces I may be working on. I also work this in reverse as I often fly a kite with no music, video the session, and use the kite movement as a graphic score per se...

I have no interest in demo/competitive flying, so compiling a "routine" based on music wouldn't be part of the equation although I can see why/how that works. However if one doesn't like the music selection the appreciation of the live or videoed flying session/routine/demo is greatly diminished.....ie that god awful toon on the front page of this fine site.....sorry folks.....

bt

I fly with and without music, but I would say it definitely enhances your flying experience. Sometimes I get overly focused on what I am doing and get frustrated if there's a certain move I haven't figured out yet. The music helps me "let go".

I hardly ever fly w/o music, generally it is those same crap tunes I was listening to last time we got together. Folks that fly with me frequently get all green in the face and sick to their stomachs, but some of that music is worthy!

My buddy Jim Cosca told me one time,..." i don't like your music or the way you fly your kites" Funny thing is, I drove him to the event and thought that comment should have been saved until he got back home. We're still friends though, but don't travel together any more <LOL!>

I enjoy flying to music so much that IF I forget mine I return to get it!

At times, I'm not sure which I enjoy more...flying or my music! ...Best of both worlds when I do both!

Only draw-back, I find, is when an on-looker has interest/questions and I may appear to be ignoring them. Often thought of getting "Not ignoring you...Just listening to my music" (or something) printed on the back of a T-shirt! blue_music.gif

When Lynn and I are flying demos at an event, just us or with others, naturally there is music, but that's not at all like flying to music by yourself in a nice setting. I don't fly by myself very much any more, but when I do, I always hook up my headphones to my mp3 player or iPhone and get the music going. It can be both exciting and very relaxing. On two different occasions I have had someone tell me that they could tell when my music changed by the way my kite was flying.

Try it. If you don't like it, don't do it again.

Any bets which way that one will go?

I hardly ever fly w/o music, generally it is those same crap tunes I was listening to last time we got together. Folks that fly with me frequently get all green in the face and sick to their stomachs, but some of that music is worthy!

My buddy Jim Cosca told me one time,..." i don't like your music or the way you fly your kites" Funny thing is, I drove him to the event and thought that comment should have been saved until he got back home. We're still friends though, but don't travel together any more <LOL!>

3 words...........The Man Song!!!!!!!!

I almost always fly with music when I'm solo... Much prefer Pandora or the radio though, because of the randomness of the music, it catches me more in the moment... If I play my iPod list, no matter how many tracks or how randomized, it never surprises me with a boost of energy like unexpected tracks do. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was really surprised when I first tried flying solo with music. I expected it to not be much different. I thought that instead of flying my kite, I'd be flying my kite...with music playing. But something else happens. Even if I'm not concsiously "flying to the music" I find that things just kind of start to sync up and flow. It just feels good. I fly very differently.

I don't do it if there are other flyers there, or I'm trying to practice a particular move, or I forget my earbuds.

• Like 2

I enjoy flying with or without music, however, I can only fly for a couple hours straight before I lose my focus. I just can't break out of my training routine after awhile. Music helps me switch my styles up randomly, and helps to keep the flying infinitely fresh :)<br /><br />With the music on, I'm ready to set Guinness Book world records for kiting duration!

• Like 1

I enjoy flying with or without music, however, I can only fly for a couple hours straight before I lose my focus. I just can't break out of my training routine after awhile. Music helps me switch my styles up randomly, and helps to keep the flying infinitely fresh smile.png<br /><br />With the music on, I'm ready to set Guinness Book world records for kiting duration!

Good Luck on setting a setting a Guinness Book world records for kiting duration.

I think Ray Bethell holds that record of around 8 hours or more non-stop with a "more than one line" kite. The exact time I do not know but I am sure it can easily be found on the internet.

If flying by oneself, music is a good training tool - just get the right meter & beats per minute. It's not about enjoying the music (tho' that helps) - but enforcing discipline in manoevres to sharpen the skills. You turn on the beat, not when you really think you're ready, you set travel speeds to cover your canvas smoothly with the musical phrase. No matter how the wind pulses or drops.

That's my aspiration and, who knows, with more practice I might achieve it one day! smile.png

Give it a go!

• Like 1

I was really surprised when I first tried flying solo with music. I expected it to not be much different. I thought that instead of flying my kite, I'd be flying my kite...with music playing. But something else happens. Even if I'm not concsiously "flying to the music" I find that things just kind of start to sync up and flow. It just feels good. I fly very differently.

I don't do it if there are other flyers there, or I'm trying to practice a particular move, or I forget my earbuds.

Andy has it so right. I was relly surprised when I first started flying Revs, I was flying alone listening to my iPod and relised I was actually flying to the music, you just can't help it. It is a technique Disney use for crowd control opening time in the Magic Kingdom they play marching band music as they open the gates and very few people run to be at the front or queues, it takes a very strong will not to walk in time to the music.

• Like 1

<br />Good Luck on setting a setting a Guinness Book world records for kiting duration.<br />I think Ray Bethell holds that record of around 8 hours or more non-stop with a "more than one line" kite. The exact time I do not know but I am sure it can easily be found on the internet.
<br /><br />At Antelope Island last year, I believe it was David Hathaway that began reffering to me as the "Energizer Bunny of kiting". I hope this isn't a reference to being annoying, like that damn bunny came to be, but rather a reference to my stamina. <br /><br />Maybe next year at KP I'll make a run at Mr. Bethel's record, for real, and do it officially. You can be sure that when I do, I will have 2 fully charged iPod Nanos and my smartphone at my disposal so the music can keep me going!<br /><br />
  • Like 1

<br />Good Luck on setting a setting a Guinness Book world records for kiting duration.<br />I think Ray Bethell holds that record of around 8 hours or more non-stop with a "more than one line" kite. The exact time I do not know but I am sure it can easily be found on the internet.<br /><br />At Antelope Island last year, I believe it was David Hathaway that began reffering to me as the "Energizer Bunny of kiting". I hope this isn't a reference to being annoying, like that damn bunny came to be, but rather a reference to my stamina. <br /><br />Maybe next year at KP I'll make a run at Mr. Bethel's record, for real, and do it officially. You can be sure that when I do, I will have 2 fully charged iPod Nanos and my smartphone at my disposal so the music can keep me going!<br /><br />
<br /><br />Or... have a live band handy!
  • Like 2

Realize the premise of the OP is taking a sideways turn but....silence can be golden.

Mr. Bethell was a mentor to all of us flyers at Vanier Park in Vancouver. My tenure was from 1993 to 1996 when I moved out of the city.... Portable listening units were also slightly more cumbersome than today..... Ray didn't use one...

http://www.raybethell.com/html/a_01a_10.htm

bt

• Like 2

When I fly solo - which is 95% of the time - I like to "dance with the kite". OK, my body don't move much usually, but my mind and my flying does. Often I screw up a move, or the wind throws a curve - the kite does it's thing and I just have to respond. So the dancing is truly a two way conversation. Surprisingly (?) recovering from screw-ups has added as much to my ability as trying to perform pre-scripted moves. SO - my question is how the H do you dance without MUSIC?

I guess if all you are trying to do is practice moves, that doesn't make sense. But if your aim is to fly connected with the kite and the wind, and the world, enjoy and let the little kid out to play, then music is essential to my experience.

OTOH - if your idea of music is not danceable, then it would not add to your experience.