Frames in progressively vented sail stacks

Robtulloch

I'm putting a stack together and I'm seeking some advice on frames. The kite order from front to back will be; Polo VTD, Vtd, Mid, Std and Std. I'm going to use link lines with the pig tails at the connection points. The frames I want to use are 4, 3, 3, 3, 2. I have considered having a 4 wrap frame in the lead kite and putting a 2 in the LE and have the rest as 3's. I have flown the combo of 4, 3, 3, 2 in 15-20km/h without the Polo and that was a work out. I know Kent's 8-Stack are all Std's and they have real heavy frames.

Would a stack of progressively vented sails produce less sail presure to be able to use this combination?

Can I get away just doubling up of the LE or do the verts need to be heavier as well?

Thanks.ani_weightlift.gif

I'm putting a stack together and I'm seeking some advice on frames. The kite order from front to back will be; Polo VTD, Vtd, Mid, Std and Std. I'm going to use link lines with the pig tails at the connection points. The frames I want to use are 4, 3, 3, 3, 2. I have considered having a 4 wrap frame in the lead kite and putting a 2 in the LE and have the rest as 3's. I have flown the combo of 4, 3, 3, 2 in 15-20km/h without the Polo and that was a work out. I know Kent's 8-Stack are all Std's and they have real heavy frames.

Would a stack of progressively vented sails produce less sail presure to be able to use this combination?

Can I get away just doubling up of the LE or do the verts need to be heavier as well?

Thanks.ani_weightlift.gif

Go for the 4,3,3,3,2 first and see how well they fly. If the wind is a bit too light try 4,3,2,2,2. If it gets stronger change to 4,4,3,3,3

Play around in this area and you will surely find what you prefer.

Go for the 4,3,3,3,2 first and see how well they fly. If the wind is a bit too light try 4,3,2,2,2. If it gets stronger change to 4,4,3,3,3

Play around in this area and you will surely find what you prefer.

I only have 1 frame set of 2's, could a set of black race rods do or does the mix of flex create an issue? Can see it being too much of a drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No direct advice ... but I can give you some relative advice on Race Rods that may or may not be of use to you.

On my B2 set stack (vent, mid, std - front to back) I use 4-3-3 frames. I used to use 4-3-RR but even on the little B2 I could see the full sail at the back was flexing more than the other two. At no time was it a safety issue or a risk of anything breaking, I just didn't like seeing that extra load on the rear kite compared to the other two ... it just looked out of place to my eye.

Now that I have the 3 wrap frame in the back they all look uniform in their flight shape. I guess I could try a 2 wrap in the rear since that should be stiffer than the RR (and thats whats in 4/5 kites in Watty's stack so it's plenty strong enough - I've flown it), but I don't mind a little over engineering.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Put up Vtd, Mid & Std stack today with frames of 3 wrap, black race & black race in reasonable wind with some strong gusts. The back kites with race frames didn't bend excessively but it was noticeable. I'll still try them when I put up the 5 at once and see. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Quick update: Put up a four stack suite, Polo VTD, Vtd, Mid and Std with 4, 3, RR and RR. Winds were quite mild, low teens (km/h) I think. At first I thought I may have over framed the first 2 kites but after I got it into the air it didn't feel heavy at all. It wasn't nimble though. The RR framed kites had a minor amount more curve than the other two but I was looking for it.