Antelope Island 2013

wakeless kites

Well it has been a busy fall and winter so far, but I am very happy about the upcoming spring and all that goes with it….

The Antelope Island Stampede Festival committee is gearing up for another outstanding year and it is my pleasure to announce the dates for this year’s event, the 5th year with kites as part of the festival.

Labor Day Weekend 2013:

August 30 - Sept 1 (Fri - Sun)

• Save the date

• You don't want to miss it!

2012 saw a lot of new people on the island and we also saw the island under extreme conditions, weather wise, to say the least. The spirit of the people who were there reigned over these conditions and a really great time was had, some special memories were made and we flew some kites. It’s hard to say what I thought about the time on the island last year without sounding like a proud father that is why I asked others to give their truthful thoughts on the event for the write up in Kitelife.

http://www.kitelife.com/events/2012-antelope-island-stampede/

Those that were there know that the conditions don’t make the event, we make the event, most of the kite fliers and kite makers I know, know this to be true.

This year we will have a lot of the same things going on, BMX bike demos, Sky Divers, Power Paragliders, Hot Air Balloons, kites, bands all day into the night, all kinds of food, craft and entertainment vendors, kids kite making and more to come.

2012 was also the first year for the after event KiteStock. We are doing that again Monday and Tuesday night after the event, we camp out on the island and just relax, explore, swim in the lake, eat, drink, dance if you want to. Last year we had three of the most amazing nights of flying I have ever been a part of and it was cool.

So I will be posting updates as I get them, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Here is the link to the official site for AISF, http://antelopeislandstampede.com/

Thanks to those who have come and thanks to those who will come.

Kevin Bayless

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Well with just 4 months to go, I am happy to announce the following attendee’s that will be spending Labor Day week end on the island.

I will add names as we get closer……

Of course there is Iquad again this year; unfortunately this will be their last performance for awhile as they are going on Hiatus after AISF 2013. This could be your last chance to see them so do plan on attending. John, TK, Monkey, Bazzer, Steve and Willow, really looking forward to having you here and thanks for all you have done.

Ron Gibian will be with us again this year, Ron is a good friend of many years and always fun to have here.

Simon Crafts will be joining us again, a truly talented and original kite designer and maker.

Adrain Conn will be joining us for his first trip to the island, looking forward to his works of art gracing our island.

Ron Bohart will be on the island again this year, hardest working man on the island award winner two years in a row……

Spence Watson will be with us, not only a great ambassador for his generation but a gifted kite flyer as well.

Barry and Susan Tislow will be on the island for their first time, founding members of team Suspended Animation, they are bringing an assortment of giant show kites. They are also bringing Ed Paulson with them with his collections of kites.

Penny Lingenfelter will be on hand again this year; her kite related skits with the kids is always a big hit.

Kevin Reynolds and his dad will be here again, think this will be their 5th year with us.

Fred and Donna Taylor will be joining us for the first time, a fun couple to have around.

John and Diane Polluck will make the trip again this year, with John retired now; suspect we may see a new thing or two from him.

Jay Nunes and Kelly Mayhew with Kiting Tampabay will be making the trip to join us this year, along with Star and her mom and maybe some more of the Florida crew. A great group to hang out and fly with.

Nic O’Neal and Paul DeBarker will be here, Paul’s designs are well known and Nic is an up and coming kite maker, watch out for her….

Ben Huggett says he will be joining us too this year again, his self made kites were flying pretty much most of the time last year.

John and Lori Robinson will be here in the camper, Lori is a fantastic photographer and John is a supper nice guy.

Ronda Brewer and Lindsey Johnson will be running the kids kite making again this year, they were a major success last year and a big hit….

The Fosters from Cali will be camping out on the island this year, looking forward to having them here for sure.

I have heard that Corey Jensen, Scott Skinner, Rich Comras, Laura Berg and Scott W. will be attending too.

The locals who really help make all this come together will be there again this year, Bethanie, Jeff, Teri, Scott, Jesse, Brandon, LynneRae my loving wife, and some others.

A new element we introduced last year was the paramotor pilots, they will be back again to share the field and skies with us again.

As we get closer I will post up other confirmations I receive but it looks as if we may have a pretty sizable kite element this year. Camping is allowed on the field and there will be many out there, and of course KiteStock is the two days following the event. This is a true kite flier’s vacation event, no agendas, not real schedule, we show up, we fly, we have fun and relax. Looking forward to seeing everyone out there again.
  • Like 3

We have several large group camp sites located about 100 to 300 yards from the field, there is also camping right on the field too. If you are coming out to camp, It would be helpful that I know ahead of time, leave a message here for me, or facebook or my email is kevinbbayless @ comcast . net

It would also be helpful that I know you are coming, as far as registering, no I have not set anything up for that. This is a pretty casual gathering, we show up, we have fun, not a real schedule per say, there will be a few demos, IQuad, Penny, Spence and maybe some others, but for the most part everyone flies if they can or want to. I have found with every kite gathering I have been to that if people are able to fly, they fly and that results in a pretty nice show for the people all on it's own.

• Like 3

Yes, the flying field is very rough, I broke through a warn pair of sneekers the first year and ended up with bruised / blistered feet. The clumps of weed/grass is hard on your feet. Get a good pair of good soled shoes. It ain't a sandy beach for sure!

• 1 month later...
Well, just a bit over 2 1/2 months to go, really looking forward to this year. Just a couple updates for ya'll

First I am happy to announce that Bobby Stanfield will be joining us this year, Bobby has started making kites again and has not lost the touch.

Ken McNeill says he will be joining us on the island, really looking forward to meeting this man and seeing his kites as well.
I am sure there may be more kite folks that I don't know about coming this year too.

There is camping on the island and the hotels are about 15 minutes away.

Here is the link to the website with all kinds of pictures and info about this years event.

http://www.antelopeislandstampede.com/

we will be doing three indoor demos at local schools this year, always a favorite for everyone.

I would like to point out that there is really no schedule for the kite fliers for this event, no barriers around the field, no real rules to follow. this is a kite fliers vacation, come out, fly, have fun and enjoy live music all day into the night, BMX demos, kids kite making, tons of vendors with food, drinks and art, hot air balloons, paragliders flying all around with paramotors.

For two nights after the official event ends we stay out on the island for KiteStock, the first real cure for PFD, (post festival depression) we did this last year with about 20 people hanging out, was really, really a relaxing time for all and we had some of the most amazing night flying many had ever had.

Another reminder, this will be Iquads last performance before taking an extended break from the festival touring they have done for the past 6 or 7 years. Come out and show your support.

Looking forward to it, hope to see some of ya out there this year, it's going to be awesome.

If you have questions, feel free to email me at kevinbbaylessatcomcast.net.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, just around 6 weeks to go, that’s going to go by pretty fast.

A few random thoughts and details for ya’ll

I was talking with Jeff last night and we touched on the subject of safety during the event, mainly fire. I don’t think I need to remind everyone about the fire conditions on the island but I am going to anyway. Please folks be careful with fire,( there are no fires allowed on the island), smokes, BBQ’s etc….. We do not want any issues with this. Trash is always a good one too, let’s make sure we all pitch in and keep the island clean, while walking around, if you see it, pick it up and the animals thank you for this.

We will have some great entertainment this year, party bands on Friday and Sat night, and the Neal Diamond cover band on Sunday night, with lots of local bands thru the day and into the night. The concerts go til 10 pm Friday and Sat night this year.

We are still working out the details of passes this year, as some of you know this has been a problem in years past. For those who are camping out on the island you will need to pay the initial 10.00 state parks entrance fee when you get there, once set up we will have a pass for you. For those staying at a hotel, same for you too. Last year we had the state taking all the entrance money and cutting a check to the event. They do not want to do that anymore and we understand why, the logistics involved in keeping a gate are major. This year the entrance fee for the state and for the event are separate, basically for the event we now own White Rock Bay from where the road splits up all the way down to the lake edge. There will be a gate where the road splits and the fee for the event is 15.00 per car, again we are working on those details now and will have passes for the kite fliers. Some of you who have been out for this party know how the traffic can get backed up, so we are looking at trying to keep that to a min. Should have somethings worked out in the next two weeks.

With regards to the hotels for those who have been asking, we should have the name of the host hotel next week. Every year this is a challenge and is proving to be so again this year. Because the event is owned by the local CVB there are multiple objectives in the marketing and promotion of the event as a community affair. The tourism aspects of the event are one of the ways that we are able to get the support that we have and with there being like 20 or more different hotels in the area we need to spread the love if you know what I mean. With that I am happy to say that we are looking at having everyone in the same hotel, so for those of you who have been asking about where to book, if you have not booked anything yet, wait a bit, if you have booked a room, wait til we announce this info and then change your booking. I appreciate the fact that this has taken awhile to sort out and I thank you for your patience. It is important that we try to support the organizations that support this event, so when you do book your room make sure you say the words,” Antelope Island Stampede Festival” a lot…… ;)

For the campers, I would encourage you to plan your arrival on Thursday, I will be out on the island that day around noon to set up and if you want to camp on the field for the event that would be the time to be there. There will be no fee for camping on the island for the folks camped out on the field, but the official camp sites are the island are not free. For those who are interested in joining forces on the food front, send me a message for details. Last year we collected 25.00 from people to purchase food, water and Gatoraide for the event. If you would like to be a part of that this year, let me know soon. Especially if you plan on staying for KiteStock.

To my paragliding friends out there, so looking forward to having you on the island again this year, we had so much fun with you last year. We are truly lucky that some of the very best pilots in the world are locals who live and play here in Utah, all along the Wasatch Front. If you have any questions about what they do, just go ask them, they are happy to answer. I was planning on spending the day up at the North Side park on Weds the 28th with Ron and Adrian, Jynx is coming too, if anyone else is gonna be in town and want to come to, let me know, the more the merrier. While there you can learn more about what they do and also about the cause they support, http://savesteepmountain.org/

For my DOTA friends, I would like to propose that we dedicate random moments of extreme laughter and joy to each other’s groups as we will both be celebrating the wind at the same times on different playgrounds.

On Friday Night, thanks to the very kind and generous support of Varian Medical Systems, we are hosting the families of a local charity, Angel Hands Foundation. Here is their face book page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/136811295286/ and their website…..

http://angelshands.org/

These kids love the kites, so if you happen to be around some of them, hand em your kite for a minute or two and enjoy the smiles.

I have said this before and I am going to say it again, this is supposed to be fun and we really want the kite fliers, the balloonist, the paraglider pilots, the BMX dudes and everyone else attending this event to have a great time. For my part as the Kite organizer I don’t have any certain schedule, we have some demos set up, IQuad for starters, Spence, Paul, Penny and others, but other than that just come do what you do that makes you smile, let’s bring kiting to the people, share our love for what we do and show the people how much fun we have doing it. If you would like to do a demo, let me know…..

I am super excited about this year, hard to believe it’s my 5th year doing this and the support and involvement of my kiting brothers and sisters has blown me away. I cannot express enough how thankful I am for you all. My goal was to create a kite event in my back yard that would be the kind of festival I would want to be a part of, the fact that so many others of you want to be a part of the same thing has been one of the most gratifying experiences of my life.

Thank you…..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok here is a link to the sponsoring hotel this year

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/UT/Layton-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Layton-Park-Hotel/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=45085

there are about 10 to 12 hotels all right together in this area, the best western is the newest.....

Make sure you tell them where you are coming from and why you are coming,

We just added a Frisbee Golf element to the event at our meeting last night, maybe even a full 18 hole course set up........

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...