Writing on a sail.

Robtulloch

It can be done however I might suggest working with a sample of the material first and see what effect it has.

Ink running down the threads of the material is the main worry.

Going very lightly with the marker, and I mean very lightly, usually does the trick when the ink runs too much down the threads. You will have to go over it several times very lightly to make it look really good.

With luck you won't have to go to this extreme.

Now paint markers do work much better because the paint is thicker than the ink of something like what the call in the USA a Sharpie or felt tip marker.

• Like 1

Just to be defferent, you could (depending on the design) use some sort of insignia/dacron tape to cut out the design and stick it on the sail ;-)

Fogive me but is that the same as the tape you can use to repair a hole or tear in a sail? And can this be gotten from a kite shop?

Black sharpie, no problem. Other colors are somewhat water soluble. Esp blue. I colored in the white "revolution" on my kites. To my initial horror, when I tested a little water on it, the water turned blue. So I rinsed it well and folded kite up with a paper towel for the next few uses to see if it would continue to bleed. No problems. :)

Now what does Bazzer use to sign kites? Some metallic paint pen...

• 2 weeks later...
Black sharpie, no problem. Other colors are somewhat water soluble. Esp blue. I colored in the white "revolution" on my kites. To my initial horror, when I tested a little water on it, the water turned blue. So I rinsed it well and folded kite up with a paper towel for the next few uses to see if it would continue to bleed. No problems. :)

Now what does Bazzer use to sign kites? Some metallic paint pen...

Still looking for some of those "pixie dust" pens that Baz uses..

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Try "Pilot Gold and Silver Permanent Marker". You can find them on Amazon and other on-line shopping places.

Pentel and Sharpie also make similar "paint markers". There are also other less known companies that make them.

You can also find them in non-metallic colors such as white, black, blue, red, green and etc.

These are paint markers not ink markers thus do not run like ink.

Fogive me but is that the same as the tape you can use to repair a hole or tear in a sail? And can this be gotten from a kite shop?

Repair tape is generally "Tedlar" (like transparent ripstop tape), totally different animal than Insignia (completely opaque). ;)

• Like 1

Fogive me but is that the same as the tape you can use to repair a hole or tear in a sail? And can this be gotten from a kite shop?<br /> <br />Repair tape is generally "Tedlar" (like transparent ripstop tape), totally different animal than Insignia (completely opaque). ;)
<br />Cheers for that big fella. I'll get some shortly. <br /><br /><br />Tapatalk for iPhone.