lines binding-up when wet

REVflyer

I flew this past Sunday/weekend in heavy fog and a light rain (almost couldn't run the windshield wipers) on both 50# and 90# LPG. I found the lines would bind-up between the tops and bottoms on each side. Would an application of silicone prevent this?

It was kind of a hassle trying to keep the lines from binding, and neither set is high mileage (yet!)

Paul - did you mean the top and bottom lines would stick to each other on each side?? I've had this happen, but usually they separate during launch and flying!! Does make it hard during original setup, can't always tell which way to twist the lines, if they are!! I usually make 1 more trip, up and down, to make sure I have the handles oriented correctly when the conditions are wet!!!!

We do have this problem in the UK. It is rare and normally occurs Autumn/winter when there is heavy dew or rain. Normally cleaning the lines with a good line cleaner will reduce this but not eliminate it. Careful line wrapping unwrapping during setup and packing away will also help.

We have had this problem from time to time, usually in light rain or in fog conditions. If the lines are older, showing some wear, it is not uncommon. A few weeks ago there were four of us flying near San Diego in wet air. At one point several of us had that problem to the point that the kites were uncontrollable.

Wow, I am surprised to hear this from you, with all your experience, that you are even stumped by this.

I am thinking that there might be something(maybe some pollution) in the air along with the dampness that is causing this.

I do believe you have the right assumption in that using silicon spray might do the trick.

I do know that some people recommend sewers aid(sp) to make line slippery. I have never tried nor seen it used.

We have had this problem from time to time, usually in light rain or in fog conditions. If the lines are older, showing some wear, it is not uncommon. A few weeks ago there were four of us flying near San Diego in wet air. At one point several of us had that problem to the point that the kites were uncontrollable.

I am sure that someone who knows the physics would be able to explain how much loading the water 'surface tension' can apply to very wet lines. I ran a set out two weekends ago, as I recall, on dew saturated grass. The usual pull against the ground anchor did not resolve the 'no actual twists' scenario. There we no actual twists when I finally manually seperated the lines just a complete loss of movement along the length of the line. The lines were not brand new but nor would I describe them as 'showing some wear'; that comes with ten year old lines <grins>

In misty conditions with light wind I have often seen slack lines spin and bind. I guess it comes with UK weather conditions!

Going into a wrap with other fliers can be the point at which the lines are pinched together and the problem arises especially if a large number of fliers are involved. Once the lines are locked getting the kites to the ground is basically the only solution and may be effected by the whole group moving/running downwind as quickly as possible.

Felix

I had no problem with setting-up. I wind onto the handles and use a stake under tension as the point away from unwinding. I set-up with the handles separated and far enough apart that all the problems go right to the stake. I flew without incident for quite some time. but every once in awhile the lines on each side would bind up. Darn things started to make me angry so i figured I check with the community on a solution.

Thanks gang!

I had no problem with setting-up. I wind onto the handles and use a stake under tension as the point away from unwinding. I set-up with the handles separated and far enough apart that all the problems go right to the stake. I flew without incident for quite some time. but every once in awhile the lines on each side would bind up. Darn things started to make me angry so i figured I check with the community on a solution.

Thanks gang!

I have often seen same side binding where the 'heavy wet lines' cross and then spin together. The water surface tension kicks in and the lines will not move along side each other. While 'in flight' it is impossible to resolve in light winds. In higher breezes a sharp pull will likely spread the lines and resolve the issue.

• Like 1

Going into a wrap with other fliers can be the point at which the lines are pinched together and the problem arises especially if a large number of fliers are involved. Once the lines are locked getting the kites to the ground is basically the only solution and may be effected by the whole group moving/running downwind as quickly as possible.

Felix

We were flying with Carol and Cass Pittman and all four became "spectators". The crazy thing was, the sun was out, and it wasn't very wet. However, we all four had older line sets.

Fortunately, Lynn is very good at getting kites straightened out after the mass round and round and round and round, etc, etc, etc.

No harm, just a good laugh.

• 5 weeks later...

We deal with this problem on iQuad as well...

We do try to keep our lines clean, and be really quick with applying hard tension to all four lines simultaniously when you experience line-lock.

The movement is generally slightly down and past the hips, at the moment you untwist, to separate everything.

Frozen lines often happens when the lines are kept indoors in a warm and damper air. You take them out of you kite bag on the kite field when it -5 C or below. You wind them out hook them to the REV and the handles and they are frozen together.

The easiest way to prevent from happening this is to store your lines outside, somewhere safe, in the colder temperatures.