next REV'

flolf

Hi guys !

I'm new on the forum and I already know I will spend time on  it !!! At last a Revolution forum  :D

I've been flying in France for several years with an EXP and now I'd like to increase precision skills. But which kite do you advise me, the 1.5SLE or the I ?

That's for a wide range of wind, from almost nothing to 25mph.

Unless I choose a vented Sedgwick, with ultralight rods for low wind conditions.

AAArgh  :?:

Please, help  :?

Flo

The Rev 1 (in my opinion) is the best precision training tool available... Specifically, the Sedgwick Series with a 2, 3 or 4 wrap leading edge (depending on the wind).

The larger kite takes larger, more [sail]filling movements... Crisp flight comes with intent.

The SLE rod is good for initial learning, and for high end winds... But to get the maximum input out of a Rev it has to be bowed slightly, a little flexibility in the leading edge.

However, that being said... Once you attain master skills, a vented 1.5 with a 2 wrap frame... In 8 mph... Ohhhhh... Now that is like a scalpel in a surgeon's hand. ;)

Thanks for the advice. My choice is done ! It will be a Rev I, vented.

A question about the bridle. Is that the same as the EXP ?

Because some people talk about modifications to make Revo more responsive...

:)

If you're up for it, get the vented Sedgwick Rev 1... I much prefer it to the vented in the main graphics.

But again, this effects your wind range... A vented 1 with an SUL frame still won't fly in under 4 mph very easily.

I think some good question(s) would be:

1. What is you most common windspeed locally?

2. Do you generally prefer light or high wind flying?

The winds are between 8 and 10mph the whole year, but it regurlarly happens that it blows much more.

There is no way to close the ventilations on the kite, like for deltas ?

I like every winds ! That's always a new challenge  :wink:

The Rev 1 (in my opinion) is the best precision training tool available... Specifically, the Sedgwick Series with a 2, 3 or 4 wrap leading edge (depending on the wind).

You'll be pleased to hear I introduced Egan to the joys of the 1, we demoed as pairs all day on a pair of sedgewicks, 3 wr. leading edged.

He's hooked even harder now.

Bon Jour mes amis.

I anteresting way of venting an existing kite (if you're brave enough) is to take a large soldering iron (16mm or so) an make a series of holes in it across the whole sail.  Leave a gap of 5mm between each hole for sail strength.  (If you're not confident try burning half the holes first and then if this is not sufficient, complete the others)

This is very effective as you do not need to do any sewing and also it does not add weight to the sail.  This means that the kite is still very light and will fly in lower winds than a normal version.

Bon courage!

:wink:

The only picture I have is of the "test" we made. We are proud to be supported by Rev and fly all their kites until it hits 30mph+ then we have to fly these. If Rev were to make a kite for these strong European winds then that would be great, but I am not sure what sort of market there would be. So far we have not got around to putting wholes in a brand new vented 1.5 but that will be the next step. On a visual side, the venting gives the kite a pastel look and so using a kite with bold colours in the first place is the best option.

I think I have attached a photo which should help give an idea of what can be done. This type of venting with an SLE spar will give good control well past 30 pmh.

post-2-1170973061_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

It certainly takes a long time to make the holes and unless you are a chain smoking cigar addict the best tool to use is a soldering iron with a 16mm bit.  Also do it outside because the fumes are not good.

We made a cardboard template first and drew dots on the sail so that we could have the same pattern on all the team kites.  I think this is still a good way of doing it even if you are only doing 1 kite.

Let me know if you need any further info.