Greetings from Belgium

Yaksier69

Hi all,

I'm Xavier from Antwerp, Belgium.

I saw someone flying a Revolution some time ago and was amazed by what I saw. I needed that kite!

As I have no experience at all with 4 lines kites I purchased an EXP two days ago (drove especially to a shop in The Netherlands to get it !),

please confirm that I made a good choice! Going through the forum I have the impression I will get bored quickly by "only" flying an EXP?

I hope this is really what is needed for a rookie and that it will give me hours and hours of excitement ...

Can't wait to try it out (waiting for the wind in fact ...)

It would be a pleasure to meet the other Belgian members!

Greetings from Belgium

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I think you made a good choice. The EXP is the same size and shape as the standard 1.5, so the flying experience will be very similar to what you would get with a standard 1.5. The biggest differences are in the materials used and the panels in the construction of the kite. However, for a beginner, the flight characteristics will be similar. I've been flying revs for about 2 1/2 years, and still fly my EXP frequently as it is one of my primary "full sail" kites. I'd love to have a B-Pro because the construction on those custom kites is very, very nice, but I still get lots and lots of enjoyment from my EXP.

Like any sport, you can certainly buy higher end equipment, but until you reach a certain skill level, you won't be able to appreciate the subtle differences in a higher end kite. Tuning the flight characteristics by adding "brake" to the leaders on the handles will make a bigger difference to your flying now than whether you are flying an EXP, a standard 1.5, B-series, or Pro. There are some threads on the forum about tuning the handle leaders - it's very easy to add some longer, adjustable leaders to your existing handles. Also, IMHO, at this point in your flying, different kites for different wind conditions (i.e. a vented kite for higher winds) will have a bigger impact on your experience than whether your "full sail" is a standard or an EXP. Careful though, flying revs is very addictive . . . and you'll probably end up with more than one kite. I did . . . and I can't really talk about it . . . because then I'd have to admit that I have a problem ;-)

Learning and flying time will make a bigger difference right now than which Revolution kite you buy. Watch the videos, go out and fly so that you get some practice, and you'll find the EXP to be perfectly enjoyable. Don't get frustrated by the learning experience - and connect with some experienced fliers (even if you have to go to the Netherlands) to learn from them. If you are like me though, once you start flying, you'll probably want to start saving for your next kite now, because you are going to end up with some more revs ;-)

Hi Xavier,

Welcome to the forum!

There are at least 2 forum members in your neighborhood.

Your EXP is an excellent choice. I started with an EXP.

After 1,5 year I already have 3 x JB 1.5 and another 2 x revopolo's in the making but still fly the EXP once in a while.

So goestoeleven ( sounds dutch .... het goede leven;-) warning is to be taken seriously!

Start saving some money for your next Rev.

I will be in Cadzand around carnaval. Hopefully with the revopolo's so I can make a 5 stack.

Stacking for me is even more addictive.

regards

andré stikkers

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Xavier

We have flown our EXPs for years. We fly 1.5s, Masterpiece Patriotic 1.5s, and "B" Pros, but when it comes to knocking around on the beach for hours at a time, out come the EXPs. I have no idea how many hours on those kites, but you can bet it's in the thousands.

By the way, we have traveled extensively, and Brugge is our favorite place. We love it after the first of May when the canals are lighted.

Enjoy your Rev.

Hi Xavier,

Welcome in the wonderfull world of 4 lines, any wind, any place.

There are Belgium pilots, quite near Antwerp. And just over the border in Brabant you will find more pilots. Tip this forum is a very good place and for Belgium and Holland you may find www.vliegerwereld.nl usefull to find contacts.

We meet sometimes in Dongen (holland) on a reasonable distance from your place. So if you want to try other Revs...... Be welcome.

And an Exp is a good choice any Rev is a good choice, but they are so @&€#%$$£¥ (censored) addictive.....

• Like 1

Like Ben and others have said - great beginnings!! Not only will you learn on it, but after you move on to other kites, it will make a great teaching kite, too! Everyone starts equal here, some have just pushed the limits more than others!!

3 tips:

1. - Add leaders to your handles for adjusting to different wind conditions! You'll see threads on this topic with pix to show what is meant!!

2. - Check your lines and make sure they are all equal!! A long or short line makes the kite fly in a direction that you don't control!! Equalizing the lines gives you that control back!!

3. - Try to go out in at least 5 mph or better winds! A good breeze will make it so much easier to keep aloft and learn, not fighting to stay in the air!! Get a little time on the lines and then those light wind days will be a lot easier to manage!! And let me add this - if you're gonna crash, do not pull on the lines - Give to the kite!! Let it crash, but moving forward will take all the energy out it and you should survive with no broken parts! Pulling just drives the kite harder into the ground, making breakage more likely!!

Enjoy, learn, and don't forget to BREATHE!! We'll be looking for pix that show the smile you can't get rid of after flying one!! ani_victory.gif

@ goestoeleven : already started saving certainly when I saw Bazzer Poulter's 1.5 with orange eyeskid_loved.gif

@ aai : I often go to Cadzand, maybe we will meet there during carnaval holidays

@ Jim : Brugge is indeed a beautifull city!

@ Dutchrev : Dongen is indeed not far away at all (went to Breda to buy my EXP, I will therefore certainly be able to go to Dongen ...) if you can keep me informed about any special gathering that would be great

@ stroke survivor : thanks for the useful tips, guess I will need the crash tipsblue_blush.gif

@ the others :

Thank you all for the comments!

Feeling better and by only looking at my EXP I know it will be a fantastic experience.

I'll keep you posted once the wind allows me to fly out for the first timeani_punk.gif

<snip>

I'll keep you posted once the wind allows me to fly out for the first time

Hi Xavier,

When you do get to fly for the first time when 'the wind allows' please be very careful to understand that although your flight may not be entirely successful it may be very important to remember every aspect of the experience.

I remember my first attempts and they were not very successful but the experience will always stay with me as the first step to understanding 'how to fly the kite'!

I had previously worked with single line fighter kites so was in some way prepared to deal with the four line kite...

Felix

• 2 months later...

Nice to see another Belgian guy close to me.

I have no Idea where in Antwerp you live. But the closest useable field in youre neiberhood will be park Middenvijver on the left shore.

Sometimes I fly there aswel.

greetings.

Hi Kristof,

I know the place, any idea if they will organize the kite festival there again in 2013?

Would be nice to meet you there.

I was already very happy to meet André on the beach in Cadzand and this thanks to the forum!

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

Anything by Revolution is great. Even though I have several Revs I still plan to add the EXP next time I see one in a kite store that has it available. I like to buy from dedicated kite stores if at all possible to support them a bit. I know that many people only see kites a few times a year & maybe only at a kite store. I hope my buying from them encourages them to have a few higher priced kites in their inventory. Many people would consider the EXP pricey, including me until recently. Hope you enjoy it. Wear it out!