Mega Team 100 animation - WSKIF 2013

johnnmitchell

I will be starting shortly some simple animations for use at WSKIF 2013.

I have WSKIF in my plans for the first time and am looking forward to being there.

I previously created the Super 16 Flash animation of which I worked very close with Felix in creating.

You may find this animation on my Web Site at: http://johnnmitchell.com/Animation/www_super16/index.html

The new animation that I will be creating will NOT be created with "Adobe Flash". Instead, I will be using "Adobe Edge Animate" to create the animation. There is zero Flash involved.

"Adobe Edge Animate" creates animation using HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript, thus for you Apple users that have terrible problems with Flash, you should have zero problems with the new animation when you update your browsers.

Now if you would like to see something I created with the "Adobe Edge Preview", not the release version, look at this URL: http://johnnmitchell.com/Animation/RevUSAflag/USA-Flag-3x5.html

What you see in the preview version should be very close if not identical to what the "Adobe Edge Animate" creates.

I expect sometime next month I will actually be able to dedicate time to creating the new animation, so don't be expecting much of anything before then.

JM

• Like 2

Good stuff John!

At some point, we might want to release an animation with the very most basic commands embedded appropriately so folks can get familiar...

"Up turn 180"

"Odd rows, face left"

"Odd columns rise"

And so on, just the essential "get around" terms for familiarity.

What do you guys think?

In retrospect, I imagine much of that will be covered in the "mini-routine" we end up putting together for the 100.

We're good, carry on! lol smile.png

John

I think the vast majority of fliers attending will know the basic stuff, and the first couple days of the week should provide ample opportunity for others to get up to speed, much as in 2010. The only issue should be those who are new and not there during that time.

The other thing, of course, is the logistics of getting all 100 off the ground and back down. In the air may not be much of a problem.

What do you think?

John

<snip>

The other thing, of course, is the logistics of getting all 100 off the ground and back down. In the air may not be much of a problem.

What do you think?

Hi Jim and John,

I think that we might need to take a bit of a radical line on the launch and exit. We had some previous discussion about including the launch and exit as part of the routine. I think we should consider extending that to winding out the lines, launching, doing the routine, landing, winding in the lines and exiting the field.

I know that this will impinge on some fliers more than others but please can we look at the logistics.

If the first 5x5 fliers stage in, wind out and launch to their allocated position/quadrant how long does it take? As Jim mentions, once the kites are in the sky it becomes easier.

Focusing on the practical requirements seems to me to be the way to go given that space is going to be a main constraint. Mobility on the ground appears to be the one key area to address this as well as getting the grid to close ranks.

Felix

• Like 1

5x5 entry/exit is an interesting proposal, we could try to do some dry runs at events between now and WSIKF, as well as some drills early in the week... I understand the need for something like this, and it sounds very doable.

Basically, we'd set up the 10x10 in quarters... Top right 25 might go up first, top left 25 next, bottom right 25, and finally the bottom left 25.

As long as we have 1/2 dozen or more non-flying runners/helpers on the ground, seems to me it would likely take an average of 4-8 minutes to get each pack of 25 into the air barring any major complications... One hurdle to mindful of, this also means the first 25 will be holding it together for about 15-20 minutes while everyone else gets into position.

Sorry, mostly thinking out loud... Would love to hear more feedback on this.

• Like 1

5x5 entry/exit is an interesting proposal, we could try to do some dry runs at events between now and WSIKF, as well as some drills early in the week... I understand the need for something like this, and it sounds very doable.

Basically, we'd set up the 10x10 in quarters... Top right 25 might go up first, top left 25 next, bottom right 25, and finally the bottom left 25.

As long as we have 1/2 dozen or more non-flying runners/helpers on the ground, seems to me it would likely take an average of 4-8 minutes to get each pack of 25 into the air barring any major complications... One hurdle to mindful of, this also means the first 25 will be holding it together for about 15-20 minutes while everyone else gets into position.

My anxiety at 2010 WSIKF was that the kites needed to be set directly downwind from the fliers so that there should not have been issues at the launch. I ran about a lot... ;-)

I think that we should aim to run lines out and launch 25 kites in 5 minutes. 'Step up to the mark, stake the handles, walk forward in parallel', you know what I mean! On that basis the first fliers up should be the most experienced and therefore expected to be able to hold it together in the air.

It follows that they should also let the less experienced fliers land and clear first.

I'm wondering about prevailing windspeed but I suspect that it may be best to have the most experienced fliers at the top of the wind window anyway.

Felix

• Like 1

Personally I feel that the top 50 hanging out for 5-10-15 minutes is unrealistic even for experienced people. That is an endless amount of time to hover in a grid. Maybe they need to be performing something in that time frame that morphs into a larger and larger display as the quads come in.

Bart

Personally I feel that the top 50 hanging out for 5-10-15 minutes is unrealistic even for experienced people. That is an endless amount of time to hover in a grid. Maybe they need to be performing something in that time frame that morphs into a larger and larger display as the quads come in.

Bart

The 'Super 16' principle comes into effect obviously. Fly short horizontal passes left to right, right to left for the duration. Hanging the hover is a waste of effort as you rightly suggest.

Felix

Yes, exactly. Keep 'em busy. Easier on the body. I'd change it up as many times as possible in that 5 minute block as well. I might go so far as to suggest the first group "perform" dead centre in that 5 minutes before clearing the stage for group two to join and so on.

From a visual standpoiint bringing in four groups of 25 will never look as smooth as rows going up because it will be more building block into corners. Combat that with using as much sky space as possible with each group going up with corners "shrinking" in as the sky becomes full. IE, group one performs as required. When group two is ready to launch group one forms up their quad in a top grid position wiating on group two to form their grid. At that point they perform as 25 in whatever logical fashion is dreamt up until group three is ready. Etc. Hard to properly put into writing what I'm getting at. Hope it makes some sense!

Bart

Yes, exactly. Keep 'em busy. Easier on the body. I'd change it up as many times as possible in that 5 minute block as well. I might go so far as to suggest the first group "perform" dead centre in that 5 minutes before clearing the stage for group two to join and so on.

From a visual standpoiint bringing in four groups of 25 will never look as smooth as rows going up because it will be more building block into corners. Combat that with using as much sky space as possible with each group going up with corners "shrinking" in as the sky becomes full. IE, group one performs as required. When group two is ready to launch group one forms up their quad in a top grid position wiating on group two to form their grid. At that point they perform as 25 in whatever logical fashion is dreamt up until group three is ready. Etc. Hard to properly put into writing what I'm getting at. Hope it makes some sense!

Bart

Bart,

This all makes sense. From the 'laying out of the lines' (careful emphasis there <grins>) it is a performance and should be construed as such. We just have work out the choreographical framework ahead of the event and make sure that everyone is clued in. Think of the possibillity running 4 rows of 25 in sequence, left to right, so the first flier on the left launches as flier number 26 walks the lines out from the same starting point. The queue is only 4 fliers deep. The first 25 kites in the air have to reach a certain 'place' in the sky and on the ground. I have already suggested that we should concentrate on mobility, walk the grid as we fly it, literally! Fly right and walk right at the 'same' speed so we never reach the edge of the wind window... :-)

We can do all this so easily, with a little application, given what we have done so far.

Felix

PS At Berck-Plage the field director (lovely lady) is scathing about any delay on the get-in for a team. 'Staging in' is a luxury one step too far if space is not available. FJM

So... Also thinking out loud as elsewhere. We line up 25 across the window and 4 deep on the ground. The first 25 run out their lines launch and step back past the other three fliers in line. Next set follow and so on. We then have a grid 25 across and 4 deep. All we need to do is figure out how to best transform this into the 10 x 10 grid <grins>

Felix

Considering there is enough room;

What I am thinking is to have the 4 groups of 25, side by side.

They all launch at the same time.

The inner two groups(B-C) move back and the outer two groups(A-D) move in below the inner groups(B-C).

A-B-C-D

A-----D

--B-C--

--A-D--

--B-C--

JM

Considering there is enough room;

What I am thinking is to have the 4 groups of 25, side by side.

They all launch at the same time.

The inner two groups(B-C) move back and the outer two groups(A-D) move in below the inner groups(B-C).

A-B-C-D

A-----D

--B-C--

--A-D--

--B-C--

JM

I do not think that there would be room so going back to the 4x25 configuration I suggest arcing up at the five points and taking up appropriate ground positions. This could be done consecutively once the four lines are in the air and can be descriptive 'top line arc to grid' (around left points of five maybe) rather than coded. The launch pattern in 2010 worked along these lines as I recall from a ground start.

Been away from the thread for a while . . . .

What if we use two fields to muster instead of just the one performance field? Launch fifty on each field, and then have the fliers on the second field walk backwards to join the first fifty on the performance field. I know it goes against competition rules to walk onto the field with your kite in the air, but this isn't a competition. Then there's less total unwinding and winding time required as twice as many fliers can be launching in twice the space, and many can stage their kites with lines unwound on the second field. As long as the ropes between the fields can be (temporarily) lowered, and as long as the fliers can walk backwards with their kite in the air, this would double the space available for launching. In 2011, rev fliers pretty much took over two of the fields anyway, IIRC. As long as there is no scheduled competition or other event on the second field, I'd think this should be possible.

I think that the fundamental issue is to get the groups configured and then to get them moving on the ground while maintaining the configuration. Quite how the numbers get sliced is probaly secondary but a graphical illustration so everyone could understand the overall picture would be great.

100 kites wide is a very long line. In 2010 we did 2 lines of 32, initially arcing up to columns of 4.

We should have approximately the same field size in 2013 as we had in 2010, and the ability to drop the south field boundaries for special (larger) efforts... As I recall, 32 kites across was just about maxing the width of our field when we were on the ground, not sure we can even do two rows of 50 - I'm all for making sub-groups as we're discussing here, just not 100% sure which is the best way yet.

• 3 months later...

Now I am getting going on this project.

The animations are using "Adobe Edge Animate" which make use of HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript.
FLASH is Not used.
These animation should work well on any up to date Web Browser.
Some early drafts of this animation may be seen at:
START - http://johnnmitchell.com/grid100/start
Horizontal Thread - http://johnnmitchell.com/grid100/horiz3/
Vertical Thread - http://johnnmitchell.com/grid100/vert2/
Please note the shown start probably will not be used. We are working on an easier start where probably 4 groups start separately and then assemble in a 10x10 grid.
It is noted that the animations do function properly on:
iPhone
IPad
PC with Google Chrome 26.0
PC with Firefox 20.0
PC with Internet Explorer 10

Firefox for Android

• Like 1