Just in time for the Holidays!

Theresa

Even at 600mm it can be a little tall for some hand luggage.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

I fully agree when it comes to "hand" luggage.

You could do as Mark Lummas did when he inspired the idea of shorter travel 1.5 rods several years ago. He took a set of rods and cut them in half with a high grade extremely fine saw. Then he added inner ferrules to every other rod.

I fully agree when it comes to "hand" luggage.

You could do as Mark Lummas did when he inspired the idea of shorter travel 1.5 rods several years ago. He took a set of rods and cut them in half with a high grade extremely fine saw. Then he added inner ferrules to every other rod.

I am going to do just that, right after I get a new frame. Just incase. I'll start with the 2 wrap.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

It is very important to use a the proper saw.

Using something like a simple every day hacksaw could damage the ends in such a way that the rod could split length wise.

The thing is you probably would not see these cracks. But you will later, when the rod fails.

I have heard that some of the guys use a high speed rotary saw such as a "Dremel" type.

Good Luck!

And it's a good idea to tape the area you're going to cut before the actual cutting.

I've used the Dremmel method to cut about 3/8 of an inch off a SLE spar for a Blast and I've flown it many times since under power with no ill effects.

So, if I cut up a 2 wrap and use hollow ferrules, that should give stiffness of a 3 wrap?

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Here's my weak response to your concern.

personally?, I'd refrain from using hollow ferules ( if given a choice), I actually prefer them to be solid & four inches in overall length also!

Stiffness is both personally experienced and measurable scientifically. My experience with travel frames says "it goes two positions stiffer" if it is cut down to half the standard length. I did no physical science testing, but I have played around with lots of brands and hybrids over the years.

so now you only need to chart YOUR available frames. My lightest weight and most flexible frame-set on upwards to the heaviest/stiffest

~ a P-90 leading edge and either 2 wrap tapered down spars or a tapered tube called "response 12" from SS

~ Zen frame

~ 2 wrap (professional)

~ Race Frame

~ 3 wrap (ultra light)

~ P-400 skyshark

~ green race frame

~ 4 wrap (stiff)

~ 6 wrap (very rare, mine were cut down from a Beautiful Evil kite)

~ SLE tubes (ultra light ~ 3 wraps, much bigger diameter 7/16ths instead of a 1/4 inch)

~ SLE (heavy,... i think they're 4 wraps)

It should also be noted that there are frame members available that are only for dedicated indoor kites, those are not included above.