Remove wrinkles from sail

Hightray

Question

I wanted to know If there is a safe method to remove wrinkes from a 1.5SLE and a vented B2. I am not familiar with the material. Seems like it would scorch easily or melt. So I am wondering if there is a tried and true method to smooth it out. It has creases at the fold points when I put it in the bag as well as general wrinkles.

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

All great points, thank you. Just feeling the material told me that it would be very finicky. So I erred on the side of caution and asked you guys. A good point that I foolishly forgot was the fact when I put it away it will start all over again. The main wrinkles that bother me are the lines forming when the kite is folded. That edge is strongly wrinkled. Maybe I am too much of a baby. Ha ha.

I have seen those steam machines you hold in your hand where they are supposed to take wrinkles out of delicates like silk. But as was mentioned, with normal put away it will not last long. So I think I am being too stuffy with my kite. I love them so!!! :D

Thank you guys.

Hot shower and dry works good...

Best solution..

Fly the wrinkles out !!!! :kid_smartass:src="http://www.revkites.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/kid_smartass.gif">

Another advantage...you won't see the wrinkles at a distance. :blue-cool:src="http://www.revkites.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/blue_cool.gif">

Does it matter if the sail is wrinkled or is it just for looks

Nothing the matter with nitpicking and pampering our bits of flying cloth at all... I have some Revs from the mid nineties and they are fine...mesh and all....

What can be done is to not roll/fold the kite up too tightly, and when in the bag fluff it up a bit...although there have been a few smallish rev bags lately...hmmm.. And fold the kite over in different places every time...this especially for the LE mesh.

bt

I suppose if you really want to keep it completely free of wrinkles and extend the life of the mesh, you can completely remove the frame from the kite after each session and roll the sail over the frame starting at one end and rolling towards the other, offsetting the leading edge pocket a bit, so it doesn't get really thick where it overlaps itself.

I suppose if you really want to keep it completely free of wrinkles and extend the life of the mesh, you can completely remove the frame from the kite after each session and roll the sail over the frame starting at one end and rolling towards the other, offsetting the leading edge pocket a bit, so it doesn't get really thick where it overlaps itself.

Well there ya go....this is the way of packing up the kite(s) I've used since day 1... This came about by assembling the kite though....I find it way easier to assemble the LE outside of the kite and just slide it through the kites LE rather than trying to fit the LE together inside the kites LE. Less wear and tear on the inside of the kites LE as well...just be gentle.

Never liked leaving the LE in the kite while packed up. It's pretty easy to remove the LE....just as in changing frames on the fly.....

I fold the kite in half longways with the bridle on the inside of the folded kite .....and vary where it's folded. Place the broken down frame along the edge of the kite just under the upper end caps and roll up the kite toward the bottom end caps....not too tightly. There's always going to be wrinkles due to the nature of packing up but I find my sails and mesh(s) have lasted for years...some since the mid '90's.

I have also noticed the newer sails seem to wrinkle/crease more because of the "crispness" of the newer sail cloth. The old pre icarex sails are more soft and don't crease as much despite their age. However it's a moot point because the wrinkle will get flown out...

bt

I also have a Rev from the '90s, and have put it away in the usual fashion, just break down the LE, leave it in, but I do fold over the mesh before rolling the rest of the kite!! After all these years has just 2 very small mesh tears and still flies like a champ!! Hard to get fold marks if flown regularly!! kid_devlish.gif Just take care of them - they'll last a very long time with proper use and storage!! kid_smartass.gif