Showcasing Revs flying solo

kwmf

Hi all

I've got an even coming up soon and I thought I might crowd-source some ideas on how best to showcase Revs when it's just a single pilot (me). For the sake of the exercise assume that I have any equipment or skills needed for your idea - just be sure to note any special requirement (tails, catch and throw skills, etc).

I don't know what space I will have, how I will be placed relative to the crowd, etc ... but I doubt I will be able to use any lines longer than 50' for the flying. Opportunity may present for more space, but I fully expect to be on either my 30' or 50' lines.

I have ideas, but none of us is as smart as all of us, so I'd like to hear other peoples ideas and experiences.

Stack up some kites, either all 1.5's, 2's or 1's, or a Prog Stack. Doing a "routine" with a stack is always a crowd winner!

True that. A stack is easy to pick out of a crowd!

Another thing is playing with the people. You've gotta be really careful about this, but the crowd usually loves it. Pick out the happy looking people, and the children, and mess around with them. Don't bother with the grumpy ones. Again, be very careful about this, and don't do anything unless you know you can do it 99.9999% of the time.

and don't do anything unless you know you can do it 99.9999% of the time.

Amen to that ....

You know I'm particularly partial to short lines and playing with people ... but this is the golden rule that guides how one does this. Thanks for pointing out how to pick people, I was probably doing this but now I'll be more aware of it.

I've asked T to include line for stacking in my order - going to do a B2 vent, mid, std stack if the situation allows.B)

Any other ideas?

Kids love it if you just make the kite walk across the ground, or balancing it on a light pole/fence post, that is always entertaining too. You move up to a kid's hand outstretched from a stroller, or a moving tram car's roof as you become more daring.

Dive/stop or the throw & catch are also fascinating features only Revs do well, roll-up landing and unroll launch seem impossible, falling leaf, axels, flick-flak all take some room to move, both you and/or the kite, so be extra careful doing these higher risk tricks.

You could hold up a stick/driveway marker with a ping-pong ball (drilled-out and mounted on top), then look for little kids to "help" by holding it stationary while you knock-off the balls. Or pop balloons with a safety pin affix to the leading edge. Blow them up really big or the pin won't rupture 'em. This is tougher than it sounds as the balloon moves all over the place while your stabbing at it. Place dollar store toy inside the balloon so the kid gets a prize.

We've buried two Barbie dolls waist deep into the sand,... "Oh, please save us mister kite flyer sir!"

One is kinda' trampy, (she has no pants or skirt on!), the other is the good girl, deserving of your rescue efforts. You "fish out" one of the Barbies and save her into a life preserver over on the sidelines. (this is more fun as a timed event against your peers) Only the good Barbie counts though,... nobody saves a tramp and then expects credit for it. We place a re-bent metal coat hanger around their waists, so you had something to snag with a bridle line. This is really fun at a wine festival, everyone's laughter is so infectious, a little fermented grape juice never hurts either!

You can play "tag",... you get 3 points for each kid you touch and the kids get 1 point every time they touch the kite. You need to determine a STOP signal that everyone agrees to first, just in case something happens before you commence chasing actions.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

A little tip I received from a team over here in the UK

If you are popping balloons, put some baking flour in before inflating them, when they burst you get a much better visual

impression of an explosion that the spectators can clearly see !

big_blowup.gif

Bill

You might try some parafauna. Small dolls/teddies with parachutes that you attach to the leading edge and launch at the top of the window. Or even small sweets.

You are only using the Rev as a launcher but kids love chasing after things in the air.

Cheers

Stephen

Yes I have been invited again this year, but my focus is a little different - http://www.facebook.com/TeamAeroShark

Thats not to say there won't be lots of solo work on display again ;)

If you missed it, here's the sit-rep from last year - http://www.kitelife.com/events/2012-cape-town-international-kite-festival/