Revolution 25th Anniversary - 100 strong at WSIKF! (Aug 19-24, 2013)

KiteLife

So you're coming to WSIKF...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What days will you be attending?

• August 18, Sunday
    • August 19, Monday
    • August 20, Tuesday
    • August 21, Wednesday
    • August 22, Thursday
    • August 23, Friday
    • August 24, Saturday
    • August 25, Sunday
  2. 2. Have you ever flown grid format before?

• Yes, in group of 36 kites (6x6) or less.
    • Yes, in group of more than 36 kites.
    • No, never flown grid but I can't wait!

John Barresi and I have been working on animations for the WSIKF Grid 100 later this month. These animation DO NOT use Flash which means they will function on MAC, iPhone, iPad and most other mobile devices including Amazon Kindle Fire.

The initial set of animations are now available at:

http://www.johnnmitchell.com/Animation/grid100/index.html

I do know it we will have the time to add to this before WSKIF 2013.

You will need JavaScript enabled in your internet browser, which it usually is by default and you will need a later up to date browser of which almost all can handle HTML5 to some extent.

• Like 2

Very nice work. It was a bit large to fit on my monitor, but I could get a sense for how the super grid will work with 100. I have flown the grid before, so I'm glad for the refresher.

A thought for the rehearsals and attempt. The leaders/captains of each column should put some thought into the skill levels of the various flyers in their column and think about position of each flyer in the grid, especially for the concentric rings and where each flyer will end up in the ring. Experienced flyers will probably not have a problem hovering in "unusual" attitudes or positions in the window, but there are some positions that may be challenging or outside the normal experience. In particular, I'm thinking about the position of a hover in the ring and the position of the flyer relative to the wind window. Here's what's going through my head. Let's say you are OK with flying the upper left corner of a ring, which puts your kite into the upper left side of the wind window, while hovering left wing low, right wing high if you are facing out. In the 100 grid, if your column is on the far left and you are at the upper left corner, then you'll still be required to hover left wing low, right wing high - but now it will be hovering high on the right side of your wind window, which is a somewhat unusual position in normal group flying if you were in a ring. Perhaps minor, but when thinking about each column, I think the captains (and each pilot) need to make sure each flyer is in the right position for both "normal" and unusual situations for their abilities and the wind window.

My two cents. Worth what you paid for it. I'm probably over-thinking this thing. Be better once I'm out there flying. Hope the porta-potties are closer this year. My best piece of advice to first timers - go to the porta potties before the rehearsals and/or attempts start . . . . other than that, relax and have fun!

P.S. - If you are newer, and only have time to learn one thing, learn to hover well vertically (facing both left and right). I find it's generally an easier position to hold for newer flyers in varying wind conditions than either right side up or upside down. Plus, with the big grid, left and right threads are common, and there are positions for you to fly (even in the rings) that will only have a vertical hover, so we'll find a spot for you. I was you in 2011 - less than one year flying at that point, and I joined the grid (not that I'm that much better now). John even made fun of me for not going to the porta pottie first.

• Like 3

We have field B all week, directly south of the main demo field and probably a whopping 500-600 feet from the porta potties. ;)

IMPORTANT FYI:

I've been speaking with Kay from the World Kite Museum to make sure our schedules don't conflict again... Please BE ADVISED - the Red, White, & Blue Mass Ascension is scheduled from 10:00AM to 12:00 PM on Thursday.

To be exquisitely clear, field B is off limits for us until noon on Thursday - Mass Ascension has the right of way until then. ;)

Thanks for your help and cooperation!

• Like 1

Oooooo getting anxious to be there! One week to go! Although I know SOME of you are there already!!

Here are some teaser WSIKF videos to wet the appetite: http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/news/23/WSIKF-videos-%2d-Past-and-Present-%2d-Enjoy!-.html'>http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/news/23/WSIKF-videos-%2d-Past-and-Present-%2d-Enjoy!-.html

I'm getting really gellous I wish I was coming. Though the irony is that I'm not flying as much here in the UK as I used to do, I've had a major life changing experience that has made me rethink my priorities. Still looking forward to a day on The Downs today. :-)

Just a note for any newer pilots that are thinking of joining the event - I recently was on the FB posting for the event, and David K posted a diagram of the kite & pilot positions that do not require any inverted hovering. Take a look at the FB event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/414867438580073/ and I think the diagram is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down (as I write this today).

• Like 2

I just wanted to say thanks to Jim, Lynn, & Bob for inviting me for a team fly with them when I was vacationing in long beach the first part of august. I had a blast and got some well needed practice in. See you all in a week for the grid, and hopefully some more team flying. Thank again, Eric the rookie

• Like 1

I just wanted to say thanks to Jim, Lynn, & Bob for inviting me for a team fly with them when I was vacationing in long beach the first part of august. I had a blast and got some well needed practice in. See you all in a week for the grid, and hopefully some more team flying. Thank again, Eric the rookie

Welcome to the forum! WSIKF is going to be great!

• Like 1

Eric, it was a pleasure to meet and fly with you. See you next week.

Jim

• Like 1

John Barresi and I have been working on animations for the WSIKF Grid 100 later this month. These animation DO NOT use Flash which means they will function on MAC, iPhone, iPad and most other mobile devices including Amazon Kindle Fire.

The initial set of animations are now available at:

http://www.johnnmitchell.com/

Animation/grid100/index.html

I do know it we will have the time to add to this before WSKIF 2013.

You will need JavaScript enabled in your internet browser, which it usually is by default and you will need a later up to date browser of which almost all can handle HTML5 to some extent.

There are mpeg4 and mov video files at:http://johnnmitchell.com/Animation/grid100/index-mp4.html andhttp://johnnmitchell.com/Animation/grid100/index-mov.html . The .mov works well on iPad and Quicktime. The mpeg4 files can be used directly without a browser on Windows, Kindle Fire HD and other devices.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, There was no attempt Saturday for a 10x10 grid (100 Revs) due to lower winds. It is doubtful that there will be an attempt at 100 today probably more due to insufficient revolution pilots being available.

I really thought this was a "Given", it just goes to she nothing can be taken for granted when you rely on the weather. But many congratulation to all who took part, 81 is no mean feat.