Revolution 25th Anniversary - 100 strong at WSIKF! (Aug 19-24, 2013)

KiteLife

So you're coming to WSIKF...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What days will you be attending?

• August 18, Sunday
    • August 19, Monday
    • August 20, Tuesday
    • August 21, Wednesday
    • August 22, Thursday
    • August 23, Friday
    • August 24, Saturday
    • August 25, Sunday
  2. 2. Have you ever flown grid format before?

• Yes, in group of 36 kites (6x6) or less.
    • Yes, in group of more than 36 kites.
    • No, never flown grid but I can't wait!

I've been dipping into this thread, off and on for a while, and getting more than a little bit jealous, if I'm honest.

When I saw John had posted the video my first thought was "why", when he had already posted the diagrams above, but when I watched it and he zoomed in to look at it from an individual pilots point of view, I got it, tucked in there in the crowd, the grid looks way more intimidating even as a plastic parachute man.

I don’t want to tread on John’s toes here but I would like to clarify a few points and leave a few tips for anyone intimidated by the grid. I hadn’t really thought of it before but having watched the video I realized that we are not dealing with one grid we are actually dealing with two, The Kite Grid and The Pilot’s Grid, and although they are connected by several mile of line, (John has already done that calculation), it does help to distinguish between the two.

The really important one is The Kite Grid. The zigzag in the pilot columns is an irritating but necessary complication to keep The Pilot Grid compact, by shortening the back to font size of columns, and keeping The Kite Grid flatter (more vertical) in the sky.

Once you have been assigned your position in The Grid and established your reference points, i.e. the pilot to your left, the pilot to your right, and your position relative to the pilots in front of you (in your zigzagged column). You need to think of this position as home. Whilst the kites are in he air, there may be a little bit of movement within The Pilot Grid, but only a very little and you should always be aiming to return home.

When I first flew The Grid, Stephen Hoath was running the show and he introduced me to the very experienced fliers who were to be my reference points, and the grid was built in the arena with kites. However if there are a lot of Grid Virgins, John may decide to rehearse The Pilot Grid without kites so that people can find there reference points. Either way, don’t let it stress you. From what I have read there are several days set aside for this so any grid virgins should have the opportunity to “Pop Their Cherry” on a smaller grid.

Having established your position on the ground you need to work out your kite’s position in The Kite Grid. You need to know the kite to your left, the kite to your right the one above and the on below. You then need to establish Row and Column numbers and weather they are odd or even, for the threads. “Odds Left, Evens Right” you need to know without thinking “am I odd or am I even?”

That, once upon a time that was the end of the pre mega-fly planning, but now it may well be worth looking at the John’s post #21 above where he talks of concentric balls and splitting the 10x10 grid into 4x 5x5 grids for smaller figures as these will require a complete re think of the whole “am I odd or even question”. But don’t let that scare you, by the time John gets to calling those moves he will have started to allow more thinking time as even the more experienced Team Fliers will require thinking time.

That is more or less the end of this latest, Stone in Shoe Massive Missive apart from to list my three big Mega-fly Obsevations :-

• It is not difficult, just scary.
  • It is not quite so scary in there, as it looks from the outside.
  • In this game, size really doesn’t matter (grid size that is). No matter how big the grid is the most you will have to worry about is yours and four other kites, the one above the one below, the one to your left and the one to your right, anything else is somebody else’s problem.
  • Like 3

I would think that many of the fliers in this grid would have flown in the 64 grid. We, unfortunately, have a much harder time getting large numbers together on this side of the pond. As for me, except for Kite Party, WSIKF and a few festivals, I am thrilled when I can get eight.

Lynn and I are ready for, hopefully, the same fun filled week as we had leading up the 64. Flying in groups and helping to raise both the level of flying and the level of confidence of newer fliers.

We hate to wish our lives away, but tomorrow would be none to soon. We plan to be in Long Beach the entire month of August.

Oh,,,,,, fresh 120s might be a good idea.

Cheers...........

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update from Illinois . . . at current count I think we'll have at least six or seven Illinois Kite Enthusiast (IKE) members from Illinois at WSIKF to participate in the grid, and several other IKE members from other states as well. We're hoping to fill a whole column of IKE members.

• Like 1

All kites face right. Outside kites, that's rows and columns1 and 10 move counter clockwise, rows and columns 2 and 9 move clockwise, rows and columns 3 and 8 counter clockwise etc. alternating through the grid, one space. GO. One more space, GO. Back one space, GO. One more space, GO.

Might just work. Could go three, four might be one too many for the kites in the center of the grid. I never twister more than three positions as the forth may cause a "lock" which could really cause problems in this situation.

I know you were just kidding about me calling a twister with 100 kites, but it got me thinking, which could be good or bad. That lead to the 100 kite "Super Blender" which I outlined above. Not hard or complicated, but certain to be a "crowd pleaser".

• Like 1

All kites face right. Outside kites, that's rows and columns1 and 10 move counter clockwise, rows and columns 2 and 9 move clockwise, rows and columns 3 and 8 counter clockwise etc. alternating through the grid, one space. GO. One more space, GO. Back one space, GO. One more space, GO.

Might just work. Could go three, four might be one too many for the kites in the center of the grid. I never twister more than three positions as the forth may cause a "lock" which could really cause problems in this situation. . . . .

Sounds very similar to what we did with concentric balls with The 47 in Portsmouth 2008.

Come on Jim you've had 5 years to practice. ;-P

• 1 month later...
One month to go!!

Actually...even sooner for me...I think I'll get there about the 11th or 12th! smile.png

(making line sets every day till then...)

I really wish all the fliers and supporters every success in this event.

The Decs will be at Portsmouth and Bristol to celebrate our 25 years of team flying.

Felix

• Like 3

I have travelled from SeaTac/Seattle to Long Beach enough times to memorise the route.

Just wish I was doing it this year...

Felix

• Like 1

hey kids, for us first timers to WSIKF, what's the typical weather,temps? and yes I am packing rain gear too. can't wait to meet you too Jynx. B-)

Low 70's is typical. It can hover in the upper 60s and go as high as the low 80s (then watch all the locals freak about how hot it is).

Looking forward to meeting you Dave and Jynx, I've heard so much about you both.

-Alden

• Like 1

hey kids, for us first timers to WSIKF, what's the typical weather,temps? and yes I am packing rain gear too. can't wait to meet you too Jynx. B-)

...still the same one you've been meeting for years... Silly!!!

Looking forward to meeting you (again) too!!!!!!!!!

It can be cool. The prevailing wind has you looking sunward most of the day, so sunglasses, sunscreen, a Buff, a wide brimmed hat, and clothes you can shed or add. The water temp runs 53 - 55F, so the laboratory grad winds can be brisk.

• Like 1