Eliot Shook mesh weave info

markg

I believe we need to change the way we describe a vented sail, so that it reflects the percentage of sail area that is air space.

While that may be a neat way to quantify it, then you'd have to start adding in a measure of how and where it loads to keep the comparison fair :P

(eg, my Polo venteds load NOTHING like my Pro sails)

Just my $0.02 of fuel to the nerdy engineering fire :devil:

Nicely said! Alden has done the Spaghetti Mesh!

NO, NO, NO ... don't run away Cath, come back ... please ... pretty please.

Okay Cath, so you've probably seen Alden's sad attempt at building a weave kite. Poor guy got the outline correct, but then simply couldn't figure out the weave pattern so stopped right there. If Elliot built that kite it obviously would look much better, but what percent label would he apply?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Tom

Hey Rich, what were you guys flying here last year in that hurricane? What percentage weave? How did you find it performed during that windstorm? You seemed pretty unphased by it if I remember correctly.

Bart

That was the 100% probably with a 3 wrap.

And yea, that sail stands up to quite a gale!!!! Swift Current's or otherwise!

NO, NO, NO ... don't run away Cath, come back ... please ... pretty please.

Okay Cath, so you've probably seen Alden's sad attempt at building a weave kite. Poor guy got the outline correct, but then simply couldn't figure out the weave pattern so stopped right there. If Elliot built that kite it obviously would look much better, but what percent label would he apply?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Tom

Tom, you mean the Victoria's Secret Kite??

Eliot says "that's not a mesh, it's a ripstop covered frame. Rev will never sanction it - there's no place for the Logo!" :kid_smartass:

Hope All of you are going to Ocean City MD this weekend - we're closed for the weekend to go up there.

See Ya' Soon Jay!

I'm with Wayne on the quest for more info on the mesh, and comparative pictures would help visualise the whole thing.

Maybe Cath could put the record straight? I tried to get this sort of info a while back by emailing FSK with view to buying one, but sadly didn't get a reply.

I hope to get out and fly tomorrow but even if I don't I'll frame em up and do some side by side shots for you.

The difference is in the measurements of the individual strips, which even if I knew wouldn't say cause it's not my place. That said though, the difference is dynamic. Don't let that difference in size of those strips fool you, the range of both the 100 & the 75 are sweet at the extreme top and bottom of the window.

Just saying........

BTW......These pics are of a 75% mesh that weren't taken at some beach in OC last march by John Chilese.

post-1822-13487025587611_thumb.jpgpost-1822-13487026661229_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
25% (The devil made me do it)

I believe it refers to the amount of the sail area that is made of strips as opposed to solid fabric. If you look at his kites you'll notice that on most the center is not mesh, but some are mesh in entirety, including the center (where the rev logo usually is).

Hey folks - Eliot's ALWAYS have a solid center panel with the Rev logo, and after the first few, they also have the compass rose. Full mesh center panel is either Alden's g-string/Vickie or a chinese knockoff.

FYI, after 6 years of flying this design, I still love the smoothness of it!

Cath

• Like 1

Sorry Wayne, that request is simply not a reasonable expectation in this electronic day and age, proprietary knowledge and all. Rev doesn't share their dimensions publicly. If you want to know exactly what size one is, then you need to borrow or acquire it, but they're not sending you a diagram nor even a cocktail napkin sketch

surely you would adopt the same non-disclosure attitude in Shook's position. This is a revenue source and a highly desired product.

the mesh strips are different sizes and the location of them varies as well, depending on which model you desire, (40%, 75% or 100%)

Sorry Wayne, that request is simply not a reasonable expectation in this electronic day and age, proprietary knowledge and all. Rev doesn't share their dimensions publicly. If you want to know exactly what size one is, then you need to borrow or acquire it

I suspect Waynes intention is to take the guesswork out of the equasion for would-be buyers, not copyright infringement. One could argue that it is similarly unreasonable to expect a buyer (especially ones in other countries or no access to someone with the various options) to shell out the $$$ on a guess and hope they got it right.

We've all seen that the knockoff companies and those who make something for personal use have had no problem at all getting the specifics (right down to signature copies) so I doubt a partial photo showing how the viarious block sizes relate to each other would make any difference at all.

Not my business, not my call, but I think that the request is valid and, done correctly, such an image can assist potential buyers without assisting would be copy cats (who already make the mesh).

My $0.02 ... YMMV

In no way was I hoping to help any copy cats!!! I was just hoping we could get a decent comparison of what each % means, so it could clear up confusion!

RICH - had it airborne once at the march Rev clinic, only time we've had enough wind to really fly it!! Going to a fest this weekend, hope that changes!! ani_victory.gif

OK, I will! The only time I flew it was pretty strong winds!! Katrina really wasn't too impressed at KP, must been the wind was a bit light! But at the clinic, it really came alive and showed what it can do!! Inputs that usually only make a "B" do 180* turns, almost got 540* turns out of it!! Looking forward to putting it up again!!

Sorry Wayne, that request is simply not a reasonable expectation in this electronic day and age, proprietary knowledge and all. Rev doesn't share their dimensions publicly. If you want to know exactly what size one is, then you need to borrow or acquire it, but they're not sending you a diagram nor even a cocktail napkin sketch

surely you would adopt the same non-disclosure attitude in Shook's position. This is a revenue source and a highly desired product.

the mesh strips are different sizes and the location of them varies as well, depending on which model you desire, (40%, 75% or 100%)

Is it just me, or is this not what Wayne was asking? I don't think he was asking for a diagram or for any kind of dimensions. Merely a photo of each of the three kites labeled to have a visual representation of the difference. Hell, there was already a photo posted earlier of a 75%. Refusal of this request is like refusing to show pictures of a mid-vent and a full-vent for fear of copyright infringement. Might as well just not make the damn things if you can't take pictures of them. I'm sure there are plenty of photos out there of the Shook mesh kites; would it really be so bad to grab three and label them as 40%, 75%, and 100%? Sorry, this just seems really ridiculous.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or is this not what Wayne was asking? I don't think he was asking for a diagram or for any kind of dimensions. Merely a photo of each of the three kites labeled to have a visual representation of the difference. Hell, there was already a photo posted earlier of a 75%. Refusal of this request is like refusing to show pictures of a mid-vent and a full-vent for fear of copyright infringement. Might as well just not make the damn things if you can't take pictures of them. I'm sure there are plenty of photos out there of the Shook mesh kites; would it really be so bad to grab three and label them as 40%, 75%, and 100%? Sorry, this just seems really ridiculous.

Calm down Watty it's okay, breath....... Benani_wallbash.gifani_wallbash.gifani_wallbash.gif

• Like 4

Sorry to have caused such a mess in here!!! I was only hoping to get some simple comparisons of the 3 meshes, to show the differences between %s!! No tech info, no exact measurements, just simple pix representing the kites, so we could see the differences first hand, in one place, that's all!

My apologies!! ani_giveup.gif

• Like 1

75%, kites will be at Wildwood if you want to do a comparison of bridles

post-92-0-05228500-1368811162_thumb.jpg

and a 100%

post-92-0-07275000-1368811491_thumb.jpg

Dennis Smith has the 40% and is certain to be there

Try all three models and then save a big wad of money up,..... 'cause you know what's going to happen next!

Hey, folks, this is Eliot writing under Cath's ID...

The best response in this whole string is:

100% = Full-vent
75% = Twix a full-vent and a mid-vent
40% = Mid-vent

post-50-0-37121000-1368818917_thumb.jpg

In the attached photo, the kite on the left is "75%", the center kite is "100%" and kite on the right is "40%".

Please note that I identify all the "75%" and "40%" kites and mark them accordingly.

• Like 2