Eliot Shook mesh weave info

markg

25% (The devil made me do it)

I believe it refers to the amount of the sail area that is made of strips as opposed to solid fabric. If you look at his kites you'll notice that on most the center is not mesh, but some are mesh in entirety, including the center (where the rev logo usually is).

Shook's mesh rev kites are popular because they are way lighter in weight (no heavy mesh material) for the same purchased wind range compared to any other Rev products. Granted you paid more, but it's almost like getting two kites in one. It will fly in lower winds and really big turbulent gusts equally well. Changing out the frames gets you a 25 or 30 mph spread of usable wind ranges. Buying two "Pros" or one Shook Mesh? I've flown the full weave (100%) in 8 and steady winds over 40 mph with the same green race frame. If I switched to my B-series Pros I'd have had three of 'em out instead of just one.

Some folks say "there's not enough hard surface to push against" when using a fabric weave doing hard tricks or flailing. Well in the hands of a master pilot the shook mesh revs will do almost every trick i've ever witnessed. I own 3 of them and they are great kites, smooth and versatile, good looking too!

You can design it yourself and Elliot will build away to satisfy your desires and dreams. Plus he sells all the stuff necessary to customize the flight dynamics if your interested in exploring new variables. Line, handles, magic sticks, different bridle options, sail graphics and patterns. Truly a masterpiece worthy of the cost of admission.

• Like 1

Shook's mesh rev kites are popular because they are way lighter in weight (no heavy mesh material) for the same purchased wind range compared to any other Rev products. Granted you paid more, but it's almost like getting two kites in one. It will fly in lower winds and really big turbulent gusts equally well. Changing out the frames gets you a 25 or 30 mph spread of usable wind ranges. Buying two "Pros" or one Shook Mesh? I've flown the full weave (100%) in 8 and steady winds over 40 mph with the same green race frame. If I switched to my B-series Pros I'd have had three of 'em out instead of just one.

Had I purchased my Shook first, I wouldn't own my full vent or any other vent.

This is kind of on topic ...

Does the % weave represent the percent of fabric relative to a full sail? For example: a 65% weave would be 65% fabric and 35% "holes" ... while a 40% weave would be 40% fabric and 60% holes.

It would seem to me that if 100% is equivalent to a full-vent sail, 40% is equivalent to a mid-vent and the 75% is between a full- and mid-vent, the percentage probably indicates the amount of venting ("holes") relative to the full-vent's venting.

Looking at the full- and mid-vent sails, this appears to be about right. I have to say, though, that I've never calculated the amount of screening in the full- and mid-vent sails to compare them. :blue-sleepy::lol:

Bob,

You've got to be a little careful when Rich and Alden start working together ... they would leave Laural and Hardy speechless.

Rich didn't correct Alden on his 100% equals a full vent. He only corrected the mid-vent percentage. So, it does look like your logic makes sense:

100% = Full-vent

75% = Twix a full-vent and a mid-vent

40% = Mid-vent

Hmmm ... that means if Elliot built a mesh sail to be equivalent to an extra-vent, the designation would be something like 150%l!!!

Cheers,

Tom

Rich didn't correct Alden on his 100% equals a full vent. He only corrected the mid-vent percentage. So, it does look like your logic makes sense:

100% = Full-vent

40% = Mid-vent

Hmmm ... that means if Elliot built a mesh sail to be equivalent to an extra-vent, the designation would be something like 150%l!!!

Cheers,

Tom

If anyone could do that, it'd be Mr Shook.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

I believe we need to change the way we describe a vented sail, so that it reflects the percentage of sail area that is air space. If we refer to a kite as a 100% or 150% vent it sounds as if we're saying it has no sail fabric at all! In other words, if we call it a 25% vent, it should mean that 25% of the sail is holes and 75% is fabric. I have been working on a few vented designs and after doing the math, I have found that even those with lots of great big holes do not exceed 50% air space.

Even the extra-vent pros do not exceed 25% air space, because the mesh itself is less than 50% airspace. I'll do the math and post the results here when I have concluded the measurements.

The surface area that a framed 1.5 Rev presents to the wind is approximately 1820 square inches.

Bob,

You've got to be a little careful when Rich and Alden start working together ... they would leave Laural and Hardy speechless.

100% = Full-vent

40% = Mid-vent

Cheers,

Tom

Nope. Not replying to Rich and Alden, just your earlier querie, and based on Cath's correction of the earlier percents. I've been wondering about these numbers, too, and it finally came together. :P

Your thoughts about the Xvent are on target. Imagine, a spaghetti-like mesh. :lol:

I saw a 100% vented "REV II style" back in the late 90s. I don't have a picture, but I think it had a Dacron or similar leading edge. The rest was all screen.

It was in Fano, Denmark and the wind was quite strong. I noticed that it did fly quite well in that wind.

I never saw it again nor did I note the name of the owner.

Bob,

100% = Full-vent

40% = Mid-vent

Cheers,

Tom

In fact dugard, lamasters & I had that very conversation with Elliot some time ago and damned if I recall the outcome...insert comment here...but it definitely was a laughfest!

Anyway it's safe to say the first kite outta my bag will likely be the 75 first unless it is dead calm. On 50,75 or 100, 50s and a green race frame, it flies down to an oh so sweet float and slackline machine!

The 100 easily flew in the near steady 20mph wind that was WSIKF this year also with green race. Could easily have gone to 3 wraps or even fours if need be for even higher breeze but it was far too long to walk and I was just plain lazy!

Oh yeah......Alden who?