New in REV's

Kristof

Hallo everyone!

I'm Kristof, living in Belgium and have my REV SLE for 2 days now. cool.gif

I flew yesterday for the first time and have to admit its way harder then I expected it to be. I used to fly 2 lines when I was a kid. But 4 lines is a way different story. I could get the kite in the air after a few attempts, but after a turn or 3 I mostly hit the ground again, no matter what I did the kite seemed to have his own will. angry.gif

It's gonna be my fault offfcourse, I just dont do it by intention.

I do have a few questions.

My left top/ bottom line are the same lenght as the right ones. But must the lines top/ bottom be the same lenght on the same handle as well? Cause now I saw, when I lifted the kite up (LE top) my bottom lines came above my toplines when rotating the handels tumbs back.

Now a way bigger problem, how to repair a smal torn in the sail (1"1/2)? The kite fel flat on his belly in the wet sand. It probably torn on a seashell when I pulled the lines to get it back up. kid_cussing.gif Lesson learned: when flat, stake the handles and walk to the kite.

Do I just tape it, or can I carefully stitch it?

greetings.

"Perfect" will require you to replace the violated panel, sewing back into the same holes once all the threads are removed from the remaining sail pieces.

A small tear or hole can be "fixed" with crazy glue. On the back side of the kite, place some painter's tape over the carefully aligned parts of the sail hole or tear. You want it as smooth as possible, both the sail and the tape on top of it. Start over if you need to!!! When all's properly aligned PERFECTLY burnish the tape down tightly with your finger nail, or some other hard curved surface.

Turn the kite over and carefully trace a THIN bead of crazy glue, applied along those tear lines. Wait until it dries, not five minutes either! It will take longer than you think is appropriate if you're expecting a permanent solution.

When everything is nice & dry carefully peel-up the painter's tape and your sail should be whole again. Doug Charleville dropped his Rev onto a barbered wire fence and repaired extensive damage with this process. I believe he's still using that kite. Your repair needs are substantially less, so you should have no problems whatsoever.

To tune your handles make sure you have leaders witha series of adjusting knots. Drop all four lines onto a well placed stake and pull the handles up tightly, aligned exactly next to each other. The line that droops is too long. Adjust your leaders or lines until both handles align perfectly. Now go affix the staked loops onto your kite. Turn the kite upside down, resting on the leading edge. Readjust your leaders and lines until the kite will back-up from this inverted position. That is how much "down" should be in your tuning. In low wind you may need to move your feet also. "Less is more" relax your grip, hold the handles so softly they can be ripped from your grasp. Tiny movements!

"Perfect" will require you to replace the violated panel, sewing back into the same holes once all the threads are removed from the remaining sail pieces.

A small tear or hole can be "fixed" with crazy glue. On the back side of the kite, place some painter's tape over the carefully aligned parts of the sail hole or tear. You want it as smooth as possible, both the sail and the tape on top of it. Start over if you need to!!! When all's properly aligned PERFECTLY burnish the tape down tightly with your finger nail, or some other hard curved surface.

Turn the kite over and carefully trace a THIN bead of crazy glue, applied along those tear lines. Wait until it dries, not five minutes either! It will take longer than you think is appropriate if you're expecting a permanent solution.

When everything is nice & dry carefully peel-up the painter's tape and your sail should be whole again. Doug Charleville dropped his Rev onto a barbered wire fence and repaired extensive damage with this process. I believe he's still using that kite. Your repair needs are substantially less, so you should have no problems whatsoever.

To tune your handles make sure you have leaders witha series of adjusting knots. Drop all four lines onto a well placed stake and pull the handles up tightly, aligned exactly next to each other. The line that droops is too long. Adjust your leaders or lines until both handles align perfectly. Now go affix the staked loops onto your kite. Turn the kite upside down, resting on the leading edge. Readjust your leaders and lines until the kite will back-up from this inverted position. That is how much "down" should be in your tuning. In low wind you may need to move your feet also. "Less is more" relax your grip, hold the handles so softly they can be ripped from your grasp. Tiny movements!

Thank you for this nice explenation off how to repair the damage.

Also defenatly will try to tune my handles.

Remember - it's not tuning the handles - it's adjusting your lines!! By tuning your handles, we mean adjusting the lines on the knots for that days flying conditions! There is no one perfect knot position that works for all winds, rather you have to adjust on a constant basis for what you encounter daily!! That's why the knotted leaders, constant adjusting for the day!!kid_devlish.gif

If I can give 1 piece of advise - pretty much forget all your dualie habits, quads work entirely different!! GIVE to the kite, pulling the lines tight just drives your kite HARDER into the ground, risking breakage!! If all looks lost and crashing is imminent, take a step forward to take the power out of the kite and crashes will be a lot gentler!!

PS: remember to breathe!!!kid_devlish.gif

Remember - it's not tuning the handles - it's adjusting your lines!! By tuning your handles, we mean adjusting the lines on the knots for that days flying conditions! There is no one perfect knot position that works for all winds, rather you have to adjust on a constant basis for what you encounter daily!! That's why the knotted leaders, constant adjusting for the day!!kid_devlish.gif

If I can give 1 piece of advise - pretty much forget all your dualie habits, quads work entirely different!! GIVE to the kite, pulling the lines tight just drives your kite HARDER into the ground, risking breakage!! If all looks lost and crashing is imminent, take a step forward to take the power out of the kite and crashes will be a lot gentler!!

PS: remember to breathe!!!kid_devlish.gif

All those different terms so close to be the same. blink.gif Think it will take me a while befor I have them all. smile.gif

Stepping forward while crashing is a good tip! Thx.