Getting ready to plunge

efiniluvr

Question

Hi everyone,

My name is Jeff, and I recently got hooked on sport kites. I've drooling over the Rev's for a while and am ready to take the plunge, but I am a bit confused. So before I place an order, would the Rev Community help me understand a few things? Below is an email excerpt that I send to the vendor and I'm hoping you can help me decide as well.

My wind conditions up here in Northern California can vary greatly. If I head to the San Francisco coast or the Berkeley Marina (where the BKF is held annually), the gusts can vary greatly, anywhere from 5-20mph. But often times, I'll be flying inland where the wind is no more than 10mph. Based on my descriptions, can you help me with some of my questions: 1)Would you recommend a full sail or a mid vent?2)Would you recommend an upgrade to the race frame? If so, which frame to replace, the 2 wrap or the 3 wrap?3)What length of line set do you recommend as the first lineset to learn on? Thank you very much,-Jeff

p.s. I recently registered on kitelife under the same screen name.

22 answers to this question

Hi everyone,

My name is Jeff, and I recently got hooked on sport kites. I've drooling over the Rev's for a while and am ready to take the plunge, but I am a bit confused. So before I place an order, would the Rev Community help me understand a few things? Below is an email excerpt that I send to the vendor and I'm hoping you can help me decide as well.

My wind conditions up here in Northern California can vary greatly. If I head to the San Francisco coast or the Berkeley Marina (where the BKF is held annually), the gusts can vary greatly, anywhere from 5-20mph. But often times, I'll be flying inland where the wind is no more than 10mph. Based on my descriptions, can you help me with some of my questions: 1)Would you recommend a full sail or a mid vent?2)Would you recommend an upgrade to the race frame? If so, which frame to replace, the 2 wrap or the 3 wrap?3)What length of line set do you recommend as the first lineset to learn on? Thank you very much,-Jeff

p.s. I recently registered on kitelife under the same screen name.

Start with the Rev 1.5 full sail as assume you will fly inland more then at Berkeley.

If I were to swap out a 2 or a 3 wrap frame set for and race frame set, I would swap the 2 wrap for the race frame set.

The weight of the 2 wrap and race are about the same where the race frame is a much tougher frame.

Hey Jeff- I recently took the plunge at WSIKF, investing in a 1.5 SLE full sail (with 90# 80-foot lines). For the last several days of WSIKF there were pretty variable winds, from super gusty to completely still. Since returning home, local winds have been around 3-6mph, and on a recent good day we had 8-12mph. I invested in a set of race wraps while we were there, in addition to the 3-wrap frame that comes with the 1.5 SLE. Starting out with the higher winds was pretty difficult I must say and it had me wishing for a vented sail, but then the lighter winds made it quite tough to keep even a full sail in the air. Since then, with consistently lower wind speeds, I find myself flying the race wraps almost exclusively and even invested in a shorter line set (50# 50-foot) to improve light wind flying. I'm glad I have the full sail, as it's really the most versatile sail and is great to start out on.

All that being said, here is what one new-comer would recommend to another new-comer:

1) Full sail will serve you best in your local wind conditions. The second you get your Rev, you'll want to fly it all day every day. If the majority of your weather brings 10mph-ish wind, that's the sweet spot for a full sail. Once you learn to control your Rev, you'll be able to fly a full sail in higher winds too (though you'll be so hooked by that point you'll be considering buying a vented sail).

2) Get a set of race wraps. They're sturdy and are an absolute must in light winds if you really want to get out and fly. On that note, definitely get a set of 50# 50-foot lines (or some other short length) as well. 90# 80-foot lines in 3-4mph winds means keeping your kite in the air is far more exercise than it needs to be, unless you have a football field to walk backward across.

3) I love my 80-foot lines, though like I said previously, the 50-foot lines have been my new go-to in light wind, in combo with the race wrap frame. I also invested in a 120-foot line set and like flying them in higher winds. If you're looking for a good all-around set though, 80-foot is a good way to go (and also the length that comes standard with the Rev 1.5). Theresa at the Kite Shoppe sent my lines super-quickly when I ordered the extra sets, which means all the more flying to be had! Experiment with different lengths to see what you like, that's the best way to find out. Generally though, shorter will be more spunky, longer will be more forgiving (and slower in lower winds).

When it comes down to it, you really can't go wrong with any Rev (in any sail, with any frame, or any line length). Take the plunge and get to flying!

My first piece of advise is to find somebody in your area or consider driving to meet-up with other rev pilots.

Fastest way to try different stuff, set-ups, tuning equipment, get a bunch of different opinions for the same subject matter. This action will save you both time and money in the long run! Meeting some other folks you connect with on a personal level is another freebie worthy of consideration. Flying Revs is about developing your own unique style after you gain some mastery over that darn thing. The more differences you are exposed to, the easier it becomes to connect with what you like individually. What are other pilots doing and how can you learn or adapt it to your own style and choices?

Here's an example of what to experience. Some of us like a softer "hand" and a more slippery flying line experience. Downside? it has more give or flexibility too. Some of us prefer a more wire-like flying line experience, not as slippery but no "give" either. But wait, there's more to the equation than just the string itself. Some of us like extended length handles and a more responsive bridle. So you can use "A" string with a 13 inch handles and the stock bridle = a total level of control experience and your preference.

OR You can use string "B" and 15 inch (or longer) plus a replacement bridle = that same level of control for a preference. How does it feel on the end of the lines? Is it comfortable for your grip position. Can you make it do everything you're capable of in control or tricks?

Imagine if you could find half a dozen fliers together, each with their own little preferences? Now you go down the line of kites trying out each person's set-up and see which one you most connect with. Why doesn't matter yet,... or how much it might cost. You're just gaining exposure, all experiences and at no price point, except fuel and lunch money.

Go find somebody to fly with and see how much faster you focus on what's really important to you.

Make a rev-friend, chase some kids, give a lesson, plan a festival, we'll all show-up together,... it'll be great!

Thanks to all for the sound advices.

@ Cody,

Your description is spot on in terms of what I would most likely encounter in my neck of the wood. While I would love to get out to SF bay and fly in the constant wind, a trek like that is not feasible on a daily basis for me. I envision myself flying at my local park more, with the 3-8mph wind. This is the main reason why I don't see the need to get the vented. I like the idea that you can combine the two LE's together to push you higher into the wind range, and at some point, I will most likely get a vented and other rod assortments for a full compliments of kites.

I think I am set to order:

B Series 1.5 with full sail, 3 wrap with race rod (to replace the 2 wrap). For a beginner such as me, would you still recommend a 120 ft line set or go down to 100 ft, perhaps even a 75-80 ft for those light wind days? Or should I stick with the 120 ft to learn the "ropes" on?

Thanks

-Jeff

I would be careful putting both sets of rods in a full sail!! If it's blowing that hard to need them, better to have a vented to swap, than stretch out your full sail!! While the kite sails are tough, I don't recommend flying them in the wrong wind ranges! That's why there are several sails to choose from, each has it's own sweet spot in the wind range!! kid_devlish.gif All this is IMHO, your decisions maybe different!! No matter what - enjoy!!

Ahhhhh, just ordered my first REV B 1.5!!!! I ended up ordering one with a 75ft line set. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Good choice! B) And you got the race rods, it looks like. Everyone should get race rods (black) instead of 2 wraps in my (not so) humble opinion. What about 3 wraps, didya get those too? 75s will serve you well for learning and at kite party, put that on your calendar. March, in Huntington Beach. Hurray Hurrah Huzzah. Welcome!!

Now just one thing: When the wind's really blowing and your leading edge is bending like crazy, it's time to PUT THE KITE DOWN lest you stretch it too much. A little stretch is okay, it's normal. Just tighten the bungies at the trailing edge tips when the sail seems loose. But we don't want you to make the newbie mistake of being so excited to fly, that you just keep going when really it's time to switch up to a vented kite. :blue-cool:

Your 3 wrap frame will handle more wind than a full sail will. In higher winds the centre part of your sail will pull the outer parts inside to allow for the "cup". My EXP was hit with a big gust and did just that, although I just trimmed the tension in the bungies, I wouldn't want to experience that again. I wouldn't advise doubling up the leading edge in your full sail.

Have fun and welcom.

Rob.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

Thanks for all the great advices, you definitely roll out the welcome mat!! I guess I wasn't explicite with what I purchased. I purchased a B 1.5 full sail with the 3 wrap and a race frame. I know the vented is not too far down the line eventually.

-Jeff

Update:

It looks like black fabric is out for at least 3 weeks from Revolution....so my first choice of BLACK/BLUE was out of stock. Neither was my second choice, GREY/BLUE (maybe blue fabric is also out of stock), so I'm settling on my third choice, GREY/RED. Maybe it's due to all of you ordering the B-Pro's and Zen's that's causing the fabric shortagesly.gifsly.gif

Excited is beyond describing my mood as the kite makes its way from AWOC in NV, well at least it's not flying here.... yet. It should arrive Saturday, at which point, I'll be home watching the DVD and some more tutorial from JB on youtube before the maiden flight.

Thanks to Daelyn and Kent @ A Wind Of Change for the expedited delivery, free of charge!!! Why can FedEx deliver at night time, straight to my housesign_kitelife.gif

-Jeff

I finally got the chance to take a look at my new purchase yesterday. I noticed the LPG lineset 80 x 90# are of different length. Specifically the top lines are much longer than the bottom lines. I understand the importance of line equalization; tops being the same length, bottom being the same. And i''ve also read that the tops can be up 7in longer than the bottom. So for a newbie like myself, do I need to make all four lines the same length or just compensate by attaching the top lines on different leads?

Thanks

Jeff

I finally got the chance to take a look at my new purchase yesterday. I noticed the LPG lineset 80 x 90# are of different length.

That's too bad and SOOOOOOO not right!

Yes, all 4 lines should be the exact same length.

I suggest you return them to the retailer and request a correct set.

As a newbie, you don't really want to mess with equalizing a brand new line set right off the bat. Even experienced flyers prefer never to have to mess with that!

Good luck!

Hmmm I'm wondering.... When I've bought pre-made linesets I'm the past, the lines have come attached to each other with a larks head, making it appear one end is longer than the other until the lines have been completely removed from the winder and stretched out.

efiniluvr, did you completely undo the lines from the winder when you checked them, or did you just undo one end from the winder for a quick check?

Android OS ~ Tapatalk2

Hmmm I'm wondering.... When I've bought pre-made linesets I'm the past, the lines have come attached to each other with a larks head, making it appear one end is longer than the other until the lines have been completely removed from the winder and stretched out.

efiniluvr, did you completely undo the lines from the winder when you checked them, or did you just undo one end from the winder for a quick check?

Android OS ~ Tapatalk2

Chaulk one up for a newbie mistake, when I initially checked, I did not "untwist" all the wraps. Like SkyPuppet alluded to, the lines were larkheaded together, giving me the illusion of unequal length lines. After laying out the lines and separating the top from the bottom lines, ALL IS GOOD. The lesson is learned. Now, I'm ready to take it out for a "spin".

Thanks Theresa and SkyPuppet!!

Android OS ~ Tapatalk2

SO true!!

The visual appearance of unequal lines while still on the winder is common! While winding the lines there is always 'overlap' and that causes them to look uneven!

Efin.....Glad to hear all is good!

SO true!!

The visual appearance of unequal lines while still on the winder is common! While winding the lines there is always 'overlap' and that causes them to look uneven!

Efin.....Glad to hear all is good!

I watched JB's line management tutorial, but it's escaping my memory at the moment. Does it matter which line is larks headed to which or does it matter as long as the pair is knotted to each other?

Jeff

I separate the right line from the left line at all times, never letting a line from the other side mix in.

For the left lines, I usually larks head the bottom to the top on one end and the top to the bottom on the other end.

Then I duplicate this for the right side.

The line are then essentially pairs which I wind both on the winder at the same time. You might place a finger between the right and left line as you wind them. I prefer the figure eight winding method. Some prefer the straight winding method. Choose the method that you are most comfortable with. I would suggest that you hold the winder in the same hand when you wind and unwind. I might also suggest that you always wrap your own lines and use the same method. I politely decline offers from others to wind my lines for me. Doing this you will reduce the amount of twists and other mess-ups when you unwind your lines.

Have Fun and Less Tangles!

Hi there,

Hope you're having fun with your new kite. If you're looking to meet up with some local fliers, the Bay Area Sport Kite League has a teaching clinic scheduled for Oct. 20 at the Berkeley Marina, weather permitting. There should be lots of experienced fliers there, and even if you've already figured out the basics by then, it's a great opportunity to pick up lots of useful tips and information. I've been flying for 2 years and I'm still learning a lot at these clinics. I'll probably be there too.