brand new SLE

stickerman

would someone explain to me what this means, please?

5-20 mph (3 wrap frame included)

6-30 mph (4 wrap frame included)

10-45 mph (4 wrap frame w / 3 wrap LE added)

does it means on a

Revolution 1.5 B Series Vented Package

can I install or remove vents for standard, mid or full vent?

thanx

henri

Hi Henri~

While you can't add or remove vents on a kite if the wind changes, you can certainly change kites! :) Which is why a lot of us have several kites in our bag. The standard is a full sail of fabric, the mid vent has one vent panel in each wing, the full vent has two vents per wing and the xtra vent has four per wing. Each added vent panel allows the kite to fly smoothly in increasing winds. The wind range for each kite is very much up to personal preference, so I won't go into that too much here for fear of starting a war. :) Just check out the rev product page to see examples of all the types of kites. (the xtra is only available as a B-Pro).

If your flying area has a lot of high wind days, you may want to look into getting a vented kite so you can fly no matter what. Remember what we were saying about this being an obsession? You'll know it's taken hold when you have a bag full of kites!

Hope that helped,

Bri

would someone explain to me what this means, please?

5-20 mph (3 wrap frame included)

6-30 mph (4 wrap frame included)

10-45 mph (4 wrap frame w / 3 wrap LE added)

does it means on a

Revolution 1.5 B Series Vented Package

can I install or remove vents for standard, mid or full vent?

thanx

henri

Hi Henri,

I think that the answer you are looking for is as follows:-

The Revolution 1.5 B Series Vented Package consists of a single sail with four vented panels, two on each side, with two sets of frames which are approx 6mm diameter.

One set of frames is made of 4 wrap carbon and may be marked with 4 feathers - it is the strongest commonly used Rev 1.5 frame in the 6mm range (Revolution also made/make the 12mm diameter frames SLEs (Super Leading Edge) which are even stronger but are not used much as they do not flex and hinder the 1.5's performance).

The second set of frames is made of 3 wrap carbon and may be marked with three feathers - it is lighter and more flexible than the 4 wrap.

The wind ranges are the recommended ranges for the vented sail with the

3 wrap frame - 5-20mph,

4 wrap frame - 6-30mph,

and using the 4 wrap frame in the leading edge with the end connectors and the 3 wrap frame also inserted into the leading edge pocket (it is a snug fit) 10-45 mph.

It is possible to use 2 wrap in a Full Vent -or even race rods (another type of 6mm carbon frame made by Revolution) to improve the low wind performance.

You could use the fatter SLE frame and possibly increase the high wind range but I will probably be tarred and feathered for making such a suggestion as many regard the SLE being only useful for growing tomatoes.

All of the 1.5 range kites use identical frames and you can mix and match.

The JB packages come with two complete frames the Standard sail and the Mid-vent (two vented panels one on each side) come with 2 wrap and 3 wrap, the Full Vent as above comes with 3 wrap and 4 wrap.

The SLEs used to come with a SLE (12mm) Leading edge of I believe 3 wrap and 3 wrap uprights, more recently SLEs have been supplied with both SLE and 6mm leading edges in 3 wrap.

Some dealers will allow you to change the type of frames supplied with the packages.

If you buy a JB standard and JB Full Vent you will have two sails (Standard and Full Vent) and one set of 2 wraps, two sets of 3 wraps, and one set of 4 wraps.

A well equipped flier will probably have standard, Mid-Vent, and Full Vent sails with race, 2, 3 and 4 wrap frames and will choose the combination of sail and frame to match the conditions.

A mid-vent is really a luxury but venting does help smooth out lumpy winds, the normal purchase route is Standard, then Full Vent, then Mid-Vent, then SUL, then a Rev1, then a Zen then.......

Cheers

Stephen

the normal purchase route is Standard, then Full Vent, then Mid-Vent, then SUL, then a Rev1, then a Zen then.......

Don't forget the other ends of the "bell shaped curve" of Rev buying . . . . . Indoor and Shockwave/Supersonic/Blast . . . . . and then the real outliers - Masterpiece kites. :)

All of a sudden I want to do some statistical analysis of Revolution's sales history data . . . .

for sure Theresa!

hotel room booked for 15th and 16th sept.

very near kites aera.

GTE, i know, but i don't want to become a collector stickerman ;-)

just have a standard for normal wind and need a vented for big wind.

maybe, one day, a custom kite with my logo on. maybe, not sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I reassure you, stroke survivor,

I've just bought a zen.

(it was a joke, I hate begging here as elsewhere!)

Seems you better had bought a full vented for the windconditions we have last days in Belgium. wink.gif

At least, here in Antwerp its strong winds. kid_cussing.gifOver 20 mph (5 Bf) whit windblast to 40 mph (7Bf). So no flying for me whit my standard.