Tired of your Zen? Trade for other Rev's?

genesant

Probably won't find any interest in this but I thought I would toss it out anyway. I have had a hankering for a Zen and since I don't often fly my Rev I or my Supersonic, I was thinking of seeing if anyone in the Northwest is interested in some kind of trade.

Hi there!!

It sure doesn't hurt to ask! But it's been my experience that when someone gets a Pro...especially at $440....they keep their Pro!

Soooooo....good luck...and if you don't find one for trade down the road...give me a call! :)

Will you be at WSIKF?

it's been my experience that when someone gets a Pro...they keep their Pro!

Yep. This was only on the off-chance that someone did not like their Zen after getting it and were in the mood for different flavors of flying. I may end up buying one but that would make me have 10 Rev's. Kind of a psychological barrier (marital) that I am reluctant to hit.

So your limit is 9 ...

1. Zen
  2. Pro Standard
  3. Pro Mid
  4. Pro Vent
  5. Pro Xtra
  6. B2 Standard
  7. B2 Vent

That would leave you 2 more to pick from the Blast (std and vented), Indoor, Masterpieces, Polo or other printed sails, etc :devil:

You could also try getting a race frame (or green race frame for stiffness) for the rev 1. That should lighten things up a bit.

I originally ordered it with a two wrap 1/4" frame in it and that is the way I flew it for a couple years. I recently changed the middle rod to a 3 wrap and I like that combo a little better and it flys fine in low winds. Do you think the other rods you mentioned will change its personality much? I fly to Hard Rock or Heavy metal usually and the Rev I is just a lot mellower than my mood most of the time. I have a feeling that is probably true of the Zen but I havn't had a chance to find out.

I like my Rev II's more than I like the Supersonic. I like my 2-4 a lot and the Supersonic has similiar flight characteristics but the SS also does not fit my mood most of the time.

If light wind flying is what you're looking for - you might consider an SUL SLE!! I know - it doesn't have all the improvements of the "B", but it's a great light wind flyer in it's own right!! Paired with some 50# lines (30', 50', 120'), it's not a Zen, but can get down to some pretty low winds and it retains the feel of a 1.5 Rev! Just IMHO!!

I do have four 1.5's and that is the style I fly mostly. One of them is a Ninja Eyes standard sail and songs have a real special feel with it looking back at me. I very seldom pull out the mid vent or the vented Barresi's since the winds here don't allow it often. Usually 1 to 5mph. When the standard sails get to be to much effort to keep in the air the Rev I fills the gap nicely. Just too boring. So if as I suspected the Zen is similiar to the Rev I for mellowness I definitly should not get one. Thanks to all of you for the information and ideas and for saving me the money of getting a Zen. Maybe the mentioned SUL 1.5 with lighter lines is worth a look.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been flying in and around the Corvallis area for 15+ years now so I know what you mean when it comes to our wind. I'm curious about your flying style. Do you prefer or mostly fly standing still or do you move around with the kite? Do you fly using the full 360 X 180 window when the wind is down under 2 mph?

Just curious. I use my Pro std., Race frame with the 3 wrap center LE and 30ft 90# line most of the time as an idividual flier when the wind is 3mph or less. A 1.5 with 2 wrap or Race frame will fly indoors. Just curious.

Do you prefer or mostly fly standing still or do you move around with the kite? Do you fly using the full 360 X 180 window when the wind is down under 2 mph?

With low wind I move a-lot but since I mostly fly 120's I don't try 360's or up and overs. I've only done a 360 once and it did not agree with my knee which has a broken acl. To me the fun wind speed is 3-5 mph. The energy in most of my music matches that speed the best. I can readily fly lower wind than that with my 1.5 standard sail but a fair amount of time is involved in gaining ground after doing some moves. Kinda takes me out of the music which is when I switch to the Rev I . It does not require as much effort to keep aloft in low winds but as we all decided earlier it is a sloooooow mellow kite. Maybe mellow will be easier to take as I get older.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to spank my kite in the light wind. Faster tempo music, usually 30' lines using my arms and upper body to help save my legs. Between my knees and lower back I get ya on the moving too much as you get older. Nothing like taking a step only to feel your knee pop out and back in. Kinda kills the flying mood. If you get the chance, Philomath, for some reason is pretty consistant in having more than enough wind to fly between 5:30 and about 10 pm. Probably even get some opportunities to break out the Mid or Full Vent. I gotta start getting out to warm up for Lincoln City next month. Sure I'm rusty after about.... well actually not sure how long it's been since I've been out to fly. Can't wait to get on the line again. Ready for a day of permagrin... lol